Fender Jaguar
Fender Power Jazz Bass Special
Fender Precision Lyte
SGC Nanyo Bass Collection
Yamaha RBX800A
Peavey Fury II
Epiphone T-Bird Pro IV
A Frankenfender P-Bass with a J neck

All 38mm at the nut and, also, shallow depth. I think the Peavey is actually the skinniest of all those I have tried. Still not tried an Ibanez yet!

Edited by Paul S

I've a Fender Precision Lyte, which has the fastest neck I've ever played. I refer to it as my Doodle bass, as it's great for noodling, chords, trying out two-handed tapping and other such silliness! My Japanese 75RI Jazz had a 38mm nut and a very nice neck, but not as skinny as the P-Lyte.

Edited by Simon.

I've just finished doing some repair work on a friends Precision Lyte & these do indeed have very skinny fast necks.
Very nice bass actually - haven't played a bass with a passive P Bass type pickup for ages & I was very impressed with the sound.

Sandberg Basic's have got the skinniest, fastest, most comfortable necks I've ever played, even more so than any soundgear I've ever played. I bought my first one in march last year, and it turned my bass world upside down! My faithful MIA Jazz (which I'd owned for about 13 years and was my go-to) suddenly felt incredibly fat-necked and difficult to play, and sadly I ended up having to sell it because I knew things would never be the same again. I've since bought another 4 string Basic, and at the end of the month I'm parting ways with my TRB1005 and replacing it with a Basic Ken Taylor 5. With the exception of my spare/knockabout bass, I will be a one brand man. I'm fine with that, and I have no interest in owning any other type of bass now. I have also had a Sandberg California PM pass through my hands this year, and despite it being better than a Fender (controversial I know), it just didn't feel the same as the Basic. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're particularly attractive, but they feel incredible and sound great which is all I'm interested in. I always think that the neck feel reminds me of and Ibanez RG guitar but in bass form; slim, effortless to play, and with that slight flatness down the centreline of the neck (which becomes more noticeable as you progress further up). I think the fact that they have a fairly flat fretboard radius helps too.

All this combined with a very reasonable pricetag on the used market = good times for me!

If you can get your hands on one, give it a spin, and if you're ever in Herefordshire you're welcome to have a go on mine.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1326385479' post='1496515']
This is my preference, too.

I still have or have had

Fender Jaguar
Fender Power Jazz Bass Special
Fender Precision Lyte
SGC Nanyo Bass Collection
Yamaha RBX800A
Peavey Fury II
Epiphone T-Bird Pro IV
A Frankenfender P-Bass with a J neck

All 38mm at the nut and, also, shallow depth. I think the Peavey is actually the skinniest of all those I have tried. Still not tried an Ibanez yet!
[/quote]

Shallow depth is also what I was alluding to. I own a Rockbass Corvette that is 38mm at the nut, so not at all wide. However, the neck is quite deep and chunky to be honest. Hence I would never describe it as skinny.
[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1326386997' post='1496583']
My Rockinbetter neck is ludicrously skinny, as was an Epi T-bird I owned briefly.
[/quote]

I've never tried a T-bird, I always thought they'd have quite chunky necks. Now I know different I'll have to go and try one :)