Why become a member? ×

Gong, Steve Hillage etc

Clarky

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1319839153' post='1419319']
Ali Baba,chicken and cheese......If your going to sneeze
Opium for the people :)
I Saw planet Gong mid 70's at the Bolton Institute of technology,on a school night too-happy days
they all travelled around in that beat up single decker bus,
Free admission to the gig -they just passed the hat round afterwards.
[/quote]

I saw them on that tour, 1978? In a deconsecrated church somewhere near Salisbury. They were excellent. IIRC the guy who drove us knew their bass player. Their road manager (?) was a bloke called Grant Showbiz, whose name pops up on other stuff every now and then.

Also saw Steve Hillage in Sheffield, 1979 or '80, instead of going to see the Ruts who were on the same night. TBH I should have gone to see the Ruts... I went to sleep in the gig :)
(completely without chemical enhancement, I should add... :) )

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1319901227' post='1419934']
Another big fan of Steve Hillage here - I remember buying L and playing it several times over non stop - that must have been around '76. Wnet to see him the same year at Hammersmith Odeon. I kinda liked the first Gong album, Camembert Electrique, which had lot's of wacky parts and a few really good songs
[/quote]
Yeah I got L -a very popular album amongst a certain group of people I used to hang about with,1976 a scorcher of a summerI too

Big Pothead Pixie Gong fan here; been to a few Gong conventions, notably Glastonbury when Steffi Sharpstrings and Steve Hillage played the Om' riff (Master Builder) together for the first time - totally mind blowing......i didn't get to see the end as i was shortly throwing up outside...ahem (Cider etc !!!). I was also in the Planet Gong family club, so bit of a Gong geek i guess :)

I briefly played in a band in Glastonbury, Altered Native, who made it onto the Gong outer family mandala...that was a proud moment :) .

Albumswise...well I've got most Gong, Mother Gong, Gong Maison, New Your Gong, Shapeshifter Gong, Planet Gong, Mike Howlett, Steve Hillage, Pierre Morelen etc etc albums...few on vinyl too and lots of the Gong associated bands - Here & Now (Big up Keith the Missile!!!) Invisible Opera, University of Errors etc.

Favourite Gong tunes: well [b]Cats in Clarks Shoes[/b] off the Shamal/Wingful of Eyes album is an all time favourite and i love [b]A sprinkling of clouds [/b]on the You album......but then i love loads of Gong including the Techno remixes......too many to mention. You never blow your trip for ever :)
A nice cover
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8xF1rix6Y[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFOtLdD7vU[/media]

Edited by Rasta

Anyone remember Here & Now? They were around in the late 70's, early 80's if I rembember correctly.

Favourite Gong album is Camembert Electrique and favourite track on that album is 'You Can't Kill Me'

'Hurdy Gurdy Man' on Live Herald is superb IMO

Think I'm going to spend the rest of the morning looking through my old vinyl and getting nostalgic.

I saw Steve Hillage on the Fish Rising tour at Uni in the late 70's. I still have that album on vinyl. Also have Camembert Electrique - which my wife hates, I also love the more Jazz-influenced Pierre Moerlin's Gong. I have a couple of copied albums of which I can identify one as Gasuese but the other I cannot find on Spotify or Grooveshark.

As I remember, Steve was also involved in a ambient electronic group(?) called System 7. Not sure when.

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1319995954' post='1421023']
Anyone ever worked out the groovy riff at the start of this ?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHj-JjcAo3k[/media]

Would love the music/tab of this....one to play with a synth bass effect for sure :)
[/quote]
Use to have this album embroidered on to my wrangler when I was 13. :) I was such a hipster, not.

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1319995954' post='1421023']
Anyone ever worked out the groovy riff at the start of this ?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHj-JjcAo3k[/media]

Would love the music/tab of this....one to play with a synth bass effect for sure :)
[/quote]
I can get pretty much exactly the same sound out of my EBS envelope filter, which is the reason I bought it.

Loved this one (bass etc does'nt kick until around 2.20 if you want to skip ) .....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvYNb67B5dQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvYNb67B5dQ[/url]

Fly teapot, was it Keith "missile" bass or something ? ive the album, might dig it out

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1320048984' post='1421493']
To this day I am known to position my finger twixt lips and wibble them about whilst verbally fishing for a cup o' char from the kids. They do not understand. :) Nor do they make any tea. Bastards.
Mike Howlett - I remember Master Builder (I think) on the 'You' album as a good example of his art.
[/quote]

Ha! My 12 year old stepson sings the bit from Flying Teapot when making tea. Have a cuppa tea, have another one, lovely cuppa tea! Never makes me one though...

Like some of Hillage's stuff, especially the Green album which I picked up on cassette in the early 80's and now have on CD. Bands like Ozric Tentacles probably wouldn't exist without the groundwork done by Hillage et al. Not quite so keen on Gong, one of those bands that I listened to expecting and wanting to like but it just didn't float my boat to the same extent, do have their 'best of' CD though.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1320054395' post='1421533']
Loved this one (bass etc does'nt kick until around 2.20 if you want to skip ) .....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvYNb67B5dQ[/media]

Fly teapot, was it Keith "missile" bass or something ? ive the album, might dig it out
[/quote]
Keith 'Missile' came later with the Here & Now connection.... Francis Moze was the bass man on Flying Teapot who was also on some early Magma albums.... Mike Howlett stepped in from 'Angel's egg' (the 2nd album of the Radio Gnome Trilogy ) ... I still think 'You' the 3rd album of the Trilogy has the classic Gong vibe...

all together now!.....

" IAO ZA-I ZA-O
MA-I MA-O
TA-I TA-O NOW!"

Edited by bottomfeed