Why become a member? ×

£33 to see what is really only a covers band

Blademan_98

It's supply and demand isn't it?

My girlfriend loves Pink Floyd and as we can't see the "real" version, a tribute act is as close as we're going to get.

Luckily there are several to choose from. This year I think we'll be seeing The Floyd Effect. Anyone seen them before?

Funnily enough, I've never ever heard a Pink Floyd number played by a covers band, but the one I saw last night did two!

By the way, has anyone read Midge Ure's autobiography? He complained that someone heard his soundcheck, where he was playing Ultravox material (and new material) on an acoustic guitar and said unseen person observed that he'd rather see a tribute band playing the material the "proper" way instead!

Edited by Jacqueslemac

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1328449637' post='1527091']
Personally, I would not pay that sort of money to see a covers band. You can usually see the real band for less!
[/quote]

Not so sure about that - if the Floyd were together they would charge three times the amount for the tribute act if the ticket prices of Gilmour's last tour were anything to go by. Generally all the enormo-dome acts that spawn tribute [i]artistes[/i] charge an arm and a leg for ticket prices these days.

Edited by hairyhaw

I've seen The Rolling Stones and The Counterfeit Stones within three weeks of each other. The real band wanted more for the tickets, of course, but there wasn't [i][b]that [/b][/i]much in it - we're not talking life-changing here.

The real band had made loads of changes (presumably through boredom), were unbelievably sloppy, kept forgetting the words, and played a bunch of songs I really didn't want to hear.

The fake band looked and sounded exactly like the band I grew up with, played all the songs I wanted to hear, were as tight as a duck's wotsit, and looked like they were having a really really great time.

Being "the real deal" guarantees nothing.

Incidentally, the last Aussie tribute band I saw were Bjorn Again. Absolutely brilliant.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1328452264' post='1527181']
I'm the other way round in so much as i would rather see a f***ed up performance by the original artists than a shiny polished tribute alternative.
[/quote]too right. Like a libertines tribute where everyones sober and knows the songs!? no thankyou.

Sometimes you have to face facts that you just weren't around when the original thing was happening and get over it. I love Johnny guitar Watson. Unfortunately he died and i never saw him. I can't imagine seeing a tribute version or ever wanting to because it would come nowhere close to seeing the guy that created all the stuff i love. I know JGWs performances were sometimes not brilliant but i'd rather of watched one of those than a perfectly copied version by other people.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1328453078' post='1527198']
Sometimes you have to face facts that you just weren't around when the original thing was happening and get over it. I love Johnny guitar Watson. Unfortunately he died and i never saw him. I can't imagine seeing a tribute version or ever wanting to because it would come nowhere close to seeing the guy that created all the stuff i love. I know JGWs performances were sometimes not brilliant but i'd rather of watched one of those than a perfectly copied version by other people.
[/quote]

This x ∞

What does great musicianship mean in the context of a tribute band?
On the one hand, I would expect APF's guitarist to be able to play exact, note perfect, feel perfect, expression perfect renditions of Gilmour's playing.
On the other hand, if he's that good, what's he doing pretending to be someone else?

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328448937' post='1527075']
Still trying to talk my misses into coming up to see you on the 10th (not getting a favourable response yet :( )

I do like to see new bands and support a couple of the local original bands in Bucks.
[/quote]

Kind of flattered and bit taken aback now...

It would be great to see you in Nottingham, but we do have a couple of gigs coming up in the next two months in London which guess should be easier for you to get to.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1328453923' post='1527218']
What does great musicianship mean in the context of a tribute band?
On the one hand, I would expect APF's guitarist to be able to play exact, note perfect, feel perfect, expression perfect renditions of Gilmour's playing.
On the other hand, [b]if he's that good, what's he doing pretending to be someone else?[/b]
[/quote]

Making a decent living I hope!

£30 for a 'tribute' band might sound steep, but it still sounds better value than most sports events.

The Australian Pink Floys Show is stunning - a fantastic gig if you're a pink Floyd fan. I know that a load of guys involved with the APFS left over avyear ago to form Brit Floyd.

I'm going to see Brit Floyd in Glasgow in May. For anyone interested in seeing/hearing what Brit Floyd are like, you can get a FREE dvd copy of their live debut gig last January from their website.

Here's a couple of clips:

Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUt6f4dXZ4&sns=em

Pigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RALs-uTI0&sns=em

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Go and see them - my uncle loves Floyd and has seen them with and without Roger several times. He's also seen the Australian Pink Floyd several times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

You'll be paying £33 to see a good band playing songs you love well - it's not like they just slap a Pink Floyd set list together and blast through them:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXLaoelqKI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXLaoelqKI[/url]

Weren`t the APF the guys who played Gilmours 50th birthday party? Not a bad endorsment. A few years ago I went and seen a Led zep tribute band, a whole lotta led I think, at the Ferry and the same year Page and Plant were touring. Guess which one was better? Yep the tribute band.

£33 may seem steep but by all accounts it`s a highly profesional show and it`s not like you are gonna see the pinkies anytime soon.

Jez

I saw the Aust Pink Floyd band at the IoW Festival and they were the high point ( for me ) for the whole three days .
Nick Masons own words were that you were never going to see the real Floyd ever again , and this is the closest you will ever get to a Floyd concert .
If you are a Floyd fan , you won't be disappointed .

As time goes by, the people who did the originals of what we like and grew up with either die or retire. If the music is any good it will pass into the category of "that which may be done by those good enough to do it". In exactly the same way as some musicians learn to play Mozart or Glenn Miller, so others will learn to reproduce Beatles, Stone, Floyd and other classics. That's already happening. Why berate a guitarist who does well at playing David Gilmour's guitar parts instead of writing his own? Do we put down a virtuouso violinist who's good at Vivaldi because he hasn't written his own concerti?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1328448222' post='1527048']
I've got a friend who is a sound engineer and she's doing the sound for an Eric Clapton tribute band next weekend. She's offered to get me in for free. Having just googled the band in question, they're so mediocre, I don't think I'll bother.
[/quote]

Are they from my neck'o'the woods, by any chance?

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1328455851' post='1527279']A few years ago I went and seen a Led zep tribute band, a whole lotta led I think, at the Ferry and the same year Page and Plant were touring. Guess which one was better? Yep the tribute band.
[/quote]

That was more than a few years back chieftain - that was bloody ages ago!! I did the same, but saw WLL in Aberdeen instead of the Ferry. Pretty damn good. When I saw P&P have to say Percy's rock gawd voice was starting to wear out.

On the subject of tribute bands - The Musical Box spring to mind - several members of Genesis have either sat in (Hackett, Collins) or been in the audience (Rutherford, Gabriel) so yeah, a funny old business.