Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a bass for around 300 quid?

falcodub

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked many a time, I am a relative beginner but imroving (slowly!)
Now, I currently play a modified wesley which I didn't pay mega bucks for, however, I want a bit more depth and quality and find myself looking at basses for sale, and why not xmas is coming!

Not being an expert I am looking for guidance on if it is even worth spending around 300 on a replacement or if i should wait until i can step up to the 500+ bracket?
I appreciate I will be looking at the 2nd hand market for better value for money.

I would like a 4 string fretted, and my main interest is funk music although it needs to be a good all rounder.
But i want a bass with a nice deep fat sound!!

Any guidance appreciated :)

Have a look at this. I played one and was very impressed with the build quality and tone. Deep and fat, I'm sure plenty of funk has been played on a P Bass over the years.

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10032916472428"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10032916472428[/url]

My advice is just to try as many as you can, it's all down to personal preference. For me, the feel is by far the most important thing. Followed by the sound and then looks. As people have mentioned above though, you just can't go wrong with a Yamaha, and obviously P's and J's have been around for so long for a reason.

If I was in your shoes right this second....... I would probably take a punt on the Washburn XB800 with Status electronics that's in the For Sale forum at the moment for £200, and either blow the rest or start a fund for the next acquisition.....

Like TRBboy says, go & try loads out & find one that you get on with. Ibanez are brilliant basses for the money & even better 2nd hand, for £300 you could get something that would give most £800 s/h basses a run for their money. But, would you get on with the slim neck? Only you could know that.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1319149119' post='1410695']Like TRBboy says, go & try loads out & find one that you get on with. Ibanez are brilliant basses for the money & even better 2nd hand, for £300 you could get something that would give most £800 s/h basses a run for their money. But, would you get on with the slim neck? Only you could know that.[/quote]

Ssshhhh! Don't tell him about the Ibanezezezs! I've got my eye on that pink SR800 in the FS forum........ Just wish I had some spare dosh to buy it! That would truly satisfy my cheesy rock bass GAS!

The Classic Vibe Squiers as in billyapples post get a lot of love on here, both Precisions and Jazzes. They turn up every now and then in the For Sale section, but don`t seem to hang around too long, Def worth a try in a music shop, then see if one turns up if you like it. Yamaha & Ibanez also quality makes and definately worth checking out.

But, the main thing is, buy the one that`s right for you. For some reason, and I don`t know why, I avoided buying a Fender Precision for years, prob thinking they were too expensive, but was never fully happy with any bass I had. Til I got a Precision. I was trying to get that sound on the cheap I think, and really, I`ve prob spent much more in avoiding the right bass for me, than if I`d just bought one in the first place.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157909-fs-mint-1987-ibanez-sr800-soundgear-4-string-bass-price-dropped/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157909-fs-mint-1987-ibanez-sr800-soundgear-4-string-bass-price-dropped/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

Still keen to move it on so make me an offer - i can only say no :)

My Bartolini equipped Dean. The link is in my signature.

It's a fantastic bit of kit, and I moved onto it just like you (from my first bass, a budget Crafter MusicMan copy).

If you're anywhere near London you're more than welcome to come and try it. Wonderful thin neck and a fantastic sound. Nice and lightweight too!

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1319231268' post='1411738']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157909-fs-mint-1987-ibanez-sr800-soundgear-4-string-bass-price-dropped/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Still keen to move it on so make me an offer - i can only say no :)
[/quote]

£4.63, a half eaten pack of chewing gum and a button? :)

There is a really nice Squire P-Bass (1983 MIJ) in the basses for sale section for £400. Can't really go wrong with a P-Bass coupled with Japanese build quality.

I agree with previous posts though - it's all down to personal preference and what bass you like the 'feel' of best. The best bass I have ever played is my Sandberg. Played one in Guitar Guitar and it felt completely right for me (a little bit out of your price range at the moment though). I suggest you lurk around music stores and play as many basses as you can until you decide what works for you and then pop back on here to find one second hand.

All the best mate and good luck finding your new bass!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1319271258' post='1411993']
Ibanez soundgear sr300
[/quote]

I got one of them, and if you want new for 300 notes they're very good. I was listening to a recording of our last gig (recorded on an iPhone I think) and it sounded blooming lovely. :)

I'd try the Yamaha RBX374 as well, which is about the same price. Squiers of course.

Just try a load, new and second hand, and take your time.

+1 for try as much as you can to find out what you like. Some basses are extremely heavy, some are extremely lightweight, some have fat necks, some have skinny necks - not everyone can get on with all types.

In broader terms, if you pay £300 for a secondhand bass you will get something that is good enough for absolutely any situation. Some makes/models are unpopular at the moment so if you aren't a concerned what is written on the headstock you can get fantastic bargains - SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses go for next to nothing and are superb quality. I recently bought a mid 80s Yamaha RBX800A for £150 and it is just as good. I paid a lot more for a Fender Precision Lyte and it is no better, frankly. Westone Thunder basses, in their various guises, represent incredibly good value for money - £300 would probably get you a Thunder IIIA, which would give most £800 basses a run for their money. Somewhere in the for sale section there is a MIJ Fender Precision for £225 - but scruffy but an absolute bargain IMO. Lots of deals to be had - a buyers market at the moment but it helps if you know what you want.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1319295345' post='1412401']
I think the OP took the plunge on that Washburn/status last night.......
[/quote]

I did indeed, my bass tutor said it was a good buy and he has owned one so I am hoping it will see me through for a while and will start saving for the next step which i am hoping will be a bigger budget of 500+
Thanks for all the advice :)

i can do better than £300 ... squier affinity J - i just picked one up this afternoon from my local music emporium (Sound & Image in Chatham :) ) for 149 (Used) but apparently you can get them for 200-220 ish new - quite frankly im chuffed to pieces it luvverly :) and spend the £100 you would have saved towards a hartke and you cant really go wrong

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1319303230' post='1412545']i can do better than £300 ... squier affinity J - i just picked one up this afternoon from my local music emporium (Sound & Image in Chatham :) ) for 149 (Used) but apparently you can get them for 200-220 ish new - quite frankly im chuffed to pieces it luvverly :) and spend the £100 you would have saved towards a hartke and you cant really go wrong[/quote]

The bass he bought in the end was £200.