Why become a member? ×

Arm seizes up during shows?

Jayben

So this has been happening for a while now - during a show the muscles on the underside of my forearm seize up, seriously inhibiting my ability to play at any kind of speed (it's the plucking hand that is affected - my fretting hand is fine).

Does anyone have any physical exercises that they use to get round similar problems? I use one of those Gripmaster things already, and I stretch well before the show.. I've also changed the ride height of my bass, and the problem STILL prevails.. Help?!?

Are you doing any other exercise during the week? Would be good to know, for context. If so, and you're a gym member, it might be worth having a chat with the guys there to see what they make of it.

You might have a look at some combination of wrist curls, to stretch the extensors. I've found them useful - should be plenty of 'how to' via Google. You normally do them with light weights.

Tbh I do very little exercise during the course of the week, short of walking during the course of a normal day..

Luke, I originally had my bass in such a position that my plucking hand was more or less straight. I moved it up so it's in more of a middle-ish position, always keeping my wrist straight :/

Do you have a forearm contour on your bass? Slab sided basses can cut off the circulation to your hand and arm. Which happened with my old bass. Don't really have that problem with my Jazz or Precision as they both have contours and I wear them low..

The best exercise to help with bass playing is bass playing. If this only happens when you're playing live ask some questions:
1. Are you practising/rehearsing for long enough to train the muscles involved to perform for the time you need them to perform for on stage? If you gig for two hours, you're gonna need to be practising/rehearsing at or close to that duration relatively frequently.
2. Are you using the muscles more intensely on stage; for example, do the band have a habit of speeding up the tracks live, or do you dig in more to be heard?
3. Do you hold your bass differently on stage?
4. Do you generally require more energy live than in rehearsal (e.g., you move around more), leaving less energy per unit time for the playing muscles?

Whatever the cause, the treatment is likely to be simulation in rehearsal of what you need to do live. If you do in rehearsal what you do live (play harder, move around more, wear the bass differently etc), you will prepare your muscles and nervous system to do the same. I have real problems with the same issue when playing DB; I have to dig in more live to hear myself, and tracks that I can play easily in rehearsal sometimes defeat me on stage. The solution, get the guys to rehearse at live volumes so that I have to train myself to play at those volumes regularly.

Hope that helps a bit

Chris

GJones, I only use Jazz basses now, so circulation isn't really a problem.

Thinking about those questions, I think it is because I dig in more live so I can hear myself. Thinking back to last night I was really hammering the strings.. Perhaps time to relax a little more? :P

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1327756920' post='1516301']

Thinking about those questions, I think it is because [b]I dig in more live so I can hear myself[/b]. Thinking back to last night I was really hammering the strings.. Perhaps time to relax a little more? :P
[/quote]
DingDingDing! We have a winner!

Turn up / get better monitoring & dig in less. Standard cure for 'Iron Bar' forearm.

Pete.

^ Maybe not so for you, but I've noticed a distinct improvement in dexterity and grip in my left hand since I've started using it. Passages that before were messy and indistinct have since become cleaner and easier to hear properly, and generally better played. [s]Have you a link for the tendonitis thing?[/s] Never mind, a more refined google search gives me evidence :)

Thanks for your help guys, I know it was an easy thing to figure out but sometimes you need the obvious pointing out to you :P

Edited by Jayben

Do you play with a pick? I've found everything is more tense when I play with a pick for some reason, I suppose because I'm having to pinch something with my fingers while I bounce it off strings.

If not - and it's just that you're digging in too hard - the best solution to this is to turn up your backline/monitor. If you can hear yourself clearly you won't pick so hard. I used to break strings all the time because my amp on stage wasn't loud enough.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1327784663' post='1516857']
I'd also stop using the Gripmaster thing if I were you as all that's likely to do is increase the risk of tendonitis - no use whatsoever from a playing perspective. You don't need an iron grip to play a bass guitar.
[/quote]

I agree completely.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1327785048' post='1516869']
^ Maybe not so for you, but I've noticed a distinct improvement in dexterity and grip in my left hand since I've started using it. Passages that before were messy and indistinct have since become cleaner and easier to hear properly, and generally better played.
[/quote]

Perhaps you have noticed an improvement in your playing, but I have my doubts that it is due to the gripping device. As RhysP says you dont need to grip hard to fret. A minimal amount of strength is required. Any good teacher will always advise a noob to have the hand as relaxed as possible. This does not happen when you grip, as the hand is tensed. Dexterity in the fingers comes from quite the opposite of grip, i.e. the lifting of the fingers [b]off [/b]of the fretboard, from one note to the next, without them getting in each others way. The gripping device does not assist with this in any way.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1327864659' post='1517918']
I don't know what else to attribute the sudden surge of strength in my little finger to - previously it wouldn't be able to hold down the low E string particularly easily on it's own, now it's a doddle..
[/quote]

Fair enough, but I'd keep the use of the gripping gadget to a minimum, now that you have achieved what you want with the pinkie.

Duly noted, I've been looking round the web today as well, and it seems the problems with the Gripmaster that have been highlighted in this thread are incredibly widespread.. shall advance with caution major!

I'll make sure to keep myself well-hydrated with water (not Carling?) and remember to relax when I'm playing :P Thanks again guys

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1327756920' post='1516301']
Thinking about those questions, I think it is because I dig in more live so I can hear myself. Thinking back to last night I was really hammering the strings.. Perhaps time to relax a little more? :P
[/quote]

I was going to suggest exactly this. I do the same. If I can't hear myself well, I tend to both dig in harder [i]and[/i] tense up because I stress out a bit. As a result, my arm is a mess and I can't play properly.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1327837562' post='1517338']
A left field one - make sure you are hydrated enough for the gig and have some water handy while playing.

Wouldn't hurt to gradually build up your playing stamina to train your muscles to cope with the task.
[/quote]Beat me to it. We have one long gig that is also more often than not a hot & sweaty one, and I can get through 2 or 3 litres of water over the course of the night. If I don't I know I run the risk of cramping in my fretting hand by the end of the night. Probably digging in too, but the water definitely helps

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1327755948' post='1516284']
Do you have a forearm contour on your bass? Slab sided basses can cut off the circulation to your hand and arm. Which happened with my old bass. Don't really have that problem with my Jazz or Precision as they both have contours and I wear them low..
[/quote]

I've had the opposite problem. I have nerve problems that are generally aggravated by most basses with forearm contours. At the moment my Ricks are the only basses I can play with any semblance of comfort, and they have no contour and bound bodies.

Everyone is different.