Why become a member? ×

What was your most embarrassing moment at a gig?

duncbassgit

This could be a long thread! Apologies if this has been done before.
Right, well I'll kick it off. Don't be shy, and tell us all what you did wrong!!!

When I was a mere 18 in 1979 and in my 2nd band, we were playing at a mates 21st party in a village hall. I got so pissed I was not only playing the wrong bass notes, but actually playing the wrong songs!! Having been sick on the set list stuck to the monitor in front, I struggled on through the set. On the 2nd to last song I fell off the stage whilst playing and broke the neck of my Cimar bass!!
I never went back to that village hall again!! Embarassed ? Me ....of course!!! :)
Duncan

Edited by duncbassgit

I think there's going to be a lot of teenage vomit involved in this thread...

Was playing at a gig about 200 years ago (when I was 17), and between sets got off with a very stylish-looking older woman (probably around 24) much to the consternation and envy of my bandmates.

I should have asked myself why she would be attracted to a gangly, half-pissed spotty git with bad hair, and this became apparent when she started staggering around a lot and then blew a massive fountain of carroty chunks (in a rich half-digested sherry sauce) all over me from neck to boots.

I had to play the second set minging horribly of spew and with sticky bits in my hair, while pretty much everyone in the room laughed and pointed. Those, as they say, were the days. And I'm glad they're over.

My cousins band were booked for a birthday party in soham and invited a few poeple including me along. What my cousin didn't tell us was that it was a 16th birthday. And the band hadn't told the poeple throwing the party they would be bringing guests, also the lowest age in our group was 21. So we spent 3 hours in a pub round the corner.

It's not MY most embarrassing moment, but a few months ago there was an 18th birthday party going on in a pub I was playing at.
Towards the end of the night a buxom young girl stumbled into the FB monitor and crashed onto my pedalboard revealing far more than she would've wanted to.
All of a sudden I had chorus, overdrive and wah engaged, with a pair of knockers looking up at me.

I'm doing a gig in drag on Saturday (Morticia Addams), and depping on Sunday. So I'll sure to have plenty more entries by Monday morning...

Last gig...

Intro music plays and drums (programmed start up). I start playing exactly where I should, however the guitarist and the singer were both down on the desk so out front and on stage all I could hear was me & drums. Not a good start to the gig.

To top it off (metal gig) the whole set was super quiet :)

Not a gug, however......... Was depping in a wedding band at a venue with a number if halls. Arrived and introduced myself to the drummer who was already setting up. Got my rig going and was tuning up for soundcheck when I got a text asking where I was.

Turned out I was in the wrong hall with the wrong band! Oops!

for all the running and jumping into the crowd ive done in the past, the most embarrasing moment came at a gig in london, we played through the first song and something didnt feel right and i couldnt hear the bass...... silly ol' me had forgotton to turn the mute switch off, schoolboy...

Edited by RockfordStone

Worst one I can think of was a gig I did at a venue in Windsor a few years back.

Tuned up before the gig in a bit of a rush...Band kicks off the first few numbers and for some reason it doesn't sound right at all, but I can't figure out why until the keyboard player tells me I'm playing a semitone flat. Turns out that I'd used the wrong setting on the tuner....

Felt a right Muppett...

Being a smart arse I worked out I could tune my bass in the last verse of a song with no bass in the verse, ready for the next song which was in Eflat.
I was half way through, having done the G and D strings when I hear "And on Bass....." my head shot up as I remembered someone vaguely muttering about band intros and I went into Rabbit in the headlights mode..
So with everyone looking at me I snapped out of tune mode on the GT6 and noodled a bit on the D&G strings trying to do my best Jazz Flute routine while attempting to look nonchalant.
I later saw a vid,the noodling wasn`t as bad as it was in my head,although still a at least a two palmer, but my poker face needs serious work.
Back to taking two basses I think.

Local charity festival thing last year, the start of our set was in D Standard, so i had brought my 4 string along too because it was easier than transposing it on my 5 string. We're all onstage ready to go, just tuning up and PING! Snapped my E and A (Well, D and G really, as i was tuned down) strings. 5 string with a capo it is....

Another gig, last month. I had sat on the edge of the stage for a slower bit in a song, and tried to do that thing where you jump up and backwards to get back onto the stage, only i didnt jump high enough. So for the last chorus of Teenage Dirtbag i was lay in a heap on the floor, having hit my head on a cymbal stand and somehow sprained my wrist in the process, whilst still playing along.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1319791049' post='1418538']
Another gig, last month. I had sat on the edge of the stage for a slower bit in a song, and tried to do that thing where you jump up and backwards to get back onto the stage, only i didnt jump high enough. So for the last chorus of Teenage Dirtbag i was lay in a heap on the floor, having hit my head on a cymbal stand and somehow sprained my wrist in the process, whilst still playing along.
[/quote]

Don't suppose there's a video of this is there? :)

I had a pedal-operated smoke machine at my feet, and my bass combo was plugged into the same outlet on a block adapter. Fired some smoke, stepped away from the machine with my foot caught around the cable and pulled my amp's plug out of the wall. Took me ages to plug it back in because I couldn't see the socket for all the smoke. :)

I also once got so drunk that I played the wrong song all the way to the first chorus, completely oblivious. That was the last time I drank before a gig.

Oh and once my band made me play a solo (the only time I've ever played a solo) and while I was soloing our percussionist snuck up behind me and de-kegged me in front of about 1000 punters. He also once picked me up, turned me upside-down and shook me until everything fell out of my pockets, again in front of a full house. Having a prankster in the band who's also a former state wrestling champ can be tiring sometimes.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1319792994' post='1418569']
I've not quite managed to turn up without the bass, but I'm sure that that time will come.
[/quote]
I did that. S'what happens when someone helps load the car. Not the most embarrassing moment, I've been on stage with trouser flies open before.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1319793444' post='1418575']
I've been on stage with trouser flies open before.
[/quote]

Oh yes. Thankfully, even though I couldn't button my jeans, I did manage to button my boxers, or that would really have been a contender for this list. Quite literally, rock out with your cock out!

I think such an occasion would call for some tactical bass ,placement, for the purposes of modesty and not making too many people jealous :)