Why become a member? ×

Contempt for your audience.

arthurhenry

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1329767790' post='1547075']
Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc. It's almost as though you've never even heard of Camel or King Crimson! Losers!"

Just sayin' like.....

Edit: This comment may contain exaggeration and humour.
[/quote]

Sometimes I may have want to strangle a particular individual, usually drunk (the individual, not myself), because I have to remain polite while that person is overstepping certain boundaries. But no, contempt for the audience in general? No. Most of my gigs don't pay terribly well, I mean, the money is a nice part of the gigs and it helps me buy things... but it is not an income I can depend on, so I do it 1st because I enjoy it. The day I feel the way you describe is the day I stop gigging.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1329866013' post='1548975']
I think the OP was trying to get at the mentality of a crowd that can dance to the same 60 year old songs week in week out.
I mean, it`s definitely not normal behaviour.
Very conservative vibe doing covers.
Can be frustrating.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I got. Guess you're going to be locked in that vibe - the songs work, people like them (you get all that ear worm thing, etc); thus, singing for your supper, you need to keep bringing them out.

I agree with Bluejay. And would go further and say that as musicians we ourselves have forgotten how much work goes into just getting to a level where we're trotting out 'easy' numbers. They're only easy because we've practiced and worked at making them look and feel easy.

To most of the audience what we do is magical and practically everyone I ever talk to about being in a band says "I wish I could play a musical instrument."

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1329938075' post='1550123']
I agree with Bluejay. And would go further and say that as musicians we ourselves have forgotten how much work goes into just getting to a level where we're trotting out 'easy' numbers. They're only easy because we've practiced and worked at making them look and feel easy.

To most of the audience what we do is magical and practically everyone I ever talk to about being in a band says "I wish I could play a musical instrument."
[/quote]

Plus several million on this!

I play pretty much the same set in the same bar almost every week (if i'm not busy working elsewhere) and get paid for it.

The audience love it, they come back to said bar with their friends because they enjoyed it so much when they were out for a meal there.

Of course i can get fed up of playing these dreary 3/4 chord songs but i know full well i'd rather be doing that then working behind the bar or watering at said venue.

I've played gigs in pubs full of people sniffing questionable substances in the toilets, trying to shake my hand, talk to me, hug me etc... during playing. I smile and get on with it & get paid.

If the punters are happy, i'm happy. At the end of the day thats what i'm there to do. Provide a service of entertainment.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

I think people get to hung up about playing songs they like as appose to songs the general public like.

I think the only time I've ever had any form of contempt for my audience was when I used to play regular gigs at Freud's in Oxford on a Friday/Saturday night - and this was only when people were so pissed they thought dancing around us, as there was no real 'stage' to speak of, and crashing into us was a bit of a laugh - oh, and when one of them decided to kick the guitarist in the head... yes we stopped playing and packed up after that - but it's generally when people get so sh*t faced they can't even stand up and then get arsey that I have a problem with.

That was pretty much a one off - I generally love playing for people and am generally very grateful and respectful of any audience I play to - especially a paying one - as others have said without 'the audience' we wouldn't be doing what we do - it's playing in front of people that kind of makes you a 'real' musician - if you can move people, get them whooping and cheering and dancing, and thinking - then you've gone beyond just 'playing bass' to actually [b]playing music [/b]- having contempt for anyone who's taken an interest in what you're doing is just stupid - if you're not enjoying it don't do it, stay home and avoid people - the choice is yours - no one is forcing you to do this stuff...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330011366' post='1551390']
I don't have contempt for audiences but I do for time wasting, lazy musos.

Being dicked about raises the constant question as to whether one can be arsed with it all.
[/quote]

I feel your pain.
Guitarist quit.
Guitarist replaced.
Singer quit.
Rhythm section still going strong!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329853328' post='1548628']
I refuse to comment on grounds that I might incriminate myself.
[/quote]

I wish I had that forethought ;)

To those that were a little surprised by my remarks and feel I should probably be in a different line of work - you're not wrong but I love playing music and I'm a stubborn git. I probably should have clarified that my contempt usually originates from some of the other people I'm playing with who you know are screwing you around and ultimately cheapening your dream of playing music. A lot of the gigs I do are with great people, playing great music to great audiences (and sometimes for great money too:) ) It's the other gigs where all of the above are absent that gives rise to contempt.

Like someone mentioned earlier - it shouldn't come as a surprise that you can feel this way if this is what you do for a living. Music is my job and I love it, but the job part of it is just like any other job and who here doesn't have a sh*tty day at work every once in a while with an a**hole for a boss?

My dad once said that part of being a professional means doing the best job you can when you feel like doing your worst.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1330011366' post='1551390']
I don't have contempt for audiences but I do for time wasting, lazy musos.

Being dicked about raises the constant question as to whether one can be arsed with it all.
[/quote]

welcome to the Devon music scene Marv, it doesn't ever get better.