Why become a member? ×

Gong, Steve Hillage etc

Clarky

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1319843035' post='1419372']
we all on the jazz fags tonight ?

:)
[/quote]

At the risk of being accused of unwelcome thread resurrection, might I cast your mind back to 1990... something... The Tangier Flandria Hotel and Planet Gong's 'Floating Anarchy'? The Terror!

Gong are one of the ones I should listen to, tough, as I was a prog fan and liked the Canterbury stuff. Trouble was, when I was growing up, if you wanted to hear anything out of the ordinary, you had to listen to the radio or buy it. Gong were certainly never on the radio and my meagre income would never stretch far enough to allow me to invest in too many 'maybes'. By the time t'internet came along, these guys would have been off my radar. My list of oversights is massive....

Gong may be more your thing Bilbo as they are quite jazzy in places. However, I did the same thing in the late 70's/early 80's having got into Hawkwind and heard Hillage, Here and Now and some other prog hippie types. I decided I really ought to give 'em a go and whilst I liked occasional tracks (first album I got was Camemebrt) I didn't find whole albums particularly strong. My cheapo 'best of' collection is still the only Gong album in my CD collection.
I have been diverted in the last few years though. Some kindly soul made an entire collection of obscure prog/art music stuff available as a free download a few years back and I've been slowly wading through that. A good deal of that stuff is quite jazzy and off the wall and I enjoy quite a bit of it at least as much as, or more so, than Gong yet a lot of the artits were quite unknown to me even though I thought I had a decent grounding in the area (canterbury stuff etc).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1335193453' post='1626978']
Trouble was, when I was growing up, if you wanted to hear anything out of the ordinary, you had to listen to the radio or buy it. Gong were certainly never on the radio and my meagre income would never stretch far enough to allow me to invest in too many 'maybes'.
[/quote]

That was true for me too - but I discovered Gong thanks to Virgin Records selling the Camembert Electrique album for 50p - the price of a 7" single at the time. They did the same for the Faust Tapes.

Last yule I received the Live In Sherwood Forest 1975 CD as a prezzie - great version of Isle of Everywhere. I love how that track cycles between 4/4, 7/8 and 6/8, moving from rocky to angular to more laid-back jazzy and back.

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1335179744' post='1626689']
At the risk of being accused of unwelcome thread resurrection, might I cast your mind back to 1990... something... The Tangier Flandria Hotel and Planet Gong's 'Floating Anarchy'? The Terror!
[/quote]

pales into insignificance beside the nik turner albums you brought along.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1335194707' post='1627008']
pales into insignificance beside the nik turner albums you brought along.
[/quote]

It's never been the same since; like there's always something missing. Probably sunstroke and paranoia!

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1335201468' post='1627184']
And a spinoff from the same roots - [i]Fantasy Shift[/i] by Here & Now
[/quote]

'All Over The Show' by Here&Now is my favourite- live punky prog in the same vein as the Planet Gong Album but without Daevid Allen and the girly voices. Brilliant! Based most of my style on Steffi Sharpstrings guitar playing!

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1335249594' post='1627802']
It's never been the same since; like there's always something missing. Probably sunstroke and paranoia!

'All Over The Show' by Here&Now is my favourite- live punky prog in the same vein as the Planet Gong Album but without Daevid Allen and the girly voices. Brilliant! Based most of my style on Steffi Sharpstrings guitar playing!
[/quote]

Have you heard Mr Sharpstrings' new music? Pretty damn nice!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1335251842' post='1627823']
[/quote]

I've heard some of the Ici Maintenants stuff (Space and Time album)- but that was from 2003. Lovely guitar and synthi-burbles. Just like old times, lol.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1335251842' post='1627823']
[/quote]

I'll have to check that out. I rather lost touch with Here and Now. I must have seen them at least half a dozen times in their Floating Anarchy period, around 1977/8, with and without Daevid Allen.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1335266860' post='1628229']
I'll have to check that out. I rather lost touch with Here and Now. I must have seen them at least half a dozen times in their Floating Anarchy period, around 1977/8, with and without Daevid Allen.
[/quote]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/steffe"]http://soundcloud.com/steffe[/url]

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1335267808' post='1628257']
Thanks! :)
[/quote]

A pleasure! Keith Tha Bass played a gig in Kingston last week for his birthday, he posts his poetic impressions of the weather every morning on Facebook, really quite funny to read, and oddly comforting :)

I shall look forward to checking out some of the video links in the comfort of my own home & set of cans on.

I am a big fan of Hillage, Gong & Hawkwind.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the epic [i]Live Herald [/i]by Steve Hillage. One of my fav LP's of his.