Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street

ednaplate

After promising myself a visit for twenty plus years I eventually made it down there this afternoon. While my wife and whining seven year old patiently waited for me at one end of the street I meandered down up one end and back down the other.

What a dump!

Most of the stores resembled little more than guitar bric a brac shops. My disappointment was overwhelming. I noticed the Bass Cellar had gone out of business (or relocated? I dunno). This is a place clearly existing on it's reputation alone as there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that would ever draw me there again. Of the stores I went into, none of the staff impressed me in the slightest. One store, Wunjos, had staff that were clearly sharing a joke among themselves and were openly effing and blinding to each other. They just came across as gobby gobsh*tes who needed a good wash.

Further up the road was Macari's. I strolled in and was immediately accosted by who I assume was the manager (middle aged, balding, round rimmed glasses). When I said I was just looking I got a stare of contempt from him. As I continued to browse a lad in his early 20s asked if he could try a telecaster on display. The conversation went thus;
'can I try out the tele?'

'are you in a position to buy it today?'

'I'd just like to play it first.'

'well unless you're going to buy it, I'd rather you didn't as we're very busy today'

At this point we both looked around an otherwise deserted shop... No it certainly wasn't busy at his point.

'if you come back later in the week you might be able to try it. Thank you, goodbye'

I muttered to the lad loud enough for the 'manager' to hear 'he's got an excellent sales technique' to which the lad replied 'yeah, he obviously thinks I'm some young scumbag'.

Meanwhile the assistant behind the counter (30ish, rockerbilly haircut) continued smirking throughout.

'Well that's two grand I'm keeping in my arse pocket'. At that point I followed the lad out of the shop leaving the staff to congratulate each other on their business acumen.

It really is no surprise that many prefer to shop on the Internet. There are far better shops outside of London and I know for one that I'll never return there. Didn't even bother going into Hanks. Send in the bulldozers.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1361380' date='Sep 3 2011, 10:27 PM']I don't know which is more depressing ... your experience today, or my complete lack of surprise at it.[/quote]

I've read so much on this forum that I think I knew what was in store for me. It's something ticked off my list of things to do. What's really depressing is that these places are throwing away the opportunity to be something great. The whole place was tatty and dirty. No real effort has been made to entice you in to spend your hard earned money. There is also a level of belligerence among the staff in these places. They probably think they're cool. To me they came across as a dickheads and I had no desire to spend any time in their company.

Ah, Gone are the days when Steve Jones and Paul Cook lived there, at the back of one of the shops, and used to regularly steal guitars out of the window displays in the daytime and milk off the doorsteps in the early morning. :)

Scene: [u]a Typical Denmark Street [i]music shoppe [/i]circa 1976
[/u]
Characters:
Steve Jones. A SeX pIsT0L
Manager: A tit.

[i]Steve Jones[/i]: Can i steal a guitar please ?
[i]Manager[/i]: Are you position to steal today, or are you just going to look shifty then bottle it?
[i]Steve Jones[/i]: Neither mate, I'm, Im just keeping you talking at the counter while Paul filches one from the window display.
[i]Manager[/i]: Well thats alright then, as long as you promise to take one with you right now. Were very busy today, I have already missed belittling a non suite wearing customer behind his back, then sniggering with my young be-quiffed asistant ([i]thinks: whom I fantisize about thrashing me, with a vintage 1950s leather guitar strap every night[/i].)
[i]Steve Jones[/i]: See ya, Ill be shredding it & spilling lager on it all night to make it look used then I'll sending Glen Matlock in tomorrow to sell it ya back.
Manager: I wish they were all like you Mr Jones.
[i]Steve Jones[/i]: f*** off ponce.
[i]Manager[/i]: Touché Sir.

exeunt

Edited by daz

I gave the bass cellar business with a pair of strings that were urgently needed the other month, begrudgingly though I must say. I'm no expert, but I do dislike being treated like I'm an idiot who doesn't know what size strings his bass needs.

What's wrong with the bass centre might I ask? Never bought from them but they sure were friendly (and a decent price) for an 'official Warwick repairer'

There was a recent thread about shop vs online, and from some of the posts on there it would appear that this level of customer service is not limited to Denmark Street i'm afraid. It seems like there are 2 questions you get asked when you apply for a job in a music store:
Are you completely clueless about all kinds of musical instruments?
Are you a total asshole with an uncanny ability to knob people off with your arrogance within 30 seconds of meeting them?
If you're answer is yes to one of these questions then you can start tomorrow, if you answer yes to both then you can start today, you're management material!!

Sounds like a wasted trip - sorry to hear that

I did speak to a friend this week who works nearby and said he'd been trying out telecasters during his lunchbreak and hadn't found to right one yet, so perhaps there is one shop at least that's ok with playing them , not sure which one though

Sorry to hear that after all that time it was a "shovel in the face"! :lol:

If you had been there 30 to 35 years ago, it was a different place entirely.

This was before mobile phones, faxes and t'internet.

I know this is drifting off slightly but when I went to see one of the Harry Potter films,
"Diagonally" - where all the bricks turn round and you entered a bustling street scene,
reminded me of Denmark St. in the late 70's.

It's where you could see a lot of gear, all in one place and each different shop had it's
own quirks.
Great times! :)

Saddly, things have changed a LOT and the last couple of times I have been down, during
the last 5 years, have been such a disappointment, I have vowed not to bother again!

At the rate they are going, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't there at all, in a few years to come.

Cheers, :)

You can see the lack of 'attention to detail' even in a [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-Fender-Precision-Bass-Candy-Apple-Red-Original-/270811228749?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0d9b6a4d"]ebay ad[/url]
How do they expect to sell - when they can't even put up a photo' or 2!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1361482' date='Sep 4 2011, 02:14 AM']What's wrong with the bass centre might I ask? Never bought from them but they sure were friendly (and a decent price) for an 'official Warwick repairer'[/quote]

Nothing wrong as such, just that they are no longer a physical shop, now just a virtual one! I miss the days of travelling to Wapping to spend ages looking around the incredible stock they used to have in the Golden Era of Bass!

I'd agree with all of the above
coming from "oop North Lad"
I had this preconception that it was some muso nirvana....I was dissapointed too.
though no-one was rude to me and I tried out a jazz without any pressure in one shop (cant remember which, though the salesman was nice and polite-maybe grey hair helps)
the whole thing was tired and unloved. damn you, Bill Gates!
wish Id gone there back in the day...what? '78 to '84?
the bass place in wapping was still good in 2000, great place back then
RIP..shopping

OK.... :) time for a sticky thread, ''Denmark St, Music Ground and similar shops, You don't need to visit these places, They have nothing for the normal individual''.

By all means visit them if you have a cheeky nature and a retort the speed of Chubby Brown, wind them up and post your experiences here of how you get on, but if not there are hundreds of threads on how they treat people who stumble in unawares.

I remember going to Denmark street about 8 or 9 years ago, back when I first started playing bass, and being amazed at all the nice stuff on the walls :) I found quite a few of the shops back then had very friendly people in, who let me (12 years old at the time), try out gibson tbirds and USA fenders.

However, I went back last year, and I was so disappointed, all the nice looking shops I remembered had gone, and there were absolutely no friendly or helpful staff at all. It took me 15 minutes to convice one guy to let me try out a Sansamp BDDI, because, in his own words, "it's on the other side of the [tiny] shop, and in a box." Eventually he let me try it after I said I was likely to buy it. I tried it out for 15 minutes, and then left, as I refuse to buy from somewhere who don't even say hi when you come in, let alone tell about what you are interested in buying.

I doubt I will ever be going back there, which is a shame, because my first visit was brilliant.

[quote name='SS73' post='1361590' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:26 AM']OK.... :) time for a sticky thread, ''Denmark St, Music Ground and similar shops, You don't need to visit these places, They have nothing for the normal individual''.

By all means visit them if you have a cheeky nature and a retort the speed of Chubby Brown, wind them up and post your experiences here of how you get on, but if not there are hundreds of threads on how they treat people who stumble in unawares.[/quote]
yes, good point, and taken. but its a chat place its what we enjoy doing, sad as it may seem to you :)

Had a trip to London a few weeks ago & had a very similar experience in Denmark Street. Loads of staff looking down their noses at potential customers & vast numbers of tatty overpriced instruments. It's a real shame as it used to be a real treat to go & check out gear that you just couldn't get your hands on up North.

Mind you, I also went to the Gallery - the guy in the shop was extremely frosty to say the least & I didn't ask to try anything more expensive than a Squier! Is it a London thing? The shops up in Newcastle may be small, but have friendly staff that are really helpful...

Cheers,

B.

If you are in manchester check out (our own) Andy Travis in Dawsons top geezer who will see you right ( but ask for him first) He goes the long route to help out a bass player ( and can play a bit too!!)
the other one up north is PMT in salford (sorry to name check the competion Andy) but nothing but the best in sevice advice and help there too. I'd be willing to bet the rest of the stores are the same... but that is a guess.

[quote name='witterth' post='1361753' date='Sep 4 2011, 01:36 PM']If you are in manchester check out (our own) Andy Travis in Dawsons top geezer who will see you right ( but ask for him first) He goes the long route to help out a bass player ( and can play a bit too!!)
the other one up north is PMT in salford (sorry to name check the competion Andy) but nothing but the best in sevice advice and help there too. I'd be willing to bet the rest of the stores are the same... but that is a guess.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Not forgetting the long established small family firm known as" Johnny Roadhouse Music" whose emporium of delights is on Oxford road Manchester.
ask for Danny :)

I've been to Denmark St. numerous times being a londoner and all. I've found the best way of dealing with staff animosity is to just ignore it and bluster through it. If they put you on the spot about a purchase, say you're fully intending to buy and just lie to them, then make up something you don't like about the product after you've tried it. "Oh the neck is a lot thicker than I was hoping....it's just not my sound...blah blah" Knowing a bit about the thing you're potentially interested in is good too, if you can proactively talk the talk before they have a chance to question you, you'll most likely get your way. Failing that, just carry your credit/debit card or wad of cash in your hand, use it to gesture towards whatever it is you want to try, they probably won't think to question your intent to purchase if the money is in your hand already - but you haven't made any actual commitment to buy anything.

I remember going into the bass cellar to try a gain boost pedal, I basically just launched in there with what would usually be an offensive level of enthusiasm - i was in a rush and didn't have time for anyone saying no to me that day.

"HI THERE MATE"
I half shouted at the dozy looking gentleman behind the counter.

"How much are you doing the MXR gain booster pedal for? 80quid yeah?"
I said, thudding my wallet onto the counter. The till-monkey looked startled but confirmed the price.

"Can I have a look at it?" I said, and proceeded to babble on about how bass fx were getting better and manufacturers were taking us seriously as a separate entity from guitarists. This was mostly just so he didn't have a chance to say no.
He soon decided I had more words than he had patients and obliged my request.

I took it in my hand and said, "Can I just give it a quick play before I buy? I wanna see how it pushes my EBS Valvedrive"
I was halfway across the store before he had a chance to reply.

"This one here?" I said nodding toward a Gallien Kruger rig in the corner with the power light on.
"um yeah" he murmured, un-enthused, and brought some jack cables over for me.
After about 2 minutes of playing I knew it wasn't what I wanted, but I figured I'd play for a few minutes and just enjoy the opportunity to actually demo a product in the bass cellar without handing over my testicles as collateral first.

I used to work in telesales so that kind of infuriatingly upbeat wont-let-you-get-a-word-in-edge-ways attitude is something i've practiced, and although a part of my soul dies every time I do it, sometimes it's the only way to get what you want. It tends to kind of bowl people over if they're expecting you to be yet another mug traipsing about mouth-breathing on their expensive stock.

In fairness, not all of Denmark street's shops are like this. By contrast, Wunjo guitars had all the time in the world for my quibbling and dicking about with a jazz bass. In fact, by listening to me and being knowledgeable and friendly my trip there ended with the purchase of said jazz bass and i've never been happier.

I go up to London 2-3 times a year and each time I go to Denmark Street ,the quality of the instruments and the customer service seem to slide down yet another notch. Andys at the end of Denmark street now sells old eastern european and Hagstrom type guitars which possibly only Jack White would like , I can remember when the instruments were great 10 or so years ago,and you would put up will the poor treatment from the shop staff as part of the "Denmark Street " experience . Now the guitars are appalling , there is no reason to go there.
I agree that there is huge potential to revive the street, probably just need to get rid of Music Ground ,or wait for them to go bust ,so that the shops can go back to individual ownership.

I enjoy going into Denmark St whenever I am in London.

Wunjo have always offered me a chance to play anything I fancied.

The book shop chaps always say hi when I walk in :)

I went into the relocated Bas Cellar and was amazed at it's tiny size.

If my kids are with me, they usually come out with things like "But you already have 2 Jazz basses dad, don't you want something different this time?"

It usually gets the sales chap motivated!

I do like PMT in Oxford and have bought several Guitars and Basses from them over the last few years.

I've still not forgiven my local music shop. When I asked if I could have a go on an acoustic guitar, the chap says "can you play?"
Being modest I gave the stock answer "a bit, I'm not that good". The reply? "Come back when you can play and then you can try one!".

That was 5 years ago and I have not purchased a guitar or bass from him.

Customer service is king with things like instruments or luxury items.