Why become a member? ×

Most godawful tuning you've been asked to play in

Nibody

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328597419' post='1529600']
Been asked to join a "Nu Metal" type band by a mate. They play in "C" tuning. Rubber band strings anyone :o ?
[/quote]

I wasn't much of a fan of 'C standard' until I set a bass up specifically for it; a standard 4 string with the bottom of a lightish 5 string set (D'addario 220-5) on it, tuned up half a step. Keeping the strings thicker but still sensible and tuning up gave me about the same feel as a bass in concert pitch.

The metal band I'm in play in drop B but as I'm awkward I play in B standard and just shuffle everything that isn't on the bottom string up two frets - has made for some tricky fingering occasionally when open strings have been involved but it's never caused a major problem

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1328620342' post='1530065']
The metal band I'm in play in drop B but as I'm awkward I play in B standard and just shuffle everything that isn't on the bottom string up two frets - has made for some tricky fingering occasionally when open strings have been involved but it's never caused a major problem
[/quote]

My old band played in drop B, we reset after one of the guitarists left and changed the low string so we're in C# standard because I wanted to sound like A Perfect Circle. We don't, at all.

The action on my Shuker 6 is incredibly low and set up for a light touch. The last six months or so I was playing some brutal metal material that sounded better with a bit of digging in.. the only problem is that the tuning was down to Bb (semi-tone) enough to rattle and buzz my lovely set up. I actually bought another bass just to play the material on so I didn't have to mess with my Shuker!!
So for me, anything that messes with my set up is a total b@ll@ache!!

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1328621810' post='1530098']
Four string set up specifically for that tuning... .145 bottom string :D
[/quote]
really? I can't imagine the note being distinguishable. Must be that very angry kind of music?
Ooh, I wouldn't enjoy playing floppy strings, but we are all different!

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328661129' post='1530963']
really? I can't imagine the note being distinguishable. Must be that very angry kind of music?
Ooh, I wouldn't enjoy playing floppy strings, but we are all different!
[/quote]

.145 low a, similar feel to .045 to.105 in standard, sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJjltYoBTxc

• 2 months later...

The low string is the one that matters, you might be best just tuning all the others to the same intervals you are used to so your fingers don't get confused. The whole 'drop' thing is the ballpain, all the notes are in a different place relative to the bottom string, and all the string responses are messed up.

I [b][u]only[/u][/b] play in standard tuning, unless I've got my cheap chinese plank with me, in which case I might tune that down by a semitone or two if someone insists upon it. Even so, I don't use drop or open tunings. It's hard enough playing when the notes are where you expect to find them so anyone who wants me to change the interval between the strings can go take a hike!

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328597419' post='1529600']
Been asked to join a "Nu Metal" type band by a mate. They play in "C" tuning. Rubber band strings anyone :o ?

Whats the most awkward/daft/unusual tuning you've had to play in?
[/quote]
The only times I've ever played in any tuning other than EADG is when I briefly had a five string (BEADG) and on very rare occasions for odd songs I've dropped it to DADG.

I've never once been asked by others to play in any tuning.