Why become a member? ×

£33 to see what is really only a covers band

Blademan_98

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1328456280' post='1527290']
Yeah, the APFS guys played Gilmour's 50th, and apparently then did so as Brit Floyd at his 60th!!
[/quote]

Well, thinking about it, I guess it's the only way he can ever go to a concert to hear Floyd songs being performed live!

I'm a big Floyd fan but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in going to see a tribute band play their stuff - I don't care how good they are, they're not Pink Floyd. I'd much rather stay in & listen to the albums.
Same goes for Steely Dan too.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1328461725' post='1527414']
I'm a big Floyd fan but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in going to see a tribute band play their stuff - I don't care how good they are, they're not Pink Floyd. I'd much rather stay in & listen to the albums.
Same goes for Steely Dan too.
[/quote]

Or learn to play the tunes and form a tribute band :lol:

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1328456280' post='1527290']
Yeah, the APFS guys played Gilmour's 50th, and apparently then did so as Brit Floyd at his 60th!!
[/quote]

Doesn't anyone else find this just a bit weird? If I'd been in a successful originals band most of my life and it was basically my job then the last thing on earth I'd want is some people coming and playing the stuff at me again on a major birthday. When I'm fifty I'm not paying someone to come over and do biochemical assays in front of me I know that... ;)
To the OP I've seen APF show twice, once when they did whole of DSOTM and then a few years back when they did the whole of The Wall. I think there was a split in the band and some of them now appear as Brit Floyd, think it was something to do with management. The Wall was about £25-£30 a ticket and worth it as it was a big production number. Not sure if I'd pay £33 to see them just run through a greatest hits package but if you are a serious PF fan and haven't seen them they are a great tribute act.

The Aussie Floyds are about as close to the originals as you can get. If you wanted to see the real Floyd (assuming they were still alive, talking to each other and gigging), you'd probably have to pay a lot more than that. I saw the Aussies a couple of years ago doing the Wall and it was a really fantastic show - as close to a real Floyd show as you could fit into Leicester's DeMontfort Hall.

Having said that, I'd be thinking twice about paying that much to see an original band, let alone a tribute. Maybe I'm just an old skinflint :)

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1328461130' post='1527392']
On the subject of tribute bands - The Musical Box spring to mind - several members of Genesis have either sat in (Hackett, Collins) or been in the audience (Rutherford, Gabriel) so yeah, a funny old business.
[/quote]
Now there's a good tribute band! Good enough for Genesis to lend them the original slideshow when they did their Lamb Lies Down tour.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1328532894' post='1528514']
The Aussie Floyds are about as close to the originals as you can get. If you wanted to see the real Floyd (assuming they were still alive, talking to each other and gigging), you'd probably have to pay a lot more than that. I saw the Aussies a couple of years ago doing the Wall and it was a really fantastic show - as close to a real Floyd show as you could fit into Leicester's DeMontfort Hall.

Having said that, I'd be thinking twice about paying that much to see an original band, let alone a tribute. Maybe I'm just an old skinflint :)
[/quote]

It was the Leicester gig that I was at too, pretty sure that was between £25 and £30 with booking fee.

Those two tribs are really good quality, professional packages. But they just leave me cold.

To me, seeing a great band is due to some form of hero-worship/respect thing. I want to look up on that stage and see Roger Waters/Steve Hackett/Eric Clapton/Mick Jagger etc - not some dull nobody pretending to be them.

That was a bit harsh. I think tribute bands have their role and their place - but I just don't think that it is playing large arenas at £30+ a ticket.

On the other hand, if they can fill the places at that price and there are enough punters that enjoy the performance - good luck to them!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1328446790' post='1526991']
I would rather download 4 Pink FLoyd cds or eat my own liver......
[/quote]
I'm surprised you could type a response, I expected you to be literally shaking with uncontrollable rage at the prospect of a covers band charging that much.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328459174' post='1527351']
As time goes by, the people who did the originals of what we like and grew up with either die or retire. If the music is any good it will pass into the category of "that which may be done by those good enough to do it". In exactly the same way as some musicians learn to play Mozart or Glenn Miller, so others will learn to reproduce Beatles, Stone, Floyd and other classics. That's already happening. Why berate a guitarist who does well at playing David Gilmour's guitar parts instead of writing his own? Do we put down a virtuouso violinist who's good at Vivaldi because he hasn't written his own concerti?
[/quote]

There's a huge difference between performing someone else's composition and slavishly copying someone else's performance.

I would expect a fair few tribute bands to be a lot better than the originals.. ha ha !!
I think Gilmour would take some beating though...but then again, he doesn't seem to
want or need to do it again...as it would also be basically the Dave Gilmour band....or more than it used to be.

AFAIAC, Dave Gilmour was Pink Floyd..

I have a pal who plays guitar in the Brit Floyd official offshoot of the Aussie Floyd and from what I have seen/heard on video they are stunning live - the show is full of lasers and giant inflatable pigs etc... so go for it

I've seen Floyd live at Earl's Court back in the 1990s and it was cracking but my one thought now is that seeing as over half their band are session players anyway - and yes Guy Pratt is a killing bassist - you're still seeing a load of extrenely good players doing the stuff the session guys would anyway - and part of the reason you would go and see any band like this is the songs are so good - I mean there's nothing more harrowing than seeing a musical legend in the flesh and they just can't cut it any more. It's embarrassing and painful - alternatively the likes of jazz guys like Sonny Rollins and Kenny Wheeler who are both 81 are astonishing for the their age

I digress - go and see the Aussie Floyd - it'll be superb and really enjoyable - and top gigs today cost top dollar... it's where the money is at now for musicians so them's the breaks

Saw the Illegal Eagles a few times in the past but only for the reason that I got free tickets each time as I was printing the merchandise. Tickets used to be about £15.

The band were very very good and a lot less sloppy than the real deal live but I wouldn't have paid to go.

However, a reasonable meal for two with a nice bottle of wine is probably £75 so sounds not too expensive for the whole shebang for you and the Mrs if you love the music anyway.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1328540350' post='1528684']
There's a huge difference between performing someone else's composition and slavishly copying someone else's performance.
[/quote]

There is indeed a difference, but if you respect the original musician for his feel and technique, then a good copyist must also have very similar if not exactly the same feel and technique. Natch, he lacks the originality, but originality isn't part of the spec.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1328544410' post='1528775']
However, a reasonable meal for two with a nice bottle of wine is probably £75 so sounds not too expensive for the whole shebang for you and the Mrs if you love the music anyway.
[/quote]

This is probably the best argument to press 'buy' that I have seen.

:lol:

Thank you for putting it in that way.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328545229' post='1528792']
There is indeed a difference, but if you respect the original musician for his feel and technique, then a good copyist must also have very similar if not exactly the same feel and technique. Natch, he lacks the originality, but originality isn't part of the spec.
[/quote]

And that is why the comparison between tribute acts and a virtuoso violinist doesn't hold water - any classical musician worth his salt is not merely copying another musician's performance.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1328550377' post='1528943']
And that is why the comparison between tribute acts and a virtuoso violinist doesn't hold water - any classical musician worth his salt is not merely copying another musician's performance.
[/quote]

Point taken, but how's about this? Until recently (ie the development of recording technology) there were not the same kind of benchmarks. A piece of music was the way you last heard it played, and you couldn't A/B two people's renditions of the same piece unless you had them side by side to play it for you. And once the composer had gone to the great gig in the sky, the only reference you had was what was written, maybe with notes left by the composer or those who knew him well. So you weren't expected to copy someone else's performance and in any case you had a written spec for the music. Listening to Radio 3 on a Saturday morning tells me that there is a variety of acceptable ways to do a piece that's been written down long ago. I think that's not quite so with rock music, While it may be notated after the originator has played it the definitive spec is not the dots, it is the recording. I concede that for some musicians there are a variety of recordings so for example there is the original studio version of [i]Smoke on the water[/i] and there are also many live versions but I'm guessing that if you were going to do a DP tribute you'd try to emulate the studio recording.

But my point was that if I could copy Ritchie Blackmore's solo and make it sound just like him would I not have developed the same technique and agility that he had when he played it? And if I could copy Nigel Kennedy's version of [i]The Four Seasons[/i] would not that also mean that I had developed the same technique and agility? You can always ask "why do so?" - in either case - but if I did this would I not have learned something and improved my playing by doing so? You may not like that I did it, you may not see the point but to suggest that I was somehow second rate as a guitarist or a violinist for doing exactly the same thing as other people who are reckoned to be first rate musicians just strikes me as being a little odd. Is it a bit like saying the first person to score a distinction at Grade 8 is better than the next person who has studied to make the same achievement? Or does that analogy not work because the Blackmore solo and the Kennedy 4 Seasons are original works?