Why become a member? ×

your best ever bass?

Golchen

I was just wondering what you guys would nominate as the best bass you have ever owned or played?

I have a headless status 5 string at the moment, and I really like it, but I just don't think that it's my 'ideal' bass. I'm looking for ideas as to decent kit that people have bonded with in some way. pics allowed!

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='163570' date='Mar 26 2008, 09:15 AM']I was just wondering what you guys would nominate as the best bass you have ever owned or played?

I have a headless status 5 string at the moment, and I really like it, but I just don't think that it's my 'ideal' bass. I'm looking for ideas as to decent kit that people have bonded with in some way. pics allowed![/quote]
This was 'the one' for me.. Stolen from our studio in 1993 and I've missed it ever since!

[attachment=6882:Pro_2e__PB1169.jpg]

1978 Wal Pro2e.. I still have one now but I miss this one like mad for some reason...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='163686' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:30 PM']This was 'the one' for me.. Stolen from our studio in 1993 and I've missed it ever since!

1978 Wal Pro2e.. I still have one now but I miss this one like mad for some reason...[/quote]

Ba****ds! Must of been awful .

I also was a complete arsewipe when i sold my favourite fretless!! :)

Edited by walplayer

I've owned -- thinks -- 7 basses over the years, the most recent of which is my Cort Artisan B5 which I got a couple of months back. It's the only 5-string I've ever played and I love it. It's perfectly balanced, beautifully finished, has a gorgeous thumpy woody tone, loads of scope from the EQ, the neck is quick and easy, and the fretwork is damn near perfect. Also, I was amazed at how easy it was to adapt to a 5-string after only ever playing 4's. Within a few days it felt natural and instinctive, and I really "gelled" with the instrument very quickly.

:)

[attachment=6889:babies.JPG]

Edited by Astronomer

I'm pretty happy with all my basses at the moment tbh and it's difficult for me to choose one above the other.

I love my P basses...

I'm very partial to my Roscoe - the woods, finish and build quality are just a league above anything else I own

[attachment=6892:my_Roscoe_skb.jpg]

I also love the sound of my Warwick Fortress One - it's got TONE with capital everything even though I recognise that it's as ugly as sin.

[attachment=6890:my_stati...otel__7_.jpg]

And then there's the Ric Blue Boy. Gorgeous but an acquired taste.

[attachment=6891:kif_0574.jpg]

You can't choose between your kids. S'not right.

The one's that got away? Should never have sold my Gibson Grabber or my Ibanez Blazer.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='163686' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:30 PM']This was 'the one' for me.. Stolen from our studio in 1993 and I've missed it ever since!

1978 Wal Pro2e.. I still have one now but I miss this one like mad for some reason...[/quote]

Aww mate, I had no idea. That must have been horrible. Scum of the earth, people that steal such personal items like that. Second to dog-napping, it is probably the worst form of stealing I could imagine! I hope your current one compares.

[quote name='ped' post='163755' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:01 PM']Aww mate, I had no idea. That must have been horrible. Scum of the earth, people that steal such personal items like that. Second to dog-napping, it is probably the worst form of stealing I could imagine! I hope your current one compares.[/quote]
Cheers Ped!

The current one is great but the other one was the first Wal Pro I'd had and I'd been after one for years, so losing it was a real blow! Amazingly, we caught the guy who did it but never recovered the gear.. Then the powers that be allowed him bail, and he vanished out of the country!!! Stupid Ba****ds.
I also had my first Wal Custom stolen from a studio as well about 6 years earlier which was also a very unpleasant experience. Because an instrument is so individual, if you lose one it's much worse in my view than losing something like an amp or speaker. Suffice to say, I never leave my basses anywhere now..

[quote name='walplayer' post='163705' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:51 PM']Ba****ds! Must of been awful .

I also was a complete arsewipe when i sold my favourite fretless!! :)[/quote]
Walplayer - that's a beautiful fretless.. I can feel your 'pain'! What is it that makes us do something like that? :wacko:

As far as 5 string basses go (and I've had too many over the years), this is the one:

[attachment=6907:RBV_1.jpg]
It'll be with me at the Bash on Sunday if anyone fancies trying it out..

It has to be my Sei for a fretted...

and my Conklin GT7 as a fretless (de-fretted and ramped by Jon Shuker)

Photo courtesy G.Jones

Reminds me, I definately need to check those Bongos out. They look strange but I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

Edited by 7string