Why become a member? ×

Band Van!

mike257

I haven't got a custom bass to write about, but there's one bit of band gear I'm getting very hands on with!

I bought myself a big van back in January, which I'd started to fit out for band use - unfortunately the engine was a duffer, and I ended up writing it off and buying a van off the garage that do all my maintenance. It's an ex-Jarvis (British Rail workies) site van that they were using as a mobile workshop, so needed some 'alterations' to bring it up to the touring spec I wanted!

Here's a few snaps of how the van looked when I picked it up....

[attachment=91149:vanNS.jpg]

[attachment=91148:VanOS.jpg]

[attachment=91150:crew-area.jpg]

[attachment=91151:vanback.jpg]

In a past life, it functioned as the mobile site office for railway workies, the front half had a desk for the gaffer to sit at, and the back section was two toilet cubicles! The garage had ripped out one cubicle and fitted a small workbench, but you can still see a fully fitted loo and sink on the left hand one! There's a full hot water system with massive tanks plumbed in, and all kinds of gubbins attached to it!

After some long hours of stripping all this out, including lots of swearing, stuck screws that haven't moved in ten years, and use of extreme force, power tools and big hammers, I managed to remove the toilet, plumbing, sink and all the unneccesary bits, and relay the floor panels for what will become the 'luxurious' seating area, it was time to get started on making it look good....

[attachment=91153:layingcarpet.jpg]

[attachment=91154:insulating.jpg]

[attachment=91155:walls.jpg]

[attachment=91156:carpetdone.jpg]

Trying to glue carpet smoothly up a vertical wall is a royal pain in the arse!! Stuffed all the cavities with 'Space Blanket' loft insulation to keep us warm on road trips, and moved some wiring in preperation for the funky electrical system that is going in soon.

With all that done, it was back to the garage for the most important bit - getting the back seats fitted! They're now in, on removable tracking so I can pop them out again, and to a very high standard too, with massive spreader plates under the chassis to take the load - they aren't coming out in a hurry!

[attachment=91157:seatsin.jpg]

Van is looking great, and took the kids to see Blackpool Illuminations (not so great!) to give it a test run. I'm now a billy no-mates in the front as everybody wants to sit in the new bit.

As soon as I've got a weekend free, it's on to the next job - I've got a second battery and a split charge system that's going to power the internal lighting, the external spotlights over the load door, and the entertainment system.

For now, there'll be an improved sound system going in the back, and when I've saved up a bit there'll be flat screen telly with DVD player going in.

I might even re-fit the old water boiler that I've stripped from it so we can have a brew on the road!

Oh - and if you want to hire me out for gigging, go here: [url="http://facebook.com/boomtransport"]facebook.com/boomtransport[/url]

Mike

Edited by mike257

Cheers guys! I think the family might have preferred me to keep the toilet in and build a full blown camper van, but there's plenty of space for a tent in the back when we do wanna go camping :)

Been planning the layout for the electrics, it keeps changing, but I think I can squeeze it all in under the back seats and box it away nicely, hopefully making a start tomorrow. Also been scouting for TV brackets, got a 20ish inch LCD I was given with no power supply, and no idea if it works, but it runs on 12v so if it's any good I can hack it in there one way or another!!

I've been reading up on making an Xbox 360 run off a direct 12v feed too, means popping it open and going at it with a soldering iron, but if I can find a cheap one off ebay then why not - not putting my own one in there though :)

Good afternoon, Mike...

It's easy enough to get 240v from a small 12/240 converter; enough juice for a game console or any light mains-powered gadgets ('phone chargers..?)
Makes my recent acquisition look pretty tame (our 'world tour' goes no further than Domfront, anyway..!)
Congratulations on your hard work.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1318414493' post='1401729']
should have kept the bog in there :) Good work though very jealous
[/quote]
Just what I was thinking, would have been a most useful optional extra & quite rare amongst gigmobiles :) :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318844348' post='1406661']
Just what I was thinking, would have been a most useful optional extra & quite rare amongst gigmobiles :) :)
[/quote]

With what my singer unleashes before every gig, i'd be much happier for the toilet not to be in the van that i have to sit in...

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1318856192' post='1406906']

No, but i have to put up with the stench. Its normally around a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the Sh*tter Scale....

Liam
[/quote]

Bill Bryson, as a kid, asked his teacher permission to visit the toilet.

Teacher: -Is it a Number One or a Number Two?
Bryson, Jr: -[thinks hard] Well miss, I haven't been for a couple of days so I think it may be as much as a Number Seven.

I admire your dedication. Bad memories over Band Wagons. I Was in a nine piece Band in Oxford years ago and the Band leader said one night I want to pool some money and get a Van so we can all go to Gigs together. We went over to look at the Van owned by the 'Education' A respected local Band. It was a converted Ambulance with Aircraft seats already done out, so we were won over. Then his next project was a new PA, A huge stack plus stage risers for the Horns.
We never did get in the van.

A long long time ago I had a Green version of this with a mattress or 3 in the back[url="http://www.scltd.net/www/bkmotors/applications/filelib/Ford%20Thames%20400E.pdf"]http://www.scltd.net/www/bkmotors/applications/filelib/Ford%20Thames%20400E.pdf[/url]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318872247' post='1407243']
A long long time ago I had a Green version of this with a mattress or 3 in the back[url="http://www.scltd.net/www/bkmotors/applications/filelib/Ford%20Thames%20400E.pdf"]http://www.scltd.net...ames%20400E.pdf[/url]
[/quote]
Instant nostalgia..! My first van, too (yes, green...). Too many anecdotes to relate here, you'll have to wait impatiently the publication of my memoires (at least two volumes on 'bandwagon' stories...)!
Mine was 'tackier' than the one in the photo, though. Can't complain; it was free, as long as I took it away...

It is more fun together in a van, on reflection at least. Here's one that still brings a smile
Once ended up in Woburn Safari park in a pea souper of a Fog on the way back from St Neots to Oxford probably 1978. Just heard what sounded like a cattle grid then another then a sign at a gate saying beware wild animals. And no bugger would get out see were we were in fear of being eaten.
How many of you have travelled in the back of Luton bodied vans with no sense of where you are, with just the constant flash of yellow street lamps going passed through the translucent fibre glass roof.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1318686182' post='1405209']
Good afternoon, Mike...

It's easy enough to get 240v from a small 12/240 converter; enough juice for a game console or any light mains-powered gadgets ('phone chargers..?)
Makes my recent acquisition look pretty tame (our 'world tour' goes no further than Domfront, anyway..!)
Congratulations on your hard work.
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm chuffed with how it's looking so far, lots more planned though. I've had a look at the invertors for 240v power and one is definitely on the shopping list to put some sockets in for chargers etc, but I'm trying to power as much as possible from 12v directly. It's supposed to be a lot more energy efficient than converting the 12v into 240v, and then having the Xbox/TV power supplies convert that 240v back into 12 again. Will take a bit of fiddling with a soldering iron on the xbox, but nothing harder than rewiring a bass!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318872247' post='1407243']
A long long time ago I had a Green version of this with a mattress or 3 in the back[url="http://www.scltd.net/www/bkmotors/applications/filelib/Ford%20Thames%20400E.pdf"]http://www.scltd.net...ames%20400E.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Now THAT is a cool looking van!

I'm definitely leaning towards sticking an Xbox in there, thinking of getting a cheap USB hard drive to attach to it and ramming it full of music and movies - jukebox on wheels! We're planning on driving to France next year for a holiday with the kids, so it'll be a lifesaver :)

Way back when in the 80s I had a good mate who played guitar in a south london band. He was the only one working and generally ended up financing any purchase for the "good of the band". They sumhow got him to sell his lovely MG roadster and replace with a transit. Not only that, he was the only one with a driving licence. Poor fella had to work a shift printing in fleet street then drive them all over london for gigs (including picking them all up including the drummer! It didnt end well!

Hey Mike, nice Van!
Regarding the inverter, you`ll need a fairly hefty one if you`re going to run a couple of laptops and some phone chargers and it is as you`ve heard, wasteful to convert 12v to 240v only to have someone use a wall wart charger to drop it back to 12v again :)
There are lots of 12v power supplied for netbooks and phones etc, encourage those using your van to buy one for their kit!
I have one for my Netbook,cameras and phone.
There are cheap triple outlet 12v+usb boxes on the net that you could stick on either side of the van, and the usb is dead handy for phones and ipods etc.
I`d still fit an inverter, but use it only when you have to, to keep the load down.
Btw what split charge system are you fitting? is it the 30amp smartcom? What Ah is your leisure batt?
Soz for all the questions, but I built my own campervan and so got interested in all this sort of stuff.
Regards,
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319027694' post='1409020']
Hey Mike, nice Van!
Regarding the inverter, you`ll need a fairly hefty one if you`re going to run a couple of laptops and some phone chargers and it is as you`ve heard, wasteful to convert 12v to 240v only to have someone use a wall wart charger to drop it back to 12v again :)
There are lots of 12v power supplied for netbooks and phones etc, encourage those using your van to buy one for their kit!
I have one for my Netbook,cameras and phone.
There are cheap triple outlet 12v+usb boxes on the net that you could stick on either side of the van, and the usb is dead handy for phones and ipods etc.
I`d still fit an inverter, but use it only when you have to, to keep the load down.
Btw what split charge system are you fitting? is it the 30amp smartcom? What Ah is your leisure batt?
Soz for all the questions, but I built my own campervan and so got interested in all this sort of stuff.
Regards,
MM
[/quote]

Hi MM - thanks for all the good info!

I'm going to do my best to keep 240v stuff to a minimum - 12v USB hookups sound great, I've been looking for something like that to mount in the wall panels. The split charge is an old Xantrex Pathmaker 200 - it was part of the vans original fixtures from its past life, and has a magic button to use both batteries to start the engine if your starter one packs in. I've kept all the useful parts from the electrical system so I've got the fuseboard, a mains battery charger and an RCD for my 240v hookup, and a bunch of other bits and bobs.

The battery that was fitted appears to be a standard starter battery - it had been in a bank of two, but someone had long lifted the second one. I've been given a whopping big coach battery from my bus-driving stepdad that I'm looking at using, not sure on the Ah off the top of my head, it's in the shed at home. I'm trying to leave space to hook up two or three standard size batteries in the enclosure I'm building, so I can replace it all with 'proper' deep cycle ones when cash flow allows it.

Also decided I'm using wired controllers when I put the xbox in - they can come out from under each seat and then no scruffy guitarist can get off with one in his back pocket! Been sketching out how it can all connect into a coherent audio system, between the front CD player, the front/rear iPod hookups, and the xbox - lots of switching!