Why become a member? ×

Leaving the cab in the car

ras52

I park on the street outside my house... if I'm lucky. If not, I park further down the street... or even in the next street. Being lucky late in the evening is sadly quite rare.

Now, on those unlucky occasions, would you leave a cab in the boot of the car (out of sight, natch)? Winter is icumen in, and I wonder if the poor thing could be damaged by being left out in the cold.

I have left my poor old, UK built, electric blue ashdown combo in the back of my car for a year now. I use it regularly (at least once a week) at smaller gigs and it's never let me down. I would never leave my more expensive stuff out in sub zero temps like I do my ashdown but it only cost me £100 secondhand and it seems like it's bulletproof.

I'd have thought loudspeakers are (or certainly should be) designed to cope with relatively rapid and extreme changes in temperature, given that we regularly flay them with several hundred watts. I don't know what a 'typical' minimum operating temperature is but I'd be more concerned with moisture than heat per se.

Have to admit I do it quite often, and i park on my drive. Just too lazy to hump it into the house, especially if I have another gig next night. I do worry about the damp and th porous paper speaker cones though. Never had a problem in 30 odd years so its probably OK.

I back up to the wall with it in the back, cant see anybody getting it out easily, but my nephew had a 2X15 nicked out of his Astra, so it can happen.

At the early hours do I start unpacking the car from the drive and bring this into the house- no! Only sometimes I`ll take my bass inside and amp/ gear etc. Just too tired. The car has great security mind and is away from prying eyes. I have had trouble with valve amps in the past though- if they dont have time to get used to the heat/ condensation buildup.

Thanks for the responses guys. Double-parking sounds like the fun option. As does the trolley.

As some others have posted, I'd be more concerned with moisture than hot/cold. I may occasionally leave it there with the intention of going back the next day to get it (and then realising a week later than I haven't! :) )

Its risky from an insurance perspective, but if you're covered there shouldn't be any problems. Cover it up and pop a couple of those silica gel pouches in there to grab any moisture and prevent corrosion - that's your biggest enemy. Basses should definitely come out though, in summer and winter, they are not so good with the temperature shifts or condensation. I left my SWR 4x10" in an exposed underground car park for 2 years and a garden shed for another year, still works fine :)

> the car radio and other electronics argument.

Does the boot get damp? Why would condensation appear? Its less likely to appear in the boot as there are no musty breathed musos in there, or at least there shouldn't be (unless it helps the drummer to stop speeding up).

Just the security issue for me.

I used to keep my old 4x10 in the boot after gigs if I was back late, even the head. With a couple of dehumidification packs they were fine, as far as them getting nicked goes, the car double locks so you can't just put the window through and open the door, so if they're able to get a 45kg out of the boot / side window of a VW Polo, to be honest they're more than welcome to it!

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The biggest problem is sudden climate change, for example when you move your gear into a cold car, then into a warm gig and back again after. That's when risk of condensation will be at its highest, not when the gear is left in the car overnight. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]Who worries about those temperature shifts? Who sets their gear up and switches on immediately? You cause more wear and tear if you do that. You should always let the equipment acclimatise before you start it up. [/color][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]
[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]There are many countries that have more extreme climates than we do. The same musical equipment we buy seems to work well in [/color][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][color="#000000"][size=4]Canada[/size][size=4], eastern Europe and [/size][size=4]Scandinavia and even in places of high humidity, like Hawaii and Australia. [/size][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1323334397' post='1462032']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The biggest problem is sudden climate change, for example when you move your gear into a cold car, then into a warm gig and back again after. That's when risk of condensation will be at its highest, not when the gear is left in the car overnight. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]Who worries about those temperature shifts? Who sets their gear up and switches on immediately? You cause more wear and tear if you do that. You should always let the equipment acclimatise before you start it up. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]There are many countries that have more extreme climates than we do. The same musical equipment we buy seems to work well in [/color][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][color=#000000][size=4]Canada[/size][size=4], eastern Europe and [/size][size=4]Scandinavia and even in places of high humidity, like Hawaii and Australia. [/size][/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Agree, except the acclimatise bit. Do you really let your amp and cab acclimatise? If I'm late (not often!) I'm up and running in less than 2 mins regardless of the weather.