Why become a member? ×

What does one wear?

Marvin

Does your band have a 'dress code' and if so is it specific to the genre you play?

I play in a covers band and we tend to...um...well...everyone wears what they bloody well want really. I always go for black jeans, black t-shirt and my check pattern skater shoes. I find the black quite slimming, not that I need it too as I'm a skinny git :)

I'm to play in, what I believe is generally referred to as, a heavy metal band, soon. I'll be honest I don't think my wardrobe is suited to that genre. Not a thread of my clothing falls into this particular music scene, neither does for that matter my hair. I'm thinking of taking the safe option and going for a smart shirt and my second best suit, oh yes. ;)

Jeans and a tshirt is fine!
I used to wear baseball caps, check shirts and beach shorts to gigs in my death metal band. Got some pics somewhere...

Truckstop

Edit: Found a piccie. no cap, sadly. Fell off within seconds at that particular gig!

Edited by Truckstop

Depends where we're playing.
If it's a corporate/wedding/function then it's black trousers and shoes, white shirt and black waistcoat.
If it's a pub gig then anything goes.
Folk clubs are a bit of an issue as I have an aversion to wooly jumpers next to my skin so I tend to go with collarless shirts and waistcoat.

Heavy metal bands are all songs about death, motorbikes, gloom and having underage sex with animals anyway, so you'll be better off wearing black to hide the stains... :P

Covers band

Pubs

Clubs

In pubs you can wear what you want.
In the clubs (working mens) you have to look a little bit different from say, someone in the audience.
I do the clubs and trainers are a no-no! There is no written law, it's just a thing that people stick to.
Black jacket, shirt and dress pants. black shoes. 2nd spot, More casual but smart shirt and jeans.
I sometimes wish I was back on the pub scene where the music is the most important thing!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1330376745' post='1556554']
Jeans and a tshirt is fine!
I used to wear baseball caps, check shirts and beach shorts to gigs in my death metal band. Got some pics somewhere...

Truckstop
[/quote]

I tend to steer clear of shorts as a general rule. My spindly legs repulse me, so I think it only fair I don't inflict pain and suffering on others.
[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330377159' post='1556561']
I can send you my Slayer wife- beater shirt to show off your tatts, Marv? Just pair with some baggy camo knee length shorts and black Vans trainers. Can't go wrong
[/quote]

I was wondering about the tatts. Thought I might get some of those temporary ones, or just let the kids lose with some felt tips on my arms. :)

Clarky death/thrash metal style tips, circa 2006 (and yes I played a 5 string Warwick in those days)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrruR2749io[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uI3OsjAAIc&feature=channel[/media]

Edited by Clarky

One of the two pairs of trousers I own and something to hide my lack of a manly chest. Anything really :)

Our guitarist has recently taken to wearing one of those silly flat cap things though. Everyone thinks/knows it looks ridiculous but we haven't had the heart to tell him yet :rolleyes:

In a metal band, literally anything goes. Our singer is Hindu, and turned up at one gig having just been doing some dance or other in the temple. She couldn't be arsed to get changed so went on stage in the full bright orange traditional Indian dance garb with the face paint and henna and strings of bells on her wrists and ankles. Everybody just seemed to mentally go "yeah... different but alright.." and the show went down just great.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330379067' post='1556617']
Me, drummer, guitard: Black shirt, trousers, shoes. Girls: Red dresses.
Horns: Multi-coloured zoot suits with matching hats, trousers, waistcoats, ties, spats and shades... I know.
Apologies for low-quality pic.

[/quote]
Absolutely love that look.

Just remembered a few years ago in my first band (15/16 years old "we're gonna write awesome songs and be famous because my Dad knows a guy who knows this guy..." kinda thing) our frontman decided we needed dedicated 'stage clothes', so to speak. Weird idea, I thought. But since I was the one doing the art GCSE at the time I got to pick his 'gear'...

So naturally...

White spaceman-esque trainers, white t-shirt with pretty flowers and a thin white scarf with pretty birds ensured he looked as feminine as possible.
Managed to convince him and he felt very cool wearing it (thought he was just playing along at first, as he has plenty of money to waste)! Felt a little bit bad but it was all part of the band banter :lol:

Then he found out and moved to America. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330379067' post='1556617']
Me, drummer, guitard: Black shirt, trousers, shoes. Girls: Red dresses.
Horns: Multi-coloured zoot suits with matching hats, trousers, waistcoats, ties, spats and shades... I know.
Apologies for low-quality pic.

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha you weren't kidding!! SSSSSSSSSSSSSSMOKIN!