Why become a member? ×

You Mess Up On A Gig

Pete Academy

You've suddenly forgotten where you are in the song and what you're supposed to play. Do you:

a) Pretend your lead/amp/bass has a sudden fault.

:) Play a drone note until you remember what you're supposed to play.

c) Throw your hands up and admit defeat.

d) Panic.

e) Do all of the above.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1349497' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:13 PM']You've suddenly forgotten where you are in the song and what you're supposed to play. Do you:

a) Pretend your lead/amp/bass has a sudden fault.

:) Play a drone note until you remember what you're supposed to play.

c) Throw your hands up and admit defeat.

d) Panic.

e) Do all of the above.[/quote]

I just fiddle around in the key.

If it's in a verse, I'll just stop playing & clap along & get the audience going until the chorus comes back in (&hopefully have remembered what I'm supposed to play). Though that doesn't seem to work too well on ballads :)

P.S. The :) is caused by putting a "B" & a ")" next to each other with no spaces. You'd be better replacing the ) with a , or a }

I just wait a few beats to get in time then find my bearings.
Usually I catch eye contact with our drummer and smile because we always have a competition to see who makes the most mistakes in a set, as a way to motivate our playing. :)

Edited by ROConnell

Keep playing.... unless I have completely lost the plot but the likelyhood of that is very low as the drums will be playing so I am playing along to him..until I can rescue it.
And then I'll laugh...unless no-one has noticed and then I wouldn't want to give the game away either.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1349497' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:13 PM']c) Throw your hands up and admit defeat.[/quote]

Slightly off topic, but I once attended a gig where the bassist broke a string mid song. He didn't quite throw his hands up and admit defeat... What he actually did was to shout "F*CK!!!" into the mic and storm offstage :) cue the entire band stopping the song and the vocalist awkwardly mumbling "Erm... has anyone got a spare bass?"

True story!

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1349540' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:32 PM']Slightly off topic, but I once attended a gig where the bassist broke a string mid song. He didn't quite throw his hands up and admit defeat... What he actually did was to shout "F*CK!!!" into the mic and storm offstage :) cue the entire band stopping the song and the vocalist awkwardly mumbling "Erm... has anyone got a spare bass?"

True story![/quote]

:)

I remember the words to one of our songs completely exiting my head at one gig, after the first line. I stayed at the mic and said (in character for the song) "You know, I do believe I've forgotten what I was going to say. I blame all these dashed pretty girls putting me off". The other two chaps carried on for an extra verse and we recovered. Being in a comedy band, people usually think cock ups are part of the act, but we're pretty quick at ad-libbing when stuff does go awry!

I remember another one, where the bassline to the chorus of one of the songs just deserted me for the whole song I skipped the bass for each chorus and added backing vocals, to make it at least sound intentional, rather than risking hacking my way through it. I wouldn't mind, but I wrote the chorus for the song! :)

An earlier time, with the same song, something went wrong and the chap on keys (and drums - one of those cheap Yamaha Portatones) and the bassman (I was on keys in this version of the lineup) stopped - I think the adapter got knocked out of his keyboard, so the guitarist and I repeated the chorus with myself on keys and him carrying on singing the audience just thought it was part of the song. You know when you have a 'great minds' moment with one of your bandmates and it works out better? It was definitely one of those, as we started incorporating that bit in the song!

A general rule of thumb for us, is that if someone gets lost, we repeat the current verse/chorus to cover. I do pull a 'just watched someone getting kicked in the balls' face when I hit a bum note sometimes! :)

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1349540' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:32 PM']Slightly off topic, but I once attended a gig where the bassist broke a string mid song. He didn't quite throw his hands up and admit defeat... What he actually did was to shout "F*CK!!!" into the mic and storm offstage :) cue the entire band stopping the song and the vocalist awkwardly mumbling "Erm... has anyone got a spare bass?"

True story![/quote]

Idiot.