Why become a member? ×

£33 to see what is really only a covers band

Blademan_98

I never got to see Pink Floyd when they were touring.

I've been a big fan and strive to play both bass and guitar parts on their stuff.

The Australian Pink Floyd are touring this year and the tickets are £33 plus the usual.

How many of you would pay that sort of money to see a covers band?

I paid £25 to see Bill Wyman earlier this year - is that the same?

I am tempted but it goes against the grain...... :lol:

Ive paid about £25 to see Think Floyd and about the same for The Bootleg Beatles and both were great shows and, I'd say, well worth the money, but it's all subjective really.

I tend not to think about the fame or authenticity of the band, more about the actual ticket price. I'm happy up to around £30 but it has to be something really special to get me to pay more. But I've already seen lots of bands in the days when prices were not silly money like today and that affects my outlook on such things. For example, I regularly went to Clapton's RAH concerts in the 80s/90s and £30 would get me right near the stage, but the Cream reunion concert tix were about £130 each, which I thought was ridiculous, so I just bought the DVD instead.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1328446426' post='1526982']
[b]£100 for the full night out is quite a bit of cash[/b] - I didn't go to a proper paying gig at all in 2011, first time in 25 years.
[/quote]

Exactly why I am hesitating. I might just put the money to a new amp and learn to play their songs to a higher degree.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328445580' post='1526963']
....How many of you would pay that sort of money to see a covers band?...
[/quote]
[size=4]To start with they're not a cover band. The next point is how good are they?[/size]

[size=4]I saw The Straits at the Albert Hall last year and you couldn't tell the difference. If a tribute band is that good then they are worth it.[/size]

You remind me of when Private Walker was selling knicker elastic at something like 2/6 a yard and someone says it's only 6d in the shop and he says "You can't get it in the shop can you?". Same here: you want to see Floyd played live but unless you go to a tribute gig you're stuck with listening to the records. Loads of people go to see JS Bach's music played live but they don't complain that he's not there on stage ...

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328447777' post='1527027']
You remind me of when Private Walker was selling knicker elastic at something like 2/6 a yard and someone says it's only 6d in the shop and he says "You can't get it in the shop can you?". Same here: you want to see Floyd played live but unless you go to a tribute gig you're stuck with listening to the records. [b]Loads of people go to see JS Bach's music played live but they don't complain that he's not there on stage ...[/b]
[/quote]

That is a fair point :)

I never thought of the Philharmonic as a tribute band :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328446786' post='1526990']
To start with they're not a cover band.
[/quote]
[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328447093' post='1527004']
A covers band that just plays covers from one source = tribute band :)

Whatever, they don't play any original material...........
[/quote]

+1

Whether you call it tribute or covers is semantics; the band are not playing any material written by them but they are playing material written by others and more specifically 'one' band's material. Not knocking it as I do covers and have done for many years (inc most recently a 'tribute'), but a tribute band are doing covers which ever way you look at it! ;)

I'm a long time Floyd fan - since the early days - free concerts & all B) Saw Think Floyd a few years ago in Hastings & Horsham, can't remember how much tickets were but they really impressed me with the quality, sound, lights, effects, ambience - the lot!

I'd say it's worth £33, 'cos you ain't ever going to see the real deal now are you?

I've got a friend who is a sound engineer and she's doing the sound for an Eric Clapton tribute band next weekend. She's offered to get me in for free. Having just googled the band in question, they're so mediocre, I don't think I'll bother.

The same engineer got me in to see a Dutch Eagles tribute band for free a couple of years ago. They were competent enough but not good enough that I would have paid to see them.

It does depend on how good the band is. If they are all sh*t hot players and give a professional show then they're worth a decent ticket price.

Personally, I think £100 for the night seems a bit much though.

Edited by gjones

I saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show a couple of yeasrs ago, and they were absolutely outstanding.

The key word in the name is the last one. It was a full-on stage show, with lights, videos, backing singers and a stunning sound system. Also immaculate, professional, musicianship, of course.

If you like Floyd, do it, you won't regret it.

There's a case to be put that most bands form our youths if they were playing still playing would be rather uninteresting old men trying to recapture past glories.

I'd rather go an see someone new and playing new original material who embodies the spirit of what attracted me to those bands back in the day.

There are two bands - The Pretty Things and The Human League who I never got to see play live when IMO they were doing their most interesting work. Nothing I've seen on YouTube of recent performances by either of these bands leads me to believe that would be anything but disappointed if I went to see them now. So I'll stick with their great recordings and remember them that way and if I want to see a live band I'll go and see someone new and exciting doing new and exciting original music.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328448702' post='1527070']
So I'll stick with their great recordings and remember them that way and if I want to see a live band I'll go and see someone new and exciting doing new and exciting original music.
[/quote]

Still trying to talk my misses into coming up to see you on the 10th (not getting a favourable response yet :( )

I do like to see new bands and support a couple of the local original bands in Bucks.