Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1326801361' post='1502044']
It's arrived! :D Its metal, and solid and shiny!

[attachment=97552:photo.JPG]

Much darker red than I thought, I'll let you know how it sounds a bit later...
[/quote]

Nice one dude, looking forward to hear your thougts :)

[quote name='soldersqueeze' timestamp='1326804608' post='1502092']
Tempted by this! I've been looking for a D.I solution for easy gigging and if the emulated out on this is any good I'm pretty much sold. Looking forward to brensabre79's thoughts. Anyone else here taken the plunge on this?
[/quote]

Mine is in transit and will hopefully be here in the next couple of days, but I'm so busy at the moment I doubt I'll be able to give it more then a very quick try out until the weekend.

Arrived sooner then I thought!

Had a quick look at the unit and it's a bit bigger then I imagined, the red is quite dark and muted which I'm pleased about as I'm not a fan of red, it's reassuringly heavy as it made from metal and the construction is excellent, the rotary knobs are recessed so you shouldn't hit them when going for the footswitches.

Right back to work.

I haven't had enought time with the unit to give an honest opinion of the it yet but thought I would post the things I find as I start to use it, I downloaded the ASIO driver and plugged it in using USB bus power which works fine, on the down side it doesn't seem to be possible to have the Zoom as the computer input and my Edirol as the output, probably due to the two different ASIO drivers, I'm no expert but there may be a way around this or I just use the Zoom as my sole input/output device.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1327075436' post='1506111']
Just seen this

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/guitar-effects/g5/"]http://www.samsontec...tar-effects/g5/[/url]

Looks like a B5 might not be far off!
[/quote]

Which, if it does appear will address a lot of the limitations of the B3! I like the look and spec of the G5 a lot.

I've had a bit of time to play around with the B3 today and it's pretty impressive, I own compressors, a pitch shifter, distortion, chorus and an octaver, most of which only get used at home on the fretless and I'll probably sell them all now except some of the compressors.

I find the B3 very easy to get on with and can see me having a few patches with amp simulation for practice/recording at home through the computer and a few more with out the amps for rehearsals.

I've never had a muti-effects unit before and the amount of sounds from this is amazing, great fun playing with the synth patches some track a lot better then others though and my sloppy playing can cause some odd glitches, one of the ptichshifters actually tracks better then any pedal I have owned, going down to an open E without glitches.

I'll probably use this instead of my Edirol interface even though it only does 16 bit 44.1KHz recording and you can't turn the displays off so they will be needlessly on while it's used as an interface only.

That's it for now.

R.

It's runs off of a Boss style 9v supply, it's says it's needs 500ma but I've tried it with a 300ma supply and it works fine so you should be able to daisy chain it as long as your power supply has the ampage to cover all your other effects and the B3 - hope that helps.

Do any of the Zoom products do a good version of the "Zoom Ultra Fuzz UF-01"? ( http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/guitar-effects/uf01/ )
I've never tried one, and they don't make them anymore, but it was meant to be a very VERY good fuzz, especially for bass...

Eude