Why become a member? ×

Barefaced reassurance

4 Strings

When I tried one of the older touring Compacts with my LH500 I was astonished just how loud the combination was.

Increasingly, we are coming to be sceptical about the claimed power ratings on amps and cabs; but at 8 ohms my amp would have probably been putting out somewhere in the region of 300 watts. There is only one volume control on the LH500 and it never went above 5. With a very loud drummer and guitarist. And as all LH500 owners know, the increase in volume gained from turning the volume control from 5 to 6 is enormous!!

With my Vintage (and an even louder band) the volume is never above 4.

I may not understand the physics/sonics - but I know volume, tone and power when I hear it!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1322226418' post='1448204']
I destroyed my band the other night with my MB200 thru my newly acquired Super 12. Amazing cab, just like 51m0n says.

[size=1]Hey, Simon says buy Barefaced... :)[/size]
[/quote]

That's pretty impressive. When I ran your MB200 through my Compact/Midget stack, the results were very good ... but actually persuaded me to buy an MB500 instead.

That Super 12 must be quite astonishing.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1322230352' post='1448297']
That's pretty impressive. When I ran your MB200 through my Compact/Midget stack, the results were very good ... but actually persuaded me to buy an MB500 instead.

[/quote]

Ah, that`s interesting HJ, I`ve just ordered a GK MB500, as for my punk covers band the Ampeg is justn that bit too thick and middy sounding. Glad the concensus is that the MBs work with Compact & Midget setups.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1322230352' post='1448297']

[/quote]
To be fair it was when I was using chorus that it got REALLY silly. I liked it :)

Well, thanks all, it all sounds very good and certainly no complaints, so far anyway.

Its certainly a hefty wedge to get both but it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and take a trip to see Alex tomorrow, as long as things don't otherwise change (for example the wife's birthday!). Hopefully all will be to plan and there'll be some cabs for sale soon to pay for it and release some space.

Honestly all these comments while helpful the only one who can tell you for sure and honestly is Alex or one of his other wizards.
Despite being busy he does answer all emails.

Personally I love my compact, the last gig I did it provided the main bass sound for a small club with pa only adding that rumble factor.

The thing on watts from my view is that the compact at least, needs a good 300watts at 8ohm, I've tried a few other heads (ampeg, eden) that have been quoted as having around 300watts and they've not had the juice to push it.

Depth?
A lot of people confuse 2x10 inability to voice the mid range correctly as depth so I think the striking clarity of the mids on any barrfaced cab is shocking, however I stand by having a gteat "flat" tone is easier to manage in loud situation and easily transfered to different genre's.

1 compact is loud. A compact and a midget will be very very very loud.

I've got two Compacts.
I mostly use one, putting my MarkBass through it, probably around 300w or so, I've never wanted for anything more. Plenty plenty loud enough for small & medium gigs, and large gigs I have PA support.
When I put 500w through both Compacts...phew it sounds huge! Huge enough to convince Shep to buy his Barefaced :)

Si

Well, just a little update, In now have a Midget and a Compact here at home.

Enjoyable little session with the man himself who whizzed down to his facility on his mountain bike to meet me. I could only pop down on a Saturday and Alex had time to come and meet me and, as the place was empty, have a little try out. He encouraged me to a direct comparison with my own gear, which I did to my hearts content (after he had a little go on my bass first!).

I had my Hartke 2.5XL and I hadn't realised how coloured its sound is, but could only realise this against the Compact. The 5" driver seems to really push out the highs and compared to Alex's speakers the sound was much more scooped than I was giving it credit for. The Compact seems to reproduce what you put it, as someone said before, pretty much uncoloured bass guitar sound.

With regard to power it took all my HA5000 could offer, the distortion I heard was, Alex said, my amp. To prove the point he plugged in his GB amp (600W I think rather than the 170W into 8Ohms my HA5000 can do with one speaker). Yes, it went significantly louder with no distortion. hmm. So I DO need another amp!

However this highlighted the compromise. We all know about basic of the 3 part compromise for speakers - size vs low frequencies vs efficiency. The sizes are clearly tiny, the low frequencies are largely there, but the efficiency needs a lot of Watts to make use of all this.

The little Midget sounded huge for its diminutive size and, as with the Compact, could not be outdone with regards to input power.

I have a couple of rehearsals this week and a gig with my Motown band on Saturday and these will be a much better test than trying to destroy eardrums in solitude. These are very much on trial as, to be honest, I wasn't convinced that the sound was worth £900 for the two but could be in practice.

Last note is that both cabs are unbelievably light, Alex has done a great job in designing lightweight products, compared with my cabs they seem to weigh nothing at all.

I'll be back.

Edited by 4 Strings

They are costly, but since owning mine, my shoulder/upper back, where I have an injury, has been fine. Previously, I used to leave my 410 in the car and just take it out for rehearsals, and even doing this aggravated it - and it was a lightweight 52lbs. Whereas now I carry the two cabs, together, to the car for each rehearsal. No problems. The sound of the cabs is good, but when you bring in the additional convenience factor, they really are worth the outlay.

I'm sitting here, over 100 miles from home tapping into Basschat instead of playing my bass through my new toys! Bit of a frustrating week, rehearsal last night was a vocal thing and I'm in the wrong part of the country for tonights.

Had a neighbour rumbling lone practice hour on Monday afternoon and, apart from giving myself a headache, was discovering the better definition from the BFs which is currently an important issue for me (in trying to keep volumes at gigs down).

I really wanted to try one but Alex didn't have a completed cab and, tbh, I'm stretching the budget beyond what I can justify already. It is apparently tuned lower and, being a smaller driver in the same size box will be naturally deeper, something I'm after. I'm sure just a Big One would suffice instead of the Compact/Midget combination but I really like the idea of a tiny box for all those rehearsal journeys so the Midget is an important factor.

I'm sure others have a similar issue when not going through a PA in that to really hear what you're doing ends up being too loud for the overall mix. Better definition will help me reduce my volume and remain happy. I hope.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1322605325' post='1453559']

I'm sure others have a similar issue when not going through a PA in that to really hear what you're doing ends up being too loud for the overall mix. Better definition will help me reduce my volume and remain happy. I hope.
[/quote]

Nope... It is all about the ability of the set-up to cut through.
I never have to be too loud to hear myself. The whole point of a good rig is to be able to hear what you are playing.
And I have a style that needs to hear every little nuance... for good or bad..!! It would p*** me off massively if I couldn't do that..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322605758' post='1453573']
Nope... It is all about the ability of the set-up to cut through.
I never have to be too loud to hear myself. The whole point of a good rig is to be able to hear what you are playing.
And I have a style that needs to hear every little nuance... for good or bad..!! It would p*** me off massively if I couldn't do that..
[/quote]

Me too, mainly with the Motown where I want to hear the grace notes and rolling the strings. If its too mushy (every gig seems to be different in some way) I need to go up a bit. This is one of the things I'm really looking forward to hear.

Just acquired a Compact (using an MB500 amp) and am genuinely stunned by the sound quality. Not sure whether I need a second cab just yet as I've only had one practice with the band. If I think I do I will be considering either doubling up with another Compact (before 23rd December!) or a Midget. Both combinations get very good customer feedback.

Just a little update, I took the advice about putting plenty of Watts in and approached the Motown gig on saturday rather clumsily on the volume. I started with just the Midget, then swapped around with the Compact, and both together, roughly half an hour each combination.

In the car on the way home, sharing with the sound guy and drummer, I asked if I was too loud. They agreed I was and the drummer, completely seriously, stated that, at times he knew he was hitting the drums as he could feel it but couldn't hear them due to the bass. Does that mean I won?

In all seriousness the volume setting was around 9-10 O'Clock when normally its at 12 and even the little Midget was perfectly loud enough for a large restaurant/dance venue with around 150 people. With both running I had to turn down on the guitar.

Depth was fine with the Compact, a little wanting on the Midget but, with the mind of pushing loads into the drivers, I tweaked up the 'Low Pass' on the amp and its sounded fine. Not a huge, warm sound but absolutely fine. The Compact gave a warm enough sound but then also to be considered was the stacking meaning the Compact was on the floor with the Midget on top and so this was always likely.

I think I should have the Midget T, certainly not for the Motown but 'just in case' as someone said and, having heard me play, suggested by Alex. Another £100 though.

I hope to put together a review (to add to those already there) but I'll resolve this 'T' issue first.