Why become a member? ×

I'm I getting to old, can't be bothered

lojo

To do a gig in central London,

I live outside London and whilst I used to live , work and gig there im now not keen to venture in again just for bar gig

The band in question I play regularly with, but only because they have had trouble getting a permanent bassist, don't want to let them down, but I really don't feel like doing this

I did play in London last year with another band, but that was well paid and had lots of reasons to do so

Am I being to fussy?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1361499' date='Sep 4 2011, 07:36 AM']but I really don't feel like doing this[/quote]

Don't do it then mate. You could always approach it with the attitude of your mind being changed during/after or so, but in my experience most times like this that doesn't happen.

I got approached around Xmas time by an old mate who was looking for a bassist to complete an original material line up. I turned it down & now they aren't doing too badly: gigs all the time, decent venues. Another mate asked if I regretted it & TBH no I don't, as I really wasn't a fan of the material I was shown then & I still am not a fan now!

If it was just a case of you hesitating then do it. If you "really don't feel like doing this" then don't.

And if your drummer says, "I don't want to play East of London".
Your guitarist says, "I don't want to play South of London". etc etc

You see what I'm trying to say here? You're part of a unit - this means occasionally you'll be required to do things, that perhaps, you'd rather not.
To say, "I'm not doing the gig, 'cause I don't want to" is a bit lame.

I've never had fun playing in London. Played on two Thames side boats, murder getting the gear on board, took us over an hour each way, no fun when the tides out. Also played in a hotel in Marble Arch with one small goods lift. We played on the 5th floor. Nowhere to park the van either...stressssssssss

[quote name='SteveK' post='1361574' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:14 AM']And if your drummer says, "I don't want to play East of London".
Your guitarist says, "I don't want to play South of London". etc etc

You see what I'm trying to say here? You're part of a unit - this means occasionally you'll be required to do things, that perhaps, you'd rather not.
To say, "I'm not doing the gig, 'cause I don't want to" is a bit lame.[/quote]

IF lojo were a member of said band, that'd be reasonable. I've done many gigs I didn't want to do and played like I normally do- for the sake of the band.
It comes across as lojo not being a permanent member of this outfit, so I guess he's not under the same obligation.
Perhaps finding them a dep is a sensible halfway house?

If you're playing a good venue then go for it. I played the spice of life in soho last month and it was great. Can load and unload right next to the musician's entrance, a locked room for your gear to be stored in, a decent sound and a nice set of punters and staff too...oh and the toilets were nicer than most people have in their homes. :)

Think it depends on for one, is it a paid gig, and for two, what night is it.

Have played the London circuit on Tuesday evenings, when hardly anyone is in the audience, and as you`re packing up, the venue give you £7 - between you - for your efforts. This after having had to be at the venue for a 6pm soundcheck, which means leaving work early.

Got to agree with the OP, a lot of hassle, and for little reward.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1361581' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:23 AM']It comes across as lojo not being a permanent member of this outfit,[/quote]OK, if that is the case, and he's just doing them a favour by filling in , then, it's his decision and has every right to say "I ain't doing it".

I'm not a member of said band since leaving over a year ago (with reasonable notice, mutual agreement, and without letting them down) since then they've been through a few Bass players but found no one they've got on with, I keep doing gigs to help them out, they are friends

Edited by lojo

If you're a pro musician in a pro band then you should play anywhere (within reason).

If it's an amateur band doing it for personal enjoyment then I'd say it was reasonable not to do it. Personal choice.

Best to talk it over with bandmates and let them know your feelings, of course, but ultimately, why be forced in to doing something you won't enjoy?

Living and working in the centre of London im always moaning that we have to travel out of the capital to play most of our gigs, an dit would be great to play one where i can walk or just get a tube to it.

Saying that, on the odd occasions that we have had inner London gigs they have been a right pain to get to, load in (especially), park etc so i dont blame anyone for not relishing playing in London, but i would never turn a paying gig down just because its more hassle (as much as i would like to sometimes)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1362672' date='Sep 5 2011, 10:43 AM']Living and working in the centre of London im always moaning that we have to travel out of the capital to play most of our gigs, an dit would be great to play one where i can walk or just get a tube to it.

Saying that, on the odd occasions that we have had inner London gigs they have been a right pain to get to, load in (especially), park etc so i dont blame anyone for not relishing playing in London, but i would never turn a paying gig down just because its more hassle (as much as i would like to sometimes)[/quote]

Well there's the solution...

Swap gigs with the OP asnd you'll both be happy :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1362678' date='Sep 5 2011, 10:53 AM']Well there's the solution...

Swap gigs with the OP asnd you'll both be happy :)[/quote]

yeah, that could work but london is a big place.

Shame im already in a band or i would be happy to give it a go.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1362678' date='Sep 5 2011, 10:53 AM']Well there's the solution...

Swap gigs with the OP and you'll both be happy :)[/quote]

Yeah, i've never dep'ed a dep gig out before, could start a chain

BTW , Bilbo, you lost your jacket