Why become a member? ×

Ethics and bass playing

LukeFRC

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1327060598' post='1505811']
How do people go through life ignoring the fact that they're (largely indirectly) harming other people, animals, the whole planet? I'm sure I used to manage it but no idea how?!
[/quote]

Ignorance is bliss, work is freedom.

Just realised that cobalt is very commonly used as a pigment in rubber, plastics, paints and coatings, and is used just as much by manufacturers in the west as manufacturers in the far east.

Anyone who has a guilty conscience can send their blue basses to me and I will [s]play them[/s] dispose of them ethically. :D

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1327060598' post='1505811']
How do people go through life ignoring the fact that they're (largely indirectly) harming other people, animals, the whole planet? I'm sure I used to manage it but no idea how?!
[/quote]
as a doctor, i can prescribe the following : X-Factor, Big Brother, Cash in the Attic, The Only way is Essex, etc., etc.,

what more do you want ? ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327009150' post='1505289']

[b]Given that 40% of the worlds cobalt is from the DR congo, and the ethical issues surrounding it, would you buy the new cobalt strings from Ernie Ball?[/b]

[/quote]

unless you have a reference to demonstrate the EB are sourcing their cobalt from said unethical places, then there is a slight flaw in the logic no? ;)

this goes much further than cobalt

DR Congo, and what I'll call the rest developing world, has a very different view on the value of life. it was on the news only the other night that some conflicts are intentionally targetting children ffs!! Understandably all anyone wants to do is get more and/or get out.

Fast forward 50-100 years or whatever, where the the west have continued all this humanitarian aid etc and the power shift that is in motion at the moment will be far more advanced. The areas we worry about now will be major world players, our already greedy 'fat cats' will have shipped more work to these places as they pay less for the same thing (already happening!!), get big bonuses, and the corporations rule world affairs. We could be in the position of the people we are trying to help........ Will they really give a dam about us once they're living a better life?

Unless someone can change human nature the world will carry on going through the changes of who calls the shots, there will always be someone who wants that bit more. All are created equal, but some are more equal than others (Orwell (more or less))

Does anyone really want equality? Another worm can here but women wanted equality with men. Most men and a good percentage of women who you speak to about this think it's bonkers, women had the better ride already!

Or; maybe I read too much SciFi

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1327063666' post='1505879']
unless you have a reference to demonstrate the EB are sourcing their cobalt from said unethical places, then there is a slight flaw in the logic no? ;)
[/quote]
yes, and no.
It's also up to the producers of things, such as jewellers, to show that their products are ethically sourced.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1327065743' post='1505922']
The whole world needs a new direction. We're all obsessed with getting as much stuff as we can.

Put a limit on the amount of stuff people can have then once they've got that much stuff they'll have to find something else to do.
[/quote]
pretty sure that'll be the case soon enough, once the financial system melts down. :yarr:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1327010180' post='1505309']
I've always avoided Ernie Ball because the guitar strings are sh*t. [/quote]

They're not. True, they only last for 1 gig, but they tune up instantly, for the guitarist who strings up everynight and needs instant tune-up especially if replacing a broken one.

Other strings eg Dean Markleys will last for several nights but they need a few hours playing in time to become stable.

You choose to suit your requirements. I like to string up with Dean Markleys and carry Ernie Balls as spares.

If it was the tone you don't like, well fair enough, the only remedy for that is buy someone else's!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327068500' post='1505994']
One gig? Several nights? Good God, I can't be changing strings that often! :lol:
[/quote]

I have much less experience of bass but I reckon bass strings do last a lot longer. Just as well, given the price of 'em. My bass is wearing Picato flatwounds which have been on it for at least 2 years but use has been infrequent. If I pass the audition I'm going to next week, then it'll get regular use and I'll be able to find out how long they last under those conditions.

Frequent stringing-up is no biggie for a guitarist, it goes with the territory. And if you're writing them down against tax so much the better :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1327058394' post='1505732']
I had a bit of a crisis of ethics recently. I can't reconcile my thoughts and opinions with my ignorant actions. I don't want to abandon the lifestyle I love, but I honestly feel like a sh*t person for carrying on regardless.
[/quote]
I'm almost always upset by the ethics of myself and others. I often feel sh*t for maintaining the lifestyle I enjoy

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1327059185' post='1505760']
I wouldn't have them. I'm aware that alot of what I do or choose to buy will be unethical without my realising it, but when given the choice I'll try and take the 'nice guy' route.[/quote]
This is what I try to do but feel that it probably isn't enough and I'm still a horrible person damaging people/environment/animals.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1327059292' post='1505767']
I don't feel guilty about what I don't know because I can't keep tabs on every element of everything I buy/use even if I spent every waking hour trying to do so.
[/quote]
Admirable. I'm going to try to do more of this.

• 7 years later...