Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328276777' post='1524800']
Thanks for this Richard... what's the Markbass amp sim like? Authentic?
And does it recreate the VLE and VPF filters? Thanks!
[/quote]I spent just a short time with each model or effect. Those that really impressed me I spent a bit longer with. From memory, the Markbass model was warm and clean and in the right ballpark. To me, Markbass is as 'voiced' as GK or Ampeg, for example, so, when going through another (real) amp, the accuracy of the modelled amp is not so noticeable. I would think there would be more obvious differences when DI'd.

As has been stated above, no VLE or VPF. You could program an EQ pedal in one of the slots to recreate what they do though that would take up another 'slot' leaving only one other for an effect.

... following a few annoying fumblings in the dark on stage last night to adjust settings mid song I phoned Richard this morning and should have one by Tuesday :D ... I've got a couple of gigs next weekend, one in a small pub and one in a large club. If I've got to grips with it by then I will report back .. I'm only planning on using the fx (initially) so I can't see me not being ready. The set with the covers band I play in only requires a couple of chorus and distortion/fuzz variations but some of the other effects will no doubt come in handy.

Cheers Richard, I was pretty sold on buying it before the call, but talking to somebody who knows his products was pretty refreshing. B)

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1328367312' post='1526074']
Ordered yesterday, arrived this morning. Looking forward to getting to grips with it when I get out of work.
[/quote]

Mine arrived today too, can't get better service than that so thanks to fxpedalss.co.uk for that one.

First impressions are very favourable, and the patch editing software is really easy and efficient to use. Tried through my rig and all seems OK so I'll take it with me to tonights gig and use it (providing the introduction of new gear without prior rehearsal doesn't introduce too much panic from the other band members)

My only potential criticism is that zoom havent included drain channels in the sides of the unit so that audience beer spills don't collect in the well where the control knobs are :rolleyes:

I'll add some first impressions too. I spent an hour or so with just the bass (Yamaha BB424X), the B3 and a set of headphones.

Construction is solid. The rotary encoders are stepped and are velocity sensitive, so you can give a quick twist to rapidly reach higher parameter settings. The stomp switches feel sturdy and this is reflected throughout the unit. The inputs/outputs on the back don't feel cheap.

Navigation is clear and I couldn't believe how simple it was to swap the three virtual stompboxes - I was expecting menu-diving, but it's a simple up/down button above the screen to select the next/previous effect in the list. In addition to this, you can also change their order in the menus. Speaking of the menus, these are well laid-out with all three screens used to display them - each screen may have up to 3 pages, which are cycled by the 'Page' button.

Editing the effects is as simple as using a regular stompbox, thanks to the three knobs. Where there are more than three parameters, you simply press the page button and the next three parameters are assigned to the knobs.

Coming from the Zoom B1 and Zoom B2, this really is a diddle to navigate and edit.

I've only cycled through the preset patches so far and tweaked each of the effects/amps used in each one, so I haven't sampled all of the effects yet. Here's a little rundown on my thoughts of the effects I've encountered:

Amp Models - I haven't owned any of the amps modeled, so I can't vouch for their authenticity. I have owned the SansAmp VT Bass, which I was itching to buy again, but the SVT model in the B3 has staved off my desire to pick up another as early tinkering has revealed it to be very much of that character. The Fliptop model sounds quite 'plummy' and warm. The Hartke sounds very clean (I've only owned an A35). In short, there is plenty of tonal variety on offer.

Dirt - I particularly like the Fuzz Face, which sounds suitably snarly without being muddy and likewise for the Big Muff. There's a Tube Screamer, which is good for adding a bit of grit. There is what appears to be a model of the Rat and the DS-1, which cover the gamut of distortions.

Chorus - there's what appears to be a model of a CE-1 which is suitably subtle and another chorus whose name escapes me right now which can go quite deep and lush. The Ensemble effect has impressed me with its gentle stereo panning. All good and usable with no murkiness at the bottom end.

Flanger - I've noticed two flangers so far, one of them being a 'Vintage Flanger', which reminds me of my old MXR Flanger. The other Flanger sounded a little more metallic - the Electric Mistress, perhaps. Either way, you'll have no problem playing 'Waiting For an Alibi'!

Phaser - there are 4-stage and 8-stage phasers. The 4-stage being of the vintage type (my preference) - like a Boss PH-1R or a Phase 90 (albeit with extra control over depth and resonance). The 8-stage is naturally richer-sounding and sounds great on low-medium rates. In addition, there's a model of the Roland Jet Phase, as championed by Larry Graham, which has several modes including a distortion & phaser, which sounds ace!

Filter/AutoWah - there are numerous filter and wah onboard, and I have to say that usually, filter/wahs sound nasty on a multi-effects, but they sound great on the B3! The Q replica is suitably funky and there's even a sequenced filter, for step effects. With an expression pedal, you have a couple of wahs, which I haven't yet tried.

Delays - there's a great Memory Man replica which murks up the repeats as they go on and another delay whose name escapes me which has the option to ping-pong in stereo, which is a lot of fun. Naturally, they don't go into self oscillation like an analogue delay would, but they're fun to play around with.

Reverbs - the Room is quite nice and useful for subtly livening up a sound. The Arena is at the other end of the scale and does give a good impression of space.

For £150, this is a steal, and that's without delving deeper into the unit. I'll also applaud fxpedals.co.uk on their usual high standard of services!

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1328473524' post='1527751']
Any gig reviews on this yet? It's annoying there are so few clips on the internets :( only two more sleeps though.
[/quote]

gigged mine last night, all went well, got a really nice grindy drive for the songs that I play with a pick, used a couple of other patches that i knocked up yesterdsay afternoon (synth intro for dakota, needs work but did the job) and wibbly middle eight bit in Fire (Kasabian, not Arthur Brown). Small footprint was a godsend too as it meant it was under little threat from our vocalists manic gyrations :rolleyes:

This looks very interesting. I already have a B2.1u but I am liking the look of the B3. What I can't seem to find anywhere is what the casing is made of, any ideas? The B2.1u is a pretty sturdy lump of metal(well so far my feet haven't broke it). And I am still not sure of straight into the amp or in the effects loop.

[quote name='blackhatbass' timestamp='1328476260' post='1527822']
Just found out you can daisy chain 2 of these together via usb. Could be a good upgrade path....

[/quote]

interesting, I assume that means u could also attach a G3 and control the guitarists effects too :D , (or biamp)

[quote name='Benplaysbass' timestamp='1328484264' post='1528019']
This looks very interesting. I already have a B2.1u but I am liking the look of the B3. What I can't seem to find anywhere is what the casing is made of, any ideas? The B2.1u is a pretty sturdy lump of metal(well so far my feet haven't broke it). And I am still not sure of straight into the amp or in the effects loop.
[/quote]

seems to be metal, I have no concerns about it being able to withstand the rigours of gigging (except for the lack of drainage channels :happy: )

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1328483690' post='1528010']
gigged mine last night, all went well, got a really nice grindy drive for the songs that I play with a pick, used a couple of other patches that i knocked up yesterdsay afternoon (synth intro for dakota, needs work but did the job) and wibbly middle eight bit in Fire (Kasabian, not Arthur Brown). Small footprint was a godsend too as it meant it was under little threat from our vocalists manic gyrations :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Cheers Steve .. sounds like our bands are pretty similar! ha ha, Also sounds like I made a good purchase .. some of the stages I play on are just too tight for my pedal board .. I've actually had to sit it on top of my amp some nights! :blink:

[quote name='Benplaysbass' timestamp='1328484264' post='1528019']
[/quote]

It's metal. As I understand it, this kind of effects should always go between the bass and the amp, the fx loop is for rack fx. Can't remember the reason but I've read about this a few times before, and I've always had horrible sound and noise whenever I tried using floor fx in the fx loop of my SWR 350x.