Why become a member? ×

Budget basses, anyone else fallen in love with their's?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1324402564' post='1473899']
I have Machines old Bb614 and I have to say the Stingray will go first.
[/quote]
You changed your username!

Good to hear it's still around :). I've changed instruments more times than i've washed my car since then :lol:.

Initially bought it, just to sell on, but I loved the U-profile neck so much, I decided to keep it. Had the pickups rewound by Wizard, rewired it & changed the bridge. Frequently take it out & no issues gigging it, when I fancy a change from P-Bass.
It's certainly more than paid for itself! :)

Edited by nick

Bought a Ryder P-Bass on here as a cheapy stopgap while I wait for my custom P to be built.
It was fitted with an EMG Select pickup, and you know what? It plays and sounds great.

Not quite as good as my 76P was obviously, but for £60... c'maan!
I have for it a Fender-licenced MM P neck, SD SPB pickup, Wilkinson tuners, new bridge etc etc ready to go...
when I can find the time! :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1324414045' post='1474045']
I got a Tanglewood Warrior for nowt on freegle and it's an excellent bass - I'll do a straight swap for your custom shop Jazz if you pay the postage.
[/quote]

Tempted :lol:

I love my Squier VM Jazz. For £170 it was a great buy.
I've also got a Squier 'Telebass' (in my avatar picture). That's a good 'un too but with the mudbucker pickup a bit of a one trick pony.
As much as I also love my more expensive basses it's great to be able to take an instrument out without the anxiety of it getting nicked or damaged.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1324411998' post='1474018']
You changed your username!

[/quote]

Yes mate, Bassworlds Longfingerz and here as 610*c and Horizontalste, like comfy old slippers this forum. As for the Bb, nearly sold it once, but soon seen sense, got a 90s one now too.

Edited by Horizontalste

My thoughts are I am in a metal band, I'm not actually that good and dont spend as much time as I should practising, therefore I couldnt really justify spending a lot of money on a bass.

I have three basses, a BC Rich Warlock which the band bought me for my birthday, a Stagg version of the Rich and a Wesley Flying V, I love all of them and would never part with any of them. They do exactly what I need them to do, they sound really good in my opinion and if anything happenend to them they wouldnt cost the eartht o replace.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1324414045' post='1474045']
I got a Tanglewood Warrior for nowt on freegle and it's an excellent bass - I'll do a straight swap for your custom shop Jazz if you pay the postage.
[/quote]

I had one about 8-9 years ago that I recorded an EP with - not really sure why I sold it, maybe cos the neck was wide but shallow profile and didn't suit my pudgy fingers and poor technique? Sounded good though!

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1324412099' post='1474019']
I paid £20 for this 70's Kimbara a while ago.
Initially bought it, just to sell on, but I loved the U-profile neck so much, I decided to keep it. Had the pickups rewound by Wizard, rewired it & changed the bridge. Frequently take it out & no issues gigging it, when I fancy a change from P-Bass.
[/quote]

My first ever bass was a blonde one of those. Lovely tone, as I recall, but weighed a ton!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1324376940' post='1473479']
The moral of the story is. Never sell on a favourite 'cheap' bass to get a better one, before you have lived with the new one for a few months. You may well regret it badly.
[/quote]

That's good advice. I had a Japcrap EB3 copy with an EMG Select guitar pickup in the bridge position. Then I bought an MIJ Epi Elitist EB3 and sold the Japcrap one. Later, when the neck dive and other things about the Epi started to really get me down, I wished I hung on to the old one.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1324345666' post='1473339']
Ha! ! My Yin/Yang Victor W00ten Fodera cost all of £7000 and was worth every brass penny. Its high value makes me play to a higher standard.

budget basses PAH! I wouldnt give them room in the coal shed.
[/quote]
I can't afford a coal shed! :angry:

I've had lots of great basses, some have been expensive, some handbuilt boutique stuff, but I'm loving the Epi TBird which cost me £130 (inc hardcase) and I Fenderbirded, and I've always loved my Franken PJ (total cost probably £200). I've learned a lot about what I like in a bass, and nowadays I don't see much off the shelf that suits, so modding budget basses gets me where I want to be. If I want to go upmarket, Warmoth will be my next port of call.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1325063067' post='1479439']
I love my Ibanez GSR200 which doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet...P+J pickups, rosewood board and plays like a dream.

I can highly recommend this model to anyone wanting an inexpensive first bass or backup for gigging - it plays as well as my MIJ 62 RI Fender Jazz.
[/quote]

Why should it be a back-up? I gigged with a GSR190J (from the jumpstart package) for 12 months. I even got a compliment on my sound at a wedding from a Ric 4003 owner

I know that my fellow band mates would look at me as though I'd lost all grip on reality if I left either of the Fenders on a stand while I played the BB414, but the Yamaha is of equal build quality to either of the Fenders and the BB tones aren't a million miles away from the Precision.

Edited by bassman2790