Why become a member? ×

Some people might think this is a bit over the top but...

Grand Wazoo

I do like to keep things in check nice and tidy all layed out for easy reference on an excel page, things like bass specs and models, the dates in which the strings and batteries were fitted so I can keep track of how long they last me and so on. Also it's good to have the weights, date of birth, and how many years I've had them in case I need to move them on.

I know I know it is a bit "anal" but it's all good fun at the end of the day (serial numbers and cost of each bass have been blanked)

It might sound a bit morbid but that kind of thing is worth putting in your will---if your loved ones are going to have to "deal with" all your gear after you're gone then a "this is what this stuff is and this is what its worth" document could come in very handy, especially if you have anything odd/rare/valuable.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1342219' date='Aug 16 2011, 06:21 PM']It might sound a bit morbid but that kind of thing is worth putting in your will---if your loved ones are going to have to "deal with" all your gear after you're gone then a "this is what this stuff is and this is what its worth" document could come in very handy, especially if you have anything odd/rare/valuable.[/quote]

Of course that is another use for it, one that it's constantly in the back of my mind, I have one son who will inherit the lot, and this will help him get a grip with what he has on his hands when I am gone.

Keep something along similar lines (without the scheduled maintenance aspect) for insurance purposes (with description, serial numbers, modifications, and value, all noted, and supporting photographs and scans of documentation), to cover for the destruction and/or theft of any item. A memory is all well and good, but it won't assist you to any great degree when you are required to prove ownership, or substantiate values.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1342219' date='Aug 16 2011, 06:21 PM']It might sound a bit morbid but that kind of thing is worth putting in your will---if your loved ones are going to have to "deal with" all your gear after you're gone then a "this is what this stuff is and this is what its worth" document could come in very handy, especially if you have anything odd/rare/valuable.[/quote]

my friend's dad has around 30 guitars (among them 5 or 6 high end les pauls) and he's given strict instructions not to sell them when he dies. My friend is a drummer...

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='1342273' date='Aug 16 2011, 07:00 PM']Im amazed by the way you have seven copies of every book you own and have arranged them in an identical fashion on that enormous book shelf of yours :)[/quote]
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Funny patchwork carpet you have there. :)

No offense but a little bit weird. :) Saying that I can see the upshot of values for insurance but I suggest somebody steps in with an intervention if you start making pie charts of battery life/consumption across basses.

Very impressive, and if that's what floats your boat not at all anal. With four double basses in use and six amp/cabs that gives me 24 combinations. I mark up which I've used at each gig but really there is a sort of pattern to their use based on the gig, the venue and its acoustics. Haven't a clue when I changed strings tho'; the invoices might just give a clue.

[quote name='NJE' post='1342708' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:37 AM']No offense but a little bit weird. :) Saying that I can see the upshot of values for insurance but I suggest somebody steps in with an intervention if you start making pie charts of battery life/consumption across basses.[/quote]

Oh come on now :) I wouldn't even contemplate pie charts or statistics, but this just helps me remember when I fitted the batteries in case they wear too quick, then I'll know there is a problem and I'll have to look into it in case there's a faulty connection or something.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1343602' date='Aug 17 2011, 07:55 PM']Lots of time on your hands?[/quote]

Prime Bass look, that spreadsheet was prepared ages ago in under 10 minutes. I have it saved on disk and only when a change of status takes place, that it gets updated.

Now, how can that justifies as having lots of time on my hands?