Why become a member? ×

Taking the plunge into the world of 5 string. Advice on basses round the £300 mark.

tonyclaret

As it says above, I have never owned one and want to get something cheap ish as a starting point to test the water. I love jazzes and pretty stubby fingers, so didn't want anything to big and clumsy. Seen a couple of 5 string jazzes at a reasonable price but also seen a few comments on here saying the low b can be a bit naff. Any advice/tips?

Good decision but your £300 budget does limit your choice, if you look at this link just to give you an idea the choice is not that big, [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars.asp?Category=GUBA_15"]http://www.guitargui...ategory=GUBA_15[/url]

you could afford any of the first 4 basses on that page and if I were you I'd go for the 3rd the Ibanez SR305 which is better than the Squier Vintage modified 5.

Another option is a Warwick Rockbass at around £329 retail, which of course is more than you'd pay with cash in hand in a store if you are any good at haggling.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

It really depends on your expectations of a B string.
Most of the complaints about B strings being flappy/floppy can easily be fixed by using a slightly heavier gauge B string.

Bracing myself for the howls of derision, half of the problem isn't with the stringinstrument, it's the way people use it - there really is nothing worse than sitting through a continuous rumble of a three note bass line all hung off the B string.

Hi Tony
I would say going second hand will get you something more than good enough to work out if 5 strings is for you or not and I would recommend something from the for sale section of this forum where I have had some cracking basses including my first fiver (and many others). If you can get something local to you then try it out first. Certainly try some different string spacings and neck profiles, with five strings to stretch across you may want to go for a slimmer neck profile than what you are currently used to on a four but this is not necessarily so, it will depend on how you want to play on the fiver.

As for brands well it is hard to touch the Ibanez offerings for bang for your buck, but I would say that Yamaha are certainly worth looking at as well.

Good luck

Music Man SUB 5 would be my shout. US built and around the £300-£350 mark second hand. I'm a 4-string player through and through and I've found the transition to the SUB really easy when I've been jamming around. In a lot of ways, I find it easier to play faster, more complex lines on the 5 string.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1323725443' post='1466376']
Check this one out [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162400-fs-peavey-international-series-5-string-bass-l100-inc-delivery/"]http://basschat.co.u...0-inc-delivery/[/url]

Cant go wrong for the price
[/quote]
Yep, I'd go for this. I [s]had [/s] have one as my first 5, and then another as my second.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

5 Strings are ALL about the B, IMO...so for that money, concentrate on that area above all else.
I also think heavier strings is a cop out. The B either sounds good or it doesn't.
Of course, dull old strings will not help here either..
Old strings can even kill my basses..IME..!!

It really has to sound balanced with the tone of the other strings but instead might tend to be bass heavy and out of sync..
ditch this bass if that is the case, IMO.

But for £300...you might struggle here.

How about the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection one for sale on here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162040-fs-bass-collection-sb310-active-5-string-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162040-fs-bass-collection-sb310-active-5-string-price-drop/[/url]

Top quality instrument.

Ibby SR305? Great bang for buck. For £300 you could probably get a SH SR505 which would get you better electronics, bart pups etc. Nice string spacing too if you need something a little narrower than the norm.

I have to disagree with the posts stating that B tension is not important on your first 5. The plain fact is that it is. You wouldnt turn up to a gig with only the treble side of your P pickups working would you.......Same concept applies to a weak B string.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1323799048' post='1467268']
Mmm.... Food for thought. Any thoughts on the fender Mexican jazz 5 strings, are they better made than the squires?
[/quote]

I have a mim jazz fiver that is brilliant, with a really well defined B, but I may have got lucky here, 'cos others I have played have been a let down. I think the quality control is a bit variable and its best to try before you buy

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1323813509' post='1467497']
There was a second hand Yamaha TRB1005 in the classifieds recently for about £400. Brilliant basses.
[/quote]

Great shout for TRBs. I have a Yamaha TRB 5 II 10 years old in perfect condition, intact the guy used it so little in that time the original strings were almost new! I got it for £350 sh, absolute bargin and one of the best instruments iv played.

Friend of mine has a 5 string peavey which he has had for years, another top quality bass which he picked up for around the £300 mark, sounds great too he uses it for all his gigs.

Just to put a good word in about the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V! Had mine for a few months and really impressed with it. It's got a great build quality, nice natural finish, 70s Jazz Bass styling (block inlays, neck binding etc) and sounds great too.

Andy

Edited by Andy Cleaver

Hi Tonyclaret,

Did you get sorted with a 5er yet? if not i just noticed this in the for sale section.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162983-yamaha-rbx375-5-string-l200-inc-shipping/

I dont know anything about this particular bass but i did have a 4 string rbx a while ago and it was a cracking bass. It might be worth checking out.

good luck
Peter