Why become a member? ×

Which to visit? Bass Merchant or Bass Direct?

charic

I'm looking at hooking up my TC RH450 to 2 cab solution now.

Basically adding either a RS210 or RS212 (unless something amazing pops up I hadn't thought of).

Both places are the same price, similar distance and also have a good stock of Amps and Basses. The main thing for me is being able to turn up LOUD and see how they differ :)

I've bought an RH450 + 2 x RS210's from Darren at Bass Merchant, also my old GK rig with both RBH & Neo cabs, never had an issue turning up the volume, even plugged me into a blacksmith so I could AB the 750 against it at volumes that Thor god of thunder would be proud of, knowing that I wasn't gonna buy one in a thousand years. It's a great showroom with some beautiful basses hanging around the place and Darren is more than happy to let you play with his toys.

Bass Direct without a doubt for me. I managed to spend 6 hours there a few months ago, it felt like about 2 ! Mark is endlessly helpful and accommodating - I can't see a reason to go anywhere else. Alas I can only give plus points for Bass Direct, i've no experience of Bass Merchant :).

Every time I've had correspondence with Mark from Bass Direct he's come across as polite and that he cares. When we met him at the London BGS earlier this year, despite being haranged by loads of people with mundane questions, he was civil and courteous. I'm on the mailing list for Bass Direct and he will always answer questions and has even offered to sell things for me through the commission scheme..

Wish everywhere I shopped was equally this customer focussed..

Edited by TheGreek

I'm sure both retailers are great, but man alive, they both have terrible websites.

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.bassdirect.co.uk/"]http://www.bassdirect.co.uk/[/url]

On the basis of their sites, I'd go with Bass Direct, as they clearly list what they've got in stock. Bass Merchant seem to list every product from the suppliers they carry, without indication of what they may or may not have stock of.

I've bought and visited both of them.
They are both located on Industrial Estates so volume is not really an issue. BM is a slightly larger area if that makes any difference.
Both offer excellent service and are very welcoming.
The only difference I can think of is that BD has a wider range of less well known bass guitar manufacturers whilst BM has the more well known brands covered. If you're going to check out TC then it doesn't matter but none of us can resist a little look at what's on the wall can we?
FP

Bass Direct for me. Went in to buy a strap and have a look around one day and got chatting with Mark. Mentioned I was thinking about buying a 5 string but wouldn't be for ages and he insisted I tried loads of different ones he had in stock. Even though I wasn't buying anything other than a strap that day Mark really made me feel welcomed and was great to chat with.

+1 Bass Direct

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1317744277' post='1394035']
Not been to Bass Direct but Bass Merchant were exceptionally helpful when I was choosing a new amp. Nothing was too much trouble. Easy to get to, loads of parking, no issues with volume.
[/quote]
Theres a nice cafe (weekdays) almost next door to the bass merchant. The BM do have lots in stock. I've never been to Bass Direct, I must admit

I imagine they can both have their advantages, id go for the closest or the easiest to deal with. Im sure you can haggle the prices a little.

I've actually had exceptional service from GAK recently. I think they must have upped their game since I dealt with them 2 years ago. Very polite, very fast, and got everything I wanted new, not from the shop floor. Not only that, hefty discounts.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1317740325' post='1393959']
see which one has the sexiest stuff IN STOCK that you can play on..as opposed to advertising it as such but ...................
[/quote]

This was my gripe with BM. A trip to see something that wasn't in stock, then told they could get it if I was happy to put down a deposit (which I'd lose if I didn't take the bass).

• 3 weeks later...

I've not visited or bought anything from Bass Merchant so cannot comment on them. However, I've had many dealings with Mark at Bass Direct both in person and via t'internet and phone and he is always very helpful, straightforward, and interested. His customer service is first rate. When I had a problem he went out of his way to sort things for me. If you haven't been to the shop it is well worth a trip. I cannot recommend him highly enough.