Why become a member? ×

I want this played at my funeral!

mentalextra

Bit morbid, this thread? Still, if I had the choice it would be Led Zep - Stairway to Heaven :) all eight minutes of it please :) just played on an acoustic guitar + recorder :o. Might just be a laff to have the Rolf Harris version :)

Maybe something classical as well - my gran had Vaughan-Williams' Lark Ascending at her funeral, very sweet, mellow piece.

Then to round it off, something a little bit more in the contemporary Christian genre.

However, if I was looking to have the last laugh, then Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, followed by Smoke Gets In Your Eyes / Smoke on the Water (if being cremated :o)

HTH,
Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1317131234' post='1387114']
Bit morbid, this thread? Still, if I had the choice it would be Led Zep - Stairway to Heaven :) all eight minutes of it please :) ....[/quote]
The problem with requesting stuff that's so iconic and so often heard is that the resultant connotations thereafter are not always considered.
My step dad had Freebird played at his and for years afterwards the songs meaning had changed for me so drastically that I actually felt sad every time I heard what had hitherto been a favourite "rocking out" song.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1317207184' post='1388006']
The problem with requesting stuff that's so iconic and so often heard is that the resultant connotations thereafter are not always considered.
My step dad had Freebird played at his and for years afterwards the songs meaning had changed for me so drastically that I actually felt sad every time I heard what had hitherto been a favourite "rocking out" song.
[/quote]

My Mum had 'Thank you for the music' by Abba at her funeral. She'd always said she wanted that, long before she got ill. (She was an ex dancer, choreographer and general theatre luvvie)
It still makes me sad when I hear it, but in a good way really. 'I've been so lucky, I am the girl with golden hair...' gets me every time.

[quote name='NickH' timestamp='1317300626' post='1389226']
Props to Ou7shined for the Serenity soundtrack reference! Browncoats forever /salute

I'd have to go with "We All Die Young" from the Rock Star soundtrack
[/quote]
Cheers. *salute* :)
It is a great wee track. I like the sense of optimism it leaves you with at the end.

One other thing. I mentioned this a while ago to my Mrs.. When I get my songs played, I want them played on [b]my[/b] hi-fi. The ones in the places where they have these ceremonies are rubbish. She rolled her eyes... but capitulated. :)