Why become a member? ×

Vote on the Basschat Reputation System

Kiwi

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321814182' post='1443401']
Hardly surprising. They'd spend 24 hours a day on there deciding what's musical and what isn't.
Remember that OT was created specifically 'For talking crap really - or anything not bass related at least.'
[/quote]
Well maybe the "How Was Your Gig?" thread could be moved to another forum? It's pretty much bass related since it's the bass player's experience of a gig.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1321814359' post='1443404']
Well maybe the "How Was Your Gig?" thread could be moved to another forum?
It's pretty much bass related since it's the bass player's experience of a gig.
[/quote]

Absolutely. I've always thought 'How Was Your Gig' should be under 'General Bass Discussion'.

Erm.. if you are talking about music in Off Topic, what Topic is it "Off" exactly?
Not enough exploding brains around here.
Except of course Skanks which having exploded is currently expanding into a universe all of it`s very own.
If you look on the bright side though we could [i]all[/i] be selling candles in a shop near Frodsham.
So think on.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1321864454' post='1443725']
I'll admit that would certainly create less problems for us.
[/quote]

[PEDANTRY] fewer problems. :) [/PEDANTRY]

Seriously though, good point. You guys have got enough Administrating to do as it is, why make extra work for yourselves with this needless tosh when there are a thousand other more important things you could be doing?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1321828792' post='1443626']
If you look on the bright side though we could [i]all[/i] be selling candles in a shop near Frodsham.
[/quote]

Suggest this become a new exclamation of surprise on a par with 'I'll go to the foot of our stairs!' Or 'I'll go to Fleetwood on a tram!'

'Well, I'll sell candles in Frodsham!'

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321813545' post='1443376']
I don't get the anti-Off Topic Brigade... if you dislike Off-Topic that much then why go there?
It's just control-freakery IMHO.
[/quote]

I am neither pro or anti. The reason I brought it up was in response to Hamster's remark in this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160229-reputation-system/page__st__20 that:

"It is hoped that this will rein in some of the confrontational and obnoxious posters who get personal in Off Topic - rather than get rid of Off Topic all together - which has been considered many many times."

My point is that if I'm given a choice between having this reputation system clutter up the entire board and finding another way to keep Off-Topic under control, then I'm for the latter. If I were an anti-Off-Topic, I could not go there, but I wouldn't be able to avoid the reputation system because it would be everywhere else.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1321870796' post='1443793']
I am neither pro or anti. The reason I brought it up was in response to Hamster's remark...

'It is hoped that this will rein in some of the confrontational and obnoxious posters who get personal in Off Topic - rather than get rid of Off Topic all together - which has been considered many many times.'

..if I'm given a choice between having this reputation system clutter up the entire board and finding another way to keep Off-Topic under control, then I'm for the latter.
[/quote]

I take your point, but why try to keep Off-Topic under control at all? Let it go nuts and police itself. Like South Norwood.
Would BC really remove what is by far its most popular, entertaining and thought-provoking forum?

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1321864454' post='1443725']
Looks like the current majority is to totally deactivate it. I'll admit that would certainly create less problems for us.
[/quote]
It still looks to me like the current majority want to keep it (33+38 to keep 70 to deactivate) but I can't be bothered with this poll and how I "interpret it" any more. I wish now I'd just voted to get rid of it entirely instead of voting to have a "good karma" button built into the forum like it was before. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321872321' post='1443804']
I wish now I'd just voted to get rid of it entirely instead of voting to have a "good karma" button built into the forum like it was before.
[/quote]

You can still do that: Click 'Delete My Vote' then vote again. I did.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321872577' post='1443809']
You can still do that: Click 'Delete My Vote' then vote again. I did.
[/quote]
Cheers bud. That would feel a bit unconstitutional [u]for me[/u] to do - "I've made my bed..." and all that.

Nice option for the ladies though "it's a womans perogative" etc etc :) Ooh sexist let's neg the biatch. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321872866' post='1443813']
Cheers bud. That would feel a bit unconstitutional [u]for me[/u] to do - "I've made my bed..." and all that.
[/quote]

Puritan! :)
You're allowed to change your mind, you know.

Edited by discreet

Far from trying to negate cliques..I think it could be a tool to promote them.

Either someone is willing to stand by their posts and POV or not... and if they aren't then they should leave the thread..not read and possibly postr neg marks without contributing anything at all.

As for OT... again, you will be cutting down on the number of threads to get involved in...and again, not good, IMO.
If you don't like a thread or the way it is going you can then use that 'type nothing' facility

Like in party politics, the option with the most votes would be the winner. For example...

Red party = 50 votes
Blue party = 50 votes
Yellow party = 49 votes
Green party = 51 votes

The winner here is Green, but only 25.5% of people are in favour of them. 74.5% are in favour of NOT Green - but do they win ? The only way it would work is if 2 parties worked together to form a coalition of voters and vote for the same thing, forming a majority and overall control of the outcome. But that would be silly.

That doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. Given the poll options the example doesn't work instead it would be:

Red Party = 50
Red And Yellow Party to share the rule = 50
Yellow Party = 4
Green Party = 51

So in the above the Red Party has been voted for 100 times and only 51 + 4 are against the red party