Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1372268' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:31 PM']What do these people base their opinions on? A couple of YouTube vids? Something they heard in the pub?[/quote]

Probably. Or a general dislike of slap. Or toppy bass tones. Or someone who can play better than them...

Whilst Id never make a comment like that, and am in awe of what he can do, it would have to be on my doorstep for me to be interested in seeing him live as a frontman, but only because I enjoy a different sort of band experience more, and am set in my ways, Im sure Id love it, were it on my doorstep though

Btw, if your 40+ and work hard, you've earned the right to be grumpy, enjoy it

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1372268' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:31 PM']Quotes like this really piss me off.

"£27 to watch Marcus Miller going slap slap slap slap slap ?
No ta.......... "

What do these people base their opinions on? A couple of YouTube vids? Something they heard in the pub?[/quote]

Its a flippant comment, but with a degree of truth. Marcus does far slap more than your average bloke; it is something he's known for. He often thumbs lines that others might play fingerstyle. But regardless, slapping or no, I think you've got to understand that some people (me included) simply are not fans. I might love Matt Garrison, Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, Lemmy or Leigh Gorman but I certainly understand that they won't float everyone's boat. FWIW after buying a live Marcus dvd that I really didn't like at all (I expected to be blown away, so I certainly wasn't anti from the start) I spent some time listening to stuff he was on to see if that was it. His playing/sound still doesn't excite me in any way, shape or form (his music generally even less), and yes I've tried, but if I were you I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I doubt you're a big Joey DeMaio fan either. :) Take a deep breath and some painkillers and count to ten...

Pete, you don't get it do you. No matter how talented, charismatic or generally a nice guy a musician is, there are going to be more people who don't like them or their music than those who do.

I'm sure MM doesn't really care. So why do you?

Edited for clarity and spelling.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1372268' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:31 PM']Quotes like this really piss me off.

No ta.......... "

What do these people base their opinions on? A couple of YouTube vids? Something they heard in the pub?[/quote]

Great, where's he playing?

No ta.......... "

I'm not a huge Marcus Miller fan but even I'd pay £27 to see him play.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1372433' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:58 PM']I'm not a huge Marcus Miller fan but even I'd pay £27 to see him play.[/quote]
If I'd bought a £20 ticket already (I have for the last 3 or 4 years) I would of let you send Stevie the extra £7 and sold it on to you :)
If you have seen Bona play for £20, plus an awesome line up of others, plus a great trade show and great facilitys then the £27 does not look so good from here :)

This is a serious post not a piss take, I would rather of seen a selection of Stevie's local talent that he manages to muster up each year plus the original show as it was for say £16 with no big names rather than move it and raise the price for one artist. Stevie's own opening act is [u]always[/u] great too.

For me personally I would of paid £40 if Flea was going to be there but unlike many others I appreciate that removing the rest of the show and raising the price just for him would be money down the drain for more people than it would please.

No ta.......... "

Opinions, are( like a**holes), Prehaps, drawn on more information than you assume they are, and not just what the "bloke down the pub says".

not everyone likes the same stuff you do.

some Players, who opinions you dont agree with, could be formed on things, that,even you/we (experienced working Musos) dont "get" and maybe (just maybe) you're being that jaded opinioneted "Bloke down the Pub"

....and at least an opinion about a youtube vid means a Bass player, somewhere may have seen sommat to draw an opinion on, and, make his own mind upon. dont approach problem/debate with an open mouth. :)

(even if its an old "Slappy" thing about MM that he dosent dont like, just saying)
£27 is a bit much for Marcus Miller,on his own, though it isnt for the whole day.

There are opinions out there, that are based on more than what you have assumed as just ignorance.(apparrently) thats what Pis*es me off

Gone on a bit

(I like Marcus Miller BTW oops!)
apology for beig curmodgendly old git later on in this thread.

Edited by witterth

For me the best test is to bring my wife to the gig.
She doesn't care at all about bass guitar and does not know who's playing.
Feedback from my wife:
Marcus Miller -> brilliant , cool, funky & stylish
Jimmy Haslip -> complicated, not my cup of tea
Stanley Clarke (double bass) -> too classic, wouldn't go back
Victor Wooten (with Bela Fleck) -> boring
Richard Bona -> magic !

It's about the music in the end. Stop being bass players when you go to the gig. Enjoy the music (whether it is over-slapped or not) and gather feedback from people who are not bass supremacists.
Same apply to your gigs.

Ciao!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1372513' date='Sep 13 2011, 09:00 PM']Sorry folks...had a bad day. Apologies for the thread.[/quote]
Naa, no apologies needed Peter. thats allowed, we all have them, I think my reply was motivated by the very same thing! :) pint of chill and thought about it, so, sorry too!
W

[quote name='witterth' post='1372481' date='Sep 13 2011, 08:30 PM']£27 is a bit much for Marcus Miller,on his own, though it isnt for the whole day.[/quote]

If you check the Bass Day website, there are 4 other performance slots scheduled on stage. Bernhard Lackner is one and the rest will be confirmed over the next few weeks, so it isn't a single MM performance.
I totally agree that moving it from RNCM is a retrograde step but it always worked at Life Cafe, so no reason why it shouldn't this year.
I was talking to Stevie about it last week at his gig in Stockport and there may be some interesting surprises in store.

This'll cheer you up, Pete - all taken from a local musician's forum:

Subject: Nearly Dan

[i]'Saw these at the sage last night, close your eyes and you would have thought it was Steely Dan. It's the 3rd time i've saw these and they just get better and better.'

'They were awesome, not enjoyed a gig so much as that for a long while. Brill musicians and great atmosphere !!'

'Loved every minute of it...........'

'Good night out. If your a fan go and see them. Superb. had a bit crack on with the singer at the bar and he was spot on.'[/i]

Now cheer up, you miserable get.
:)

No ta.......... "

+1000

CBA to read whole thread

B

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1372607' date='Sep 13 2011, 10:03 PM']This'll cheer you up, Pete - all taken from a local musician's forum:

Subject: Nearly Dan

[i]'Saw these at the sage last night, close your eyes and you would have thought it was Steely Dan. It's the 3rd time i've saw these and they just get better and better.'

'They were awesome, not enjoyed a gig so much as that for a long while. Brill musicians and great atmosphere !!'

'Loved every minute of it...........'

'Good night out. If your a fan go and see them. Superb. had a bit crack on with the singer at the bar and he was spot on.'[/i]

Now cheer up, you miserable get.
:)[/quote]

Thanks for that, mate. Note to self...don't post when you've got a bad back.