Why become a member? ×

Why so expensive?

Shambo

Im feeling a bit confused and was wondering if somebody would explain to me why [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pete-Cornish-Silver-Signature-Guitar-Bass-Cable-5m-/250881525893?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a69b44885"]this[/url] cable would command such a high price?

Edited by Shambo

Because people have expendable income to waste on stuff that makes them feel good about their kit.
I 25 years I've never felt the need to tell anyone the make of my cables - I bet the guys in the band of the guy who wins it will all know before the week is out that he has a Pete Cornish Silver Signature cable. :)

You need to go and try one.. if it does something good for you then it's your call as to whether it's worth the money. If it does nothing for you, then why worry?
I use a similarly priced cable called Cream.. subtle but appreciable difference, works for me!

I'm constantly losing the things so would never fork out for one of these. Athough I found out cables do make a difference to your sound when I bought one of those curly leads from Fender and my bass sounded bluegh! The first one didn't work at all and when I got a replacement and plugged it in all the top end disappeared from my sound as if I had turned the tone right down. It wasn't cheap either. So WARNING don't buy Fender leads they are seriously naff.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1357315' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:28 AM']Because people have expendable income to waste on stuff that makes them feel good about their kit.
I 25 years I've never felt the need to tell anyone the make of my cables - I bet the guys in the band of the guy who wins it will all know before the week is out that he has a Pete Cornish Silver Signature cable. :)[/quote]

Painfully true.

There's a lot of people out there who'll throw money at "boutique" cables. Makes you wonder when we'll see the first boutique plectrum selling for £50.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1357350' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:55 AM']Don't forget to plug your amps in with these :-)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORDOST-VALHALLA-HIFI-MAINS-LEAD-CABLE-2m-POWER-CORD-/160480994970?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item255d69a69a"]Kettle Lead[/url][/quote]
Either that kettle lead is 2m(iles) long, made from platinum and saffron, hand woven by Jesus H Christ, or they mistakenly put a comma where they meant to put a decimal point. :)

Because Pete Cornish is a legend who builds custom pedalboards & stuff for lots of famous guitarists, and people like to own stuff with exclusive names that their heroes use. Most of use have done it with some bit of gear at some point.

Apparently it's his wife that puts the cables together though, so I don't know if this would effect the price if it was common knowledge. :)

[quote name='Shambo' post='1357436' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:54 PM']Either that kettle lead is 2m(iles) long, made from platinum and saffron, hand woven by Jesus H Christ, or they mistakenly put a comma where they meant to put a decimal point. :)[/quote]

Never under estimate the gulability of some Audiophiles.............. If it was made from 100% Oxygen free pure scotch mist someone would by it. What gets me is they boast about the delivery times......... 48Hrs, erm isnt that Economy Rate?
So the 2m of cable between the 100m of cheap copper cable and RCD's and Fuses and screw terminals and weakened hard strand where the sparky has bent it a few times and lumps of mortar and switches which youve sparked a zillion times that makes up your house wiring and your super dooper amp/turntable/CD/DAB etc makes all the difference!!

A

[quote name='RhysP' post='1357460' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:09 PM']Because Pete Cornish is a legend who builds custom pedalboards & stuff for lots of famous guitarists, and people like to own stuff with exclusive names that their heroes use. Most of use have done it with some bit of gear at some point.

Apparently it's his wife that puts the cables together though, so I don't know if this would effect the price if it was common knowledge. :)[/quote]

Is she hot? :)

A

[quote name='apa' post='1357480' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:23 PM']So the 2m of cable between the 100m of cheap copper cable and RCD's and Fuses and screw terminals and weakened hard strand where the sparky has bent it a few times and lumps of mortar and switches which youve sparked a zillion times that makes up your house wiring and your super dooper amp/turntable/CD/DAB etc makes all the difference!![/quote]
Cynic. :lol:

[quote name='apa' post='1357482' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:24 PM']Is she hot? :)[/quote]
Only when she drops the soldering iron in her lap. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1357406' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:30 PM']Painfully true.

There's a lot of people out there who'll throw money at "boutique" cables. Makes you wonder when we'll see the first boutique plectrum selling for £50.[/quote]
I've done it myself.
Completely QED'd my hi-fi out (speakers and connectors) all at great expense (well more than I can justify). I can't tell the difference.... but maybe... just maybe... one day someone will come round mine, hear some tunes and say "Hey mate, nice open sound-stage you have here. What cables are you using?" and I'll be ready with an answer that will be met with a raised eyebrow and a nod of approval. It'll be soooo worth it. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1357505' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:37 PM']I've done it myself.
Completely QED'd my hi-fi out (speakers and connectors) all at great expense (well more than I can justify). I can't tell the difference.... but maybe... just maybe... one day someone will come round mine, hear some tunes and say "Hey mate, nice open sound-stage you have here. What cables are you using?" and I'll be ready with an answer that will be met with a raised eyebrow and a nod of approval. It'll be soooo worth it. :)[/quote]

I know lol. Your waiting for the question but it never comes............. Thankfully I never got past 79 strand Low Oxygen. But I did aroldite some 6 inch nails in the bottom of one of my tables for my Manticore Mantra turntable. Unfortunatly they sank straight into the chipboard floor! Oh and working out the geometry for the perfect position of my Warfedale Speakers was not something a normal 17yo should be doing of an evening in his bedroom :)

A

[quote name='Shambo' post='1357096' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:16 AM']Im feeling a bit confused and was wondering if somebody would explain to me why [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pete-Cornish-Silver-Signature-Guitar-Bass-Cable-5m-/250881525893?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a69b44885"]this[/url] cable would command such a high price?[/quote]

Somin to do with somin and somin effecting somin and if you use that cable somin is better than somin it used to be.

Any way i think its more do do with guitar players really, i live with a few and my god the "debates" over cables goes on and on and on.

And beside if you have an active instruments it make no real difference, thats the reality of it and of people who have done the maths and science and have actually tested them.

really its the same thing as why should you buy a fodera over any other skilled maker. Normally there is about £3000 reasons not to :) and in this case about £30 quid :) whirlwind all the way ha ha

[quote name='apa' post='1357529' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:51 PM']Oh and working out the geometry for the perfect position of my Warfedale Speakers was not something a normal 17yo should be doing of an evening in his bedroom :)

A[/quote]

You should never underestimate some teenagers' capacity for boringness. I was an extremely boring teenager. Didn't do any drugs, had one puff of a cigarette (not a proper one either), drunk probably less than 3 or 4 litres of alcoholic drink in that entire 7 year period and spent the vast majority of nights at home sitting on my arse playing offline games or doing maths :) also i pulled out no maybe that's too much information.

ERM ANYWAY back on topic, I agree with you on your previous point of:

[quote name='apa' post='1357480' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:23 PM']Never under estimate the gulability of some Audiophiles.............. If it was made from 100% Oxygen free pure scotch mist someone would by it. What gets me is they boast about the delivery times......... 48Hrs, erm isnt that Economy Rate?
So the 2m of cable between the 100m of cheap copper cable and RCD's and Fuses and screw terminals and weakened hard strand where the sparky has bent it a few times and lumps of mortar and switches which youve sparked a zillion times that makes up your house wiring and your super dooper amp/turntable/CD/DAB etc makes all the difference!!

A[/quote]

Exactly. Unless you hired mr. Audiophile to do your electrics for you when you built your house new and whilst you were at it put a letter in to the council asking if you could have all the electricity lines running from your house all the way back to the substation replaced with this fantastic 100% oxygen free pure bullshit then i really don't see how that 2 metres from the plug to the amp makes much difference. Apparently one magazine said that a £250 cable made the amp they were running possibly slightly louder but that was it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='markstuk' post='1357611' date='Aug 31 2011, 03:03 PM']And how about this for speaker cable? :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORDOST-VALHALLA-SPEAKER-CABLE-4m-PAIR-4mm-Z-PLUGS-/160505091401?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item255ed95549"]Speaker Cable[/url][/quote]

Well thank god it's available in other lengths otherwise it'd be a rip off!

Truckstop