Why become a member? ×

Electric vs. acoustic bass for acoustic trio?

lewyyy

So my band *may* be heading down a different route in the near future as an acoustic trio.

The set up would be 2 x guitars and a bass.

Would it be best to go down the route of an acoustic bass, or stick to one of my electrics?

Any + or -'s to the sound etc?

Any acoustic bass recommendations? The only one I've looked at is Fender Kingsman, so far. (The budget would be £3-400 maximum. And I'm open to buying used)

Cheers

Being pedantic I would have thought that the whole point of going acoustic is to use acoustic gear. With that in mind when I'm of a notion to play one of my electro-acoustic guitars I play thru a Line 6 30w amp & the channels & settings on that give me the best of both worlds.

[size=4]I play with an acoustic guitarist. He doesn't mind that I use my electric bass on gigs, so that's what I do. There is no pressure on me to go acoustic, but I'm currently looking for an electric acoustic (see my sig and the Rob Allen bass wanted thread) because I think it will make an interesting combination.[/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325100765' post='1479902']
Stick to electrics. I never got this 'acoustic bands need an acoustic bass' thing. It's all a bit 90s MTV unplugged. Plus, acoustic basses generally aren't very good.

IMO, of course.
[/quote]

+1

I play in a couple of 'acoustic' groups and decided to buy an acoustic bass about 3 or 4 years back but I went back to electric bass within a few gigs as it was such a pig to work with.

I was spending far too much time fiddling about trying to get a sound that was 'right' and it certainly scuppered the playing style that got me the work in the first place.
Ditching it and going back to electric bass was universally supported.

The nearest 'concession' I make nowadays is using an EUB with a 2x10 cab hidden from sight.
Being relatively 'unusual' it fits in nicely with the acoustic crowd and their curiosity negates any initial qualms. :)

I was in the same situation and bought the Kingman and a feedback suppressor. Soon became apparent that the amplified tone sat in the mix wasn't all that noticeably different to my Precision through the same amp. I came to the conclusion that it might look more appropriate to some to play an acoustic bass, but that's where it ends; just having the acoustic guitars is enough to provide the right sound. The Kingman's a nice bass for quiet practice etc. but for me it's certainly a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have.

Feedback in a live situation is a real pig with acoustic bass unless you really pay up for something like a Takamine B10 with its sophisticated feedback-controlling preamp. Electric is simpler all round. If you want a near DB sound buy a cheap fretless (eg Squier VM Jazz), bung some flats on and playfingerstyle over the end of the fretboard.

I play in an 'acoustic' band and until recently doubled on a fretless Precision with flats and an EUB both through a Mesa combo. No one ever asked me why I wasn't playing an 'acoustic' instrument.

However, I've now moved on to a Takamine B10 (thanks to Clarky) and an acoustic upright. I don't suppose anyone will notice the difference - except that there will be less space on stage.

Edited by EssentialTension

Our band does everything from loud electric 5 pce to acoustic duo. For acoustic stuff I use a P bass with flats. It sounds great and the flats / p combo gives a warm low sound that sits below the mix. In acoustic stuff you are there to add depth and rhythm but you're not competing with drums so you don't have to punch thru.

Acoustic basses don't float my boat one little bit.

unless it's a double bass, then acoustic isn't loud enough without being plugged in & then where's the point? it's an electric. Go for a fretless & that'll fit in with the "acoustic" image.
My current band is classed as an "acoustic" band. The singer plays an electro acoustic guitar (plugged in), the other musician plays either mandolin or ukulele (both plugged in) & I play electric bass through a few fx (plugged in).
When we add our drummer we're no longer acoustic, so the guitarist brings out the synth guitar. :D

I haven't taken an acoustic bass to a session in over 18 months. I just bring the 6 string now which makes it easier if the guitarists are playing in a dropped tuning/using capos etc.
If there's just a couple of guitars and a cajon/bongos etc I'll use a 10 watt combo. If there's PA support I'll go straight into that.

I think the overall sound of the band is more important than the 'acoustic' label. In one of my past acoustic duos, I would use an acoustic bass, an electric fretless, a two string fretless played with a bottleneck slide, an electric fretted (through multi fx) or an electric upright, depending on the song.

I suggest you start with your usual bass. If you find it needs more depth, try a set of flatwounds.

Edited by TheRev

Unless you can play a double bass and are willing to bring one to gigs, I would say that electric is probably better. The problem with acoustic bass guitars is that they are simply not loud enough to back up one acoustic guitar, let alone 2. You would need an amp to hear it, and then you have to ask yourself what is the point in buying an acoustic bass if you're going to use an amp anyway? You need to have a bass with a nice smooth sort of sound, like a jazz bass or something.

Double bass is great for acoustic work but there are different kinds of acoustic music and, depending on what you will actually be playing, the big fella may not work. I have worked for may years an achieving a live sound on my Wal that has a 'acoustic' ambience and I think, in many ways, I have succeeded. What that means is that I can play nicely integrated lines but, if necessary, can tweak the sound to bring it forward a little in the mix. As long as you keep it musical, there is no reason why an electric bass shouldn't sound perfectly suitable.