Why become a member? ×

Recording Software

Dropzone

I have a really old version of cubase and have heard the wonders spoken of reason / record. Essentially I want to record rehearsals and also hopefuly some fairly decent home recordings.

Is there a way to try reason /record out without paying for it? And is this suitable for what I need?

Ta

Mike

A lot of software lets you download a trial version taht doesn't let you save more than a small amount of data or some other built in data capture flaw that means you will need to buy if you want to use the product properly. Have you tried to download Reason?

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1342893' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:10 AM']I have a really old version of cubase and have heard the wonders spoken of reason / record. Essentially I want to record rehearsals and also hopefuly some fairly decent home recordings.

Is there a way to try reason /record out without paying for it? And is this suitable for what I need?

Ta

Mike[/quote]

In short: yes and yes!

I'm an avid user of Reason/Record myself... love 'em... very intuitive softwares and great for home recording in my opinion: they're quite literally a "studio in a box". The (only) main limitation is a lack of VST support, but you can very easily ReWire Reason into other software, such as Cubase or Logic, if you're desperate to use 3rd party plug-ins.

You can download demos of both softwares from the Propellerhead website - if you want to record audio, then 'Record' is what you're after (I guess the clue is in the name!):

[url="http://www.propellerheads.se/download/"]http://www.propellerheads.se/download/[/url]

Bear in mind that Reason 6 is being release on 30th September, which effectively combines both of these softwares into a single package. If you buy either in the meantime then you'll get a fairly hefty discount on upgrading to Reason 6.

... and before anyone else mentions it, I'd also recommend checking out Reaper - a very cheap and reliable DAW that's superb value for money:

[url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]http://www.reaper.fm/[/url]

[^ dammit, beaten by 51m0n! :) ... must type faster in future!!]

Have fun! :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='51m0n' post='1342916' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:23 AM']Reaper has an open ended try before you buy license (and only costs ~ £25 for non-commercial use)

Its superb....[/quote]

Oh yes! The best £25 I've spent in years.... it just works - no dongle or copy protection, starts in seconds, unlimited tracks and routing,extremely customizable etc,etc - all this in a 6mb download! Gotta be worth a try...

Ableton Live. I've tried them all over 21 years and thats the best in terms of making you record and compose. It doesn't have all the complications of the others but just what you need. The tutorial is also excellent. As I say I've been through them all and I've settled with this for the past 4 years.

Might be worth having a look at Tracktion 3 from Mackie? Ive used it for years along with cubase, protools, abelton et al... For musos its very intuitive and everything fits on one screen, ie no clicking on extra pop up screens for VST's etc, just drag and drop them in as filters. I think its really cheap now as well :)

[quote name='OldG' post='1342984' date='Aug 17 2011, 12:24 PM']Oh yes! The best £25 I've spent in years.... it just works - no dongle or copy protection, starts in seconds, unlimited tracks and routing,extremely customizable etc,etc - all this in a 6mb download! Gotta be worth a try...[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth! I am a big fan of Reaper - I even use the USB install version too, so I can take it to any machine and run it straight away without having to install it!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1349552' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:39 PM']What is wrong with Cubase 1 ?

I ask because I use it and I can't imagine what any newer software can do that it can't.[/quote]

Cubase 1... happy memories :)

The only real problem I had with it was crashing - it seemed to crash all the time when I was using it; but then I was running a fairly low spec Mac at the time, which may explain things.

I've only started making music again recently, but I certainly had fun with the original Cubase. I guess if it works for you, then stick with it.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1349552' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:39 PM']What is wrong with Cubase 1 ?

I ask because I use it and I can't imagine what any newer software can do that it can't.[/quote]

Oh boy....

Complete grouping freedom for a start

Inbuilt time stretching/pitch shifting, that not only works, it sounds excelletn too

Extremely wide ranging and efficient and most importantly fantastic sounding built in effects

Total customisability to match your workflow

No concept of a midi track vs an audio track vs a group, a track is just a track

Full 64bit version (for modern machines this allows use of immense amounts of RAM)

Written to take advantage of modern multiprocessor machines from the ground up - Cubase 1 cant do this and so only utilises the power of a single core/hyperthread

Large choice of real nitty grritty things like pan law on a per track basis

Ability to apply different fx to different objects in a track

Totally non destructive editing of audio

dry/wet mix levels of every vst on any track, even if the vst doesnt have this built in

Complete automation of any and all parameters of every channel, and every paramter of every vst on every channel

Up to 64 channels of sound per track - allows massively complex routing to be set up that then makes for far easier mixing

Active forum where you can find help, tips and tricks, request features, and talk directly to the developers

The list goes on and on and on...

Well if you need any of those things fairy nuff, but I don't - or do I ?
I'm still finding new tricks in Cubase 1 and I don't have the time or desire to learn new stuff that I don't need and can't afford.
I started recording many years ago on a TEAC 1/4" 4 track with a room full of boxes and I find Cubase 1 does so much more in a laptop than that whole room could manage.
I do have Waves Diamond plug ins and Melodyne for extra fx, but I could happily live with the packaged Cubase plug ins if I had to.
Cubase 1 is used for all my recording sessions over the past 5 years and it has never crashed or lost any data.
I think there is a lot to be said for being familiar with whatever tool you use and to work within it's limitations, it's the music you record that matters and no new software will improve that.

I'm still playing my '63 Fender Jazz bass and I consider Cubase 1 as a wonder of modern technology!

Having said that, I'm not a professional audio engineer and I use the cheapest mics and gear that I can find.
I would love someone to give me a copy of the latest version really.
You can hear my latest album recorded in my front room on Cubase 1 [url="http://myspace.com/tacsiband"]here[/url] if you can be bothered.

Edited by redstriper

Question about reaper as I have to put my purchase of protools on hold :)

Is it closer to logic or cubase? I only ask because I've always found Cubase unusable in any form. This is probably my fault rather than the software mind you....

[quote name='redstriper' post='1350267' date='Aug 24 2011, 02:06 PM']Well if you need any of those things fairy nuff, but I don't - or do I ?
I'm still finding new tricks in Cubase 1 and I don't have the time or desire to learn new stuff that I don't need and can't afford.
I started recording many years ago on a TEAC 1/4" 4 track with a room full of boxes and I find Cubase 1 does so much more in a laptop than that whole room could manage.
I do have Waves Diamond plug ins and Melodyne for extra fx, but I could happily live with the packaged Cubase plug ins if I had to.
Cubase 1 is used for all my recording sessions over the past 5 years and it has never crashed or lost any data.
I think there is a lot to be said for being familiar with whatever tool you use and to work within it's limitations, it's the music you record that matters and no new software will improve that.

I'm still playing my '63 Fender Jazz bass and I consider Cubase 1 as a wonder of modern technology!

Having said that, I'm not a professional audio engineer and I use the cheapest mics and gear that I can find.
You can hear my latest album recorded in my front room on Cubase 1 [url="http://myspace.com/tacsiband"]here[/url] if you can be bothered.[/quote]

Kool tracks.....

[quote name='crez5150' post='1350373' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:47 PM']Kool tracks.....[/quote]

Thanks man.

It was mostly recorded live in my front room with a few overdubs and no out board gear.
I'm sure a pro would pick all sorts of holes in it and I'd love someone with better gear (and better ears) to mix it.

A previous project also mostly recorded live at home on Cubase 1 [url="http://myspace.com/redstriper"]here[/url].

Sorry for half inching the thread.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1350267' date='Aug 24 2011, 02:06 PM']Well if you need any of those things fairy nuff, but I don't - or do I ?

You can hear my latest album recorded in my front room on Cubase 1 [url="http://myspace.com/tacsiband"]here[/url] if you can be bothered.[/quote]

Absolutely, I wouldnt be able to say what you need to get the job done, you asked for things Reaper did/had that Cubase1 doesnt.

I think its Chris Lord-Alge who is still mixing on PT5, and critics be damned....

So how about the ability to do an install to a USB stick so yuou can tae youDAW with you to a studio/mates house and run it without installing it? Could that be a useful thing for you??

You could try Reaper for free, they have a 30 day trial period...

[quote name='charic' post='1350357' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:36 PM']Question about reaper as I have to put my purchase of protools on hold :)

Is it closer to logic or cubase? I only ask because I've always found Cubase unusable in any form. This is probably my fault rather than the software mind you....[/quote]

You could try Reaper for free, they have a 30 day trial period...

It is absurdly versatile wrt workflow (more than logic or cubase or PT, not that I am up on the latest versions of those but I read a lot about DAWS cos I'm sad), but there is a learning curve

I've had Reaper on my mac for @ 2 years now & it's still on "evaluation" mode. I'll get the license one day as it's great, but at present I only use it about every 5-6 months (I need to get away from opening Garageband up 1st).
Is it only the newer downloads that have the 30 day trial?

If you're on a Mac or Linux, I suggest you give [url="http://ardour.org"]Ardour[/url] a spin. It's world class software and comes with everything you might want for a studio, whether home or professional. Also has a very friendly user base. I started off with Reason and moved onto Ardour a couple of years ago having messed with ProTools for some sessions. Haven't looked back.

reaper, reaper, reaper.

but I've really got to say that I'm a big fan of propellerhead softwares. Reason has been a companion of mine for many years now, and I must say that as far as audio production goes, it really allows you to do some stuff you migt even like to listen to in a very short amount of time. This said, there's almost nothing you couldn't do with reaper + a bunch of free vsts and soundfonts, so, If I were to choose now I would definitely try to use reaper as much as I can. It really is one hell of a DAW.

after trying practically everything out there,samplitude pro is my (albeit costly) DAW of choice, hands down the best for me personally but i`ll throw another vote in for the mighty reaper.. £25? surely a no-brainer?

Edited by Tuco