Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy - Rosalie

Hobbayne

What a cracking tune this is. First time I have heard this song, I have to get it down ready for next weeks rehearsal. We do it in 'A' same key as the original, but I cant seem to fathom out the bass part in the verses. I,m just holding down the A, but I,m sure Phil does something a bit more than that.
Anyone play it?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1323943275' post='1468862']
Its a great tune. Phil was such a fabulous bass player!!
[/quote]

And one hell of a frontman! They were a very underated band. He had the image, the bass skills and the personality.

I've really been getting into them this year - what an amazing diverse repertoire.

Those well known tracks only tell a very small part of the story....there's all sorts of elements - funk, rock, soul influences going on.

Phil's certainly no slouch on the 4-string either!

I've just bought a biography, 'The Rocker' by Mark Putterford, so really looking forward to learning a lot more about the great man.

Hi. :)

We do a lot of Lizzy numbers, with only one guitarist!!

I found that to keep the think rolling with a pattern, drop down to the G, once,
as you roll along on the A.
If you listen to the record, you will see what I mean.

The other thing - when the vocals go "do you see" you can follow what the guitar
does (and as the record) but in a different way to give the phrase more power.
the notes are G - F# - E - D but if you do it higher up the neck - A string and roll
down the first three notes and then pull the open D, which feels a bit odd, until you
get used to it - it gives the whole thing a lot of power.
Do the same notes lower down, on the D string and it just loses something.

If you care just discovering Lizzy, some other great tracks to play are -

Jailbreak, Don't believe a word, Cowboy song, Boys are back and Waitin' for an alibi.

There is so much to chose from, you could do Lizzy covers all night!

Cheers. :)

Great band, one of my favourites of all time. Phil Lynott as mentioned was a really underrated bass player but Brian Downey for me was one of the greatest rock drummers ever.

Some of their finest moments:

[b]The Rocker[/b]

[b]Wild One[/b]

[b]The Kings Call[/b]

[b]Emerald[/b]

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1323996487' post='1469740']
Great band, great front man great loss. I had his black fender in my house for about a week must dig out the photos !!

I got to know his mum after he died and she used to get up with our band wand sing whiskey in the jar.

Great tune dude
[/quote]

That my friend is awesome! Closest I get is I'm friends with Jim Fitzpatrick on facebook, and the guitarist in my first ever band looked like Scott Gorham.

Saw them at Wembley during the Live and Dangerous tour way back when. Hard to take your eyes off Phil Lynott, hugely charismatic man on stage. I have an abiding memory of Brian Robertson dressed in white with a spotlight making him look very ethereal during the solo in 'Still In Love With You'. One of the best gigs I have ever been to.

One of my bands do a few covers - Waiting for an Alibi, Chinatown (there's some odd timing in that one!), just started to have a crack at Emerald. Great fun - the dual/duel guitar thing sounds great.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1323988587' post='1469675']
My all-time favourite Phil bass line. So simple yet it says so much.
Beautiful guitar solo too.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmNGPyq9eE[/media]
[/quote]

Tony Butler of Big Country quoted this as one of his favourite bass lines when I interviewed him for Bass Guitar Magazine recently.

Did some roadie work at our local venue for Phil after Lizzy split up and he was an absolute gem of a guy. He had an aire of superstardom about him.
He was genuine and treated everyone around the same as his band mates. No airs or graces.
Insisted on buying his round of drinks and taking his turn on the pool table that afternoon.

Great guy and can't fault him.
Huge loss.

I'm a big fan from the Jailbreak / Johnny the Fox era being my fav albums and they were my first live concert band at Glasgow Apollo back in 76 i think it was.
Pure showman

Cheers
Dave