Why become a member? ×

Finding *THE* bass - following from the 'end of GAS' topic...

Gust0o

I've chopped and changed loads since coming on BC, but I've not even thought about getting rid of my Blade. Since that's the bit I feel when I play it's my most important piece of kit. Dirtboxes, wobblyboxes, filters and loud (really loud) amps are nice, but I don't really have the same connection with them as my bass.

Bottle's sig says it all - " This is [i]my[/i] bass, there are many like it, but this one is [i]mine[/i].

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330597599' post='1559889']
No shame in that. A lot of people on here are the bass-playing equivalent of chronic masturbators! :D
[/quote]

..and :D again!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330597574' post='1559888']
In my experience the peak of the bang:buck bell curve tends to happen around the £6-700 mark - it will get you a bass from a good factory with no structural or electrical issues. And you should be able to play that for the rest of your life.
[/quote]

I can see that. I personally have not the cash to spend on a hand built beauty unless I was able to sell all my flock at top dollar and compromise a bit on specification, but then I'd never be able to take it anywhere to annoy ather people with my limited talent. I do feel quite "settled" with my gear now, and am lucky enough to have a wife who will accept that 4 basses is an acceptable amount of kit.

Broadly speaking I'm a happy bunny :)

"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world....”
― [url="http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1020792.Antoine_de_Saint_Exup_ry"]Antoine de Saint-Exupéry[/url]

Perhaps it's not about waiting for "the one" to appear, but about making the one you have "the one" by getting to know it inside out.

I think my problem is that I like playing different basses, and I like the whole purchasing a new thing process (bit of research, looking around, listening, waiting for it to arrive etc,.)
I am just the same with cameras, bikes and any other things I get interested in. Usually happy enough with the items I already own but always fancy something different. Sometimes the replacement is better, sometimes worse but i never think it will make me a better player, rider, photographer etc,.

Think I need to get into Buddhism or something...

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1330611932' post='1560353']
"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world....”
― [url="http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1020792.Antoine_de_Saint_Exup_ry"]Antoine de Saint-Exupéry[/url]

Perhaps it's not about waiting for "the one" to appear, but about making the one you have "the one" by getting to know it inside out.
[/quote]

Lovely mate. It's a book full of wisdom that one.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1330611932' post='1560353']

[/quote]

And I think this is what I'm approaching, by modding, modding, modding basses, now I have the experience of many other basses and I understand which elements of which bass appeal to me. If I get the mix right, I'll have a unique bass which suits me uniquely. If I hadn't owned new Fenders and old Fenders and Gibsons and Overwaters and Goodfellows and Warwicks and Yamahas and Laklands and Ibanezes and lots of others, I wouldn't know this.

I'll still need at least three of them...can I call them The Ones? :D

On the basis of our dip into the Alchemist, I think the closest contender for my 'one' would be my old Charvel - a cheap little bass, but an absolute trooper.

To lower the cultural tone some, with an Indiana Jones reference, perhaps it's not about assuming then holy grail is covered with gold and gems. Indiana Jones and the last crusade, that one ;)

I've just taken receipt of 'the one' this morning. My custom Precision has arrived. I was having a few qualms about whether it would be as good as I was hoping, but of course it is, and it is already the best bass I have ever owned.

So far I've had a shower, done the school run, been to the the supermarket, argued with a beggar in the street, taken a prescription to the chemists and bought some flowers, all whilst wearing the bass. I'm not sure it's going to be possible to facilitate a bunk-up while wearing it, but hey, I'm willing to give it a go. Pics and so forth in the proper place, very soon! Pics of the bass, that is. Just the bass.

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1330609759' post='1560298']
Your turn to enlighten me as I have no idea? Bear in mind I've read a lot of buddhist rubbish though :)
[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alchemist-Fable-About-Following-Dream/dp/0722532938

Well I've owned quite a few brands but have always felt at home with Fenders. I always get a bass then find little things which bug me about the bass and then sell it on. "The one" for me will probably be either a Jazz or Precision, I have yet to find it though! I do have my eye on a nice Jazz bass at the moment, I'll have to see if anything comes of it! ;)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330617563' post='1560485']
On the basis of our dip into the Alchemist, I think the closest contender for my 'one' would be my old Charvel - a cheap little bass, but an absolute trooper.

To lower the cultural tone some, with an Indiana Jones reference, perhaps it's not about assuming then holy grail is covered with gold and gems. Indiana Jones and the last crusade, that one ;)
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a bit of Indy. :) I think the general assumption some people have that it's about finding the Holy Grail is a bit flawed though; that may be the case for some, but I'm sure it isn't the case for all.

If you look at guitarists, few people would see something wrong with them owning, say, a Strat, an LP and a Tele, as they all sound different and potentially do different jobs. Same principal applies.

I thought it had finally happened. The Wal fretless 4-string I bought from Clarky just fitted me like a glove, I felt (and feel) totally at home playing it, in a way that no other fretless and very few other basses at all have come close to.

Then he brought his new Wal fretless 4-string round for me to play ... and it was just as nice.

They're just bits of wood & wire. Get over it. :D

I've been thinking about this recently. I've had a massive clearout of basses I thought I would never part with (my Bravewood J for example). The key thing that has made me focus on one electric (my Rickenbacker) is recording an album with my band. We decided to track very quickly with the same gear to give the album a single, unified character and it really worked. So I'm now down to a double bass and a Rickenbacker which is an unusual situation for me. I just felt I didn;t need the other basses.

It reminds me of when I was in a touring band back in the mid nineties. I was not so worried about the bass itself etc (it was a stingray so it sounded like a Ray and felt chunky and was slightly heavy ha ha) but I was obsessed with getting a good tone with what I had i.e. the bass and an SVT rig and the bass not breaking from all the abuse. I had a J bass as a backup but I never played it.

Throughout the entire period (a couple of years) I never even thought about buying basses. The bass was a tool, not a fetish object.

Fast forward 15 yrs and here I am with more means at my disposal and a very semi pro attitude to music and I'm going through basses like water so I've decided to boil it down to a single electirc and a DB.

Of course, I do have an ADAMOVIC on order...aha ha ha ha... :ph34r: But that's another story...aha ha ha

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330624746' post='1560684']
I don't buy into "The one" . I love all my basses. But they all have their own personality as it were. The all look different sound VERY Different and play different.

Having one bass to me is like only having one 10mm spanner in the tool box. It's great and will take off most 10mm Nuts some folk can go their entire lives with one 10mm spanner but now and again you need a different one to get the job done. .

I like Basses for being Basses. If I could afford it I would collect them like people collect stamps or rich guys collect classic cars. Part of the appeal (Or addiction the Mrs might say) is the form as much as the function. The enjoyment comes from more than when it's making noises.
[/quote]

Good post! :)

In reply to the OP:

Yes. I've tried my Spector against all sorts and its wiped the floor. It's closest competitor would be a Smith BSR5 or Yamaha BBNEII. I can't think of a way to improve it. Not all the sound I like hearing is from the instrument, some of it comes from the peavey amp and EBS speakers. But I have the sound that is in my head.

Cheers Kiwi, good post. Pity I'm trying to move me Spector on, really :lol:

Just to note, I wasn't talking about having [i]one[/i] bass - but having "the one": the one you love; the one that feels just right; the one you turn to every time... that kind of thing :)

I don't think I could own [i]just one[/i].

The two basses I play the are basses I have had the longest time , My BB1200 was my first bass and must have some of my DNA in it by now , and the old Fender P which has been constantly gigged / rehearsed /auditioned is finally starting to wear-in nicely after 10 years . I have a few others on the periphery , but I dont think I will miss them from a playing point of veiw .
If I need a new sound , a new amp or cab seems to provide that different sound , or even just some new strings .
Still enjoy the shopping for basses though ....... ( damn you , BC )

It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one to find that joining Basschat has proved to be very expensive!

I'm a bit of a tart and my allegiance constantly changes. However, I'm gradually finding that my Corvette $$ is the one I keep going to when getting ready for a gig. To start with I found the neck a bit chunky (and wanted a natural wood one anyway, but couldn't find one), so it didn't get played much.

Gradually it got played a bit more and now it seems to have wormed its way into my affections. A natural wood finish one came up for sale on here recently pretty cheap, but I suddenly realised the black finish on mine was "right". Now I've realised how comfortable the neck is, the dents and scratches have added to its character and it's becoming "the one".

I wouldn't have arrived at this conclusion without sticking with it and without playing lots of other basses alongside it, so I don't think you pick a bass up and instantly know it's the one.

The only basses for me now are my T-40 and a bitsa fretless Precision I recently put together (I also have a nice fretted Tokai maple neck for it). They both play and sound just how I like things, to the point that I no longer have any desire to buy anything else. Not that it's not nice to look at other basses, of course, but I have no inclination now to buy them ;) The other basses I have will either get sold, or will I will hang onto some of them them to see if they ever go up in price over the years (a Yamaha BB414 and an unlined fretless MIJ Fender Jazz).

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330624746' post='1560684']
Having one bass to me is like only having one 10mm spanner in the tool box. some folk can go their entire lives with one 10mm spanner but now and again you need a different one to get the job done. .[/quote]

That's just nuts!