Why become a member? ×

Playing for yourself

leftyhook

There I was on stage tonight, third show in a row this weekend, playing "Firework" By Katey Perry. I know what you are thinking. z-z-z-z-z for the bass player.No bass for most of the verses, then root notes and one noodly run into the middle section.
It could be so easy to just go through the motions and think about what I am having for supper, but I try to set myself a bit of a challenge with such songs, or at least make it more interesting.
So Firework for instance, instead of just the single root 8 to the bar notes(all notes until chorus are palm muted, just my way of simulating the synth feel), I play double notes (octaves) using my thumb and fingers, alternating my first and second finger in various patterns.
Thumb playing the 8th rhythm on the low with the octave higher played with first finger for 4 notes then second finger 4 notes. Next time around I may do first finger 1 notes then second finger 3 notes etc.

If a song isn't exciting you, maybe try changing the position on the fingerboard each time you play a riff?

Well, it keeps my Lady Ga-Ga, Amy Winehouse lines more interesting for me :)

I am sure some of you have similar ideas about making it worthwhile playing songs that don't make you tick otherwise.?

Edited by leftyhook

i agree, and i think it shows a good musician that wants to be creative...i applaud you for it.... ive played bass lines that i know and inverted the bass line within the chord and all sorts, double stops, a little slap.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.. this is always within the comfort of a studio/music room... then if you and your band think it works, let it go live... i cant stand the thought of music being a regime , ive spent 15 years learning how to play with no help, so i want to make sure i enjoy it..its my passion..... music is suppose to be fun, and what ever music your playing should be approached in that way... imo

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1326682504' post='1500488']
i agree, and i think it shows a good musician that wants to be creative...i applaud you for it.... ive played bass lines that i know and inverted the bass line within the chord and all sorts, double stops, a little slap.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.. this is always within the comfort of a studio/music room... then if you and your band think it works, let it go live... i cant stand the thought of music being a regime , ive spent 15 years learning how to play with no help, so i want to make sure i enjoy it..its my passion..... music is suppose to be fun, and what ever music your playing should be approached in that way... imo
[/quote]
Well said. However as I play in a.function band,where there are certain expectations from fellow musicians (" the bass drops out for 1 bar on the original recording"..blah blah) so variations have to be subtle. So my Firework 'personal exercise/challenge is playing the 'expected' notes, but how I choose to play them.

Oh, and there is always the odd musician or two who notices your fingers doing crazy things ;)

My band used to do a cover of 'Aint No Fun Waiting Round To be A Millionaire' by AC/DC which is really 6 miniutes of a D root note playing 8th notes. I made it a bit more interesting by dropping to the F# and running up to the A by a chromatic scale.
Made it a bit more bearable for me.

It's just what is good for the song at the end of it all, whether you're playing covers or original stuff. I'm always conscious to try and not overplay in songs that get me bored because that's the obvious reaction of a bass player. But sometimes it's not how you embellish a simple bass part that is impressive, it's how well you can stick to doing the most mundane part if that's what's right for the song.

EDIT when I get bored mid-song of playing something very repetitive, I remind myself of someone like Steve Jordan on drums, who is able to hold down the simplest of grooves but with so much feel. Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLduQpy7P14

Edited by risingson

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Firework is a good pop song. When you're playing a number like that you’re playing the song not an interesting or challenging bass line. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]I happily play 1 note/root note lines for hours in ZZ Top, Snow Patrol and Stereophonic numbers because they are good songs. I used to play the Stratus riff for 10 mins while the guitarist went through his "gymnastics". He brought the house down so it was no hardship. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]When you are in a covers band you’re only there for the song.[/color][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1326711965' post='1500701']
If you want to do your own challenging thing then write your own songs.
[/quote]

Have to agree. When I'm playing covers I get annoyed with those who want to stray from the original, for whatever reason. Why do you think the original was a successful, popular recording? It's what your audience have paid to hear and is what they are expecting!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1326711965' post='1500701']
This.

If you want to do your own challenging thing then write your own songs.
[/quote]

Odd occassions our original outfit is required to play a cover (battle of the bands etc.) .
I hate doing this, so usually take the micky a bit. Or do my own thing during the song.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326712875' post='1500734']
Odd occassions our original outfit is required to play a cover (battle of the bands etc.) .
I hate doing this, so usually take the micky a bit. Or do my own thing during the song.
[/quote]

Did you win? :D

....chris_b, on 16 January 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]When you are in a covers band you’re [s]only[/s] there for the song.[/color][/font][/size]

fixed.... ;)

[size=4]I understand what you are saying, but what do you do when playing Edwyn Collins' A Girl Like You? The audiences love it but all the bass player has is 4 mins of C with a few small runs and some accents. Do you think of the shopping list just because you're playing 1 note?[/size]

[size=4]Every numbers has 2 parts; what you play and how you play it. If you can make 1 note groove for 4 mins then you've done your job well.[/size]

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326713185' post='1500747']
Anyone thought that instead of making it technically more interesting for themselves, they could use the time to make the act more visually appealing to the audience??

It is a show after all.
[/quote]

Ha! of course. I have done it all, from dressing up like a clown, to robotics back in the 80's, leaping about like a nutter etc. there are still visual elements in my performance. Never been a shoe gazer. I often get comments from people who don't notice the playing comment on my subtle comedy visuals.
I used to do character comedy, you see.

I was just looking at things from the note playing point of view here. I've been playing live for 30 years and the cover band scene has been a true training ground for every aspect of live performance for me.
There aren't many musicians in the crowd in the clubs, so I stick to what they expect musically and try to give them something visual to stop them wondering about whether they will win the bingo!

Edited by leftyhook

I kinda know what you mean. I do experiment with some of the songs even though i have been playing them for a long time. Not to the extent that anyone would really know unless they were looking. Sure, the song is all important and i wouldn't put that in jeopardy but i do like a bit of a fiddle. Most typically if i have learnt some new theory i'll try and apply it to the song that i am playing.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326712875' post='1500734']
[/quote]

I these sorts of situations my attitude has always been to forget about the original version of the song and just keep to lyrics and the vocal melody. Build up a brand new instrumental arrangement around this and treat it like any other song that the band has written from there.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326713185' post='1500747']
Anyone thought that instead of making it technically more interesting for themselves, they could use the time to make the act more visually appealing to the audience??

It is a show after all.
[/quote]

so true, use the easier bits to give it some on stage!

Lots of valid opinions here, I love a straight cover played perfectly, but I love when a band make a song their own (Hendrix version of All along the Watchtower is the pinacle of this). The most important thing is the song, even writing original material, we have a song that has a bit of an AC/DC feel to it, and the bass is mostly thumping A, a little embillishment in the chorus, but still pretty simple. I tried to make it more interesting, but nothing drove the song as well a a simple root note.

I always make it interesting for me... and depending on the band leader, you can get away with stuff or not.
Then you decide if his/their remit is compatible with yours but I've never been fired on a gig, so I think I must be within limits.
Other gigs, it is ALL about what you bring to the party, and that is good too.

I guess I think I know more about lines that they do and they leave me alone.
In the studio, the challenge is different and you can scale it down as you play it great once to hear it a zillion times...then it HAS to work...a gig is more in the moment

But sure, if a gig bores me, then I don't do it for long.

Perhaps come up with alternative games that don't effect the bassline you're playing :P

For instance, my mates were discussing the games they play whilst invigilating the exams at uni. The funniest was that they'd each take it in turns to walk to the student they found most/least attractive, pause, and walk back to the front again.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1326744475' post='1501485']
Perhaps come up with alternative games that don't effect the bassline you're playing :P

For instance, my mates were discussing the games they play whilst invigilating the exams at uni. The funniest was that they'd each take it in turns to walk to the student they found most/least attractive, pause, and walk back to the front again.
[/quote]
er....a bit reluctant to admit this, but the drummer and guitarist in the band like to play "spot the best F.L.I.M" (it is an anagram....I am sure you can work it out!)
a lot of on stage nodding and winking (not a spelling error there) but of course this is during the 2nd spot when peole are up dancing....

dug myself into a corner here, haven't I ?

Most unprofessional :unsure: :D

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326709265' post='1500642']

Well said. However as I play in a.function band,where there are certain expectations from fellow musicians (" the bass drops out for 1 bar on the original recording"..blah blah) so variations have to be subtle. So my Firework 'personal exercise/challenge is playing the 'expected' notes, but how I choose to play them.

Oh, and there is always the odd musician or two who notices your fingers doing crazy things ;)
[/quote]

It's funny how there are so many different views on this. From everyone must play exactly the right parts, complete with authentic guitar and keyboard sounds, to break the track down to lyrics, chords and play it in your own style.

Personally I hate the clinical sound of a band who've done the former and are phoning in their performance with plastic smiles and 'off the cuff improvised' moves and jokes (that they do everytime). I wonder how these bands keep getting booked.

However

There's a fine line between improvising a few fills and cluttering up a tune with needless noodling and experimentation is best done at home.