Why become a member? ×

What would be a typical 80s British metal/Rock bass?

grimbeaver

Just looking at a project that is an 80s British New wave metal band IE Def Lepoard, Whitesnake etc you get my drift. I have a wonderful Overwater that I love to bits but it looks "too modern" for this. What would be a typical glam metal rock bass, flying V? T,bird? White fender P?

any ideas?

Well a lot of the 80s rockers played Jacksons and Kramers. Spectors also used to be a pretty common sight around American 80s rock/glam metal guys - Kip Winger et al. I'm a bit of an 80s rock and metal buff!

If you wanted to play it safe I'd just plump for a Fender P-Bass, that wouldn't look out of place at all. It's a good bass anyway, and you can use it for all kinds of bands, and pretty much every rocker ever has used one at some point 80s or otherwise! Oh and make sure you get it in black (mirror pick guard an optional extra) :)

Edited by bencooper

This is a relatively cheap option - the Nikki Sixx Thunderbird

[attachment=94950:42168_l.jpg]

£249 at DV247 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-nikki-sixx-blackbird-bass-guitar-pitch-black--42168"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-nikki-sixx-blackbird-bass-guitar-pitch-black--42168[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1323424749' post='1463117']
A white Hamer Explorer for full on 80s Def Leppard-ishness

[attachment=94949:def-leppard-153336.jpg]
[/quote]

that's his Hamer Scarab which he had through the Hysteria years. He had a lovely Hamer Blitz - Explorer shape - during Pyromania. Some poor deluded souls who have never quite gotten over the 80's still play these

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1323423586' post='1463085']
Just looking at a project that is an 80s British New wave metal band IE Def Lepoard, Whitesnake etc you get my drift. I have a wonderful Overwater that I love to bits but it looks "too modern" for this. What would be a typical glam metal rock bass, flying V? T,bird? White fender P? any ideas?
[/quote]

Depends if you're going predominantly for the look or the sound. Most of the basslines from that genre and time were pretty simple (with the obvious exception of Whitesnake!) and mostly involved eighth note roots. Will anyone other than yourself and other bassists in the audience notice?

Go for a bass that you like the sound of and can play! The P will get you the raunchy tone and cut through well, but the J will give more versatility. What about a Stingray? Good enough for John Deacon and Cliff Williams among others... :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1323425685' post='1463142']
This is a relatively cheap option - the Nikki Sixx Thunderbird

[attachment=94950:42168_l.jpg]

£249 at DV247 [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-nikki-sixx-blackbird-bass-guitar-pitch-black--42168"]http://www.dv247.com...ch-black--42168[/url]
[/quote]

Before his T's he used to play some lovely strippey Blitz's, after he moved on from spikey BC Rich's.

Charvel by Jackson were the basses no 80's metal band could be seen without. Flashy colours and spikey headstock but basically a P/J bass with really nice punchy pickups and a lovely Jazz bass type neck. I had one and it sounded and played great. You can get them now for a song.

What about aria basses, weren't they "rocktastic" in the '80s? I was only a nipper in the 'decade that taste forgot' so I wouldn't really know, and I can't be arsed to google it. :)

MB1. :)
As Used by Cliff Burton ,Jack Bruce ,John Taylor.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1323430853' post='1463233']
What about aria basses, weren't they "rocktastic" in the '80s? I was only a nipper in the 'decade that taste forgot' so I wouldn't really know, and I can't be arsed to google it. :)

MB1. :)
As Used by Cliff Burton ,Jack Bruce ,John Taylor.
[/quote]

Good call - I also seem to remember seeing a Whitesnake video from that era where their resident bassist (not sure which one) was playing an Aria SB.

Edited by Krysbass