funky8884

Hey Guy's and Gal's, I am about to purchase one of the following compressors -

Aguilar TLC ( current #1 pick )
MarkBass Compressore
Rothwell Love Squeeze
Demeter Compulator
EBS MultiComp
Effectrode PC-2A

Has anyone out there A- B'd any of these pedals ? or owned one of the above and sold/swapped for any reasons ?

They all seem to have good reviews on Ovnilabs.

I am after a good quality comp that will not add any noise to my signal and will allow me to compress and peak limit.

[quote name='funky8884' post='1339666' date='Aug 14 2011, 03:12 PM']Hey Guy's and Gal's, I am about to purchase one of the following compressors -

Aguilar TLC ( current #1 pick )
MarkBass Compressore
Rothwell Love Squeeze
Demeter Compulator
EBS MultiComp
Effectrode PC-2A

Has anyone out there A- B'd any of these pedals ? or owned one of the above and sold/swapped for any reasons ?

They all seem to have good reviews on Ovnilabs.

I am after a good quality comp that will not add any noise to my signal and will allow me to compress and peak limit.[/quote]

I have used the MB Compressore and the EBS Multicomp. Both very, very very good. I'd go for the EBS though as it's a lot simpler to use and also a lot smaller. I also considered the Maxon CP9 Pro+.

Another vote for the Multicomp here. I used to have the Demeter Compulator, but I found the compression on it quite sharp and precise. I reckon its better suited for jazzy/funky playing, whereas I prefer the slightly more transparent sound of the EBS for rock music.

Thanks for the feedback, and it looks like the EBS is the winner of the popularity contest.

In the Tube Department the Effectrode and Markbass would be cool but I do not know how they will go if I am using my Mesa Boogie Buster 200w as it is already Tubed to the max.

I have been looking at the FEA Dual Band Comp/Limiter for a while and as my birthday is coming up I could be in luck !!! :)

Rock On !!!

Edited by funky8884

Love my EBS for it's ease of use and tranparency, love the Boss CS-1 for squashing a fretless to within an inch of it's life and it lack of tranparency :)

I picked up a CS-3 and did the Monte Allums 'opto plus' mod to it and that's pretty amazing now for the price.

I've just sold my EBS Multicomp( not true bypass) because of his noise on increasing level of gain (from 8:00 )
I want to buy another compressor, like funky8884, but i want it as noiseless as possible.
Is the new true bypass Multicomp quieter than the older one?

[quote name='freddy919' post='1343669' date='Aug 17 2011, 08:59 PM']I've just sold my EBS Multicomp( not true bypass) because of his noise on increasing level of gain (from 8:00 )
I want to buy another compressor, like funky8884, but i want it as noiseless as possible.
Is the new true bypass Multicomp quieter than the older one?

Just a suggestion, but with my Aguilar I use very extreme settings, and when i put the gain up to make the bass its normal volume I get barely any noise at all :)

I'm using the ART Levelar. [url="http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?cat=18&type=124&id=7"]http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?ca...pe=124&id=7[/url]

Discontinued and not so easy to come across, but worth trying. These are from the days ART were still manufacturing in the States. Works great for me. Better than my DBX266XL (rack) and it works between the bass and the amp or in the effects loop.

Downsides?
- Some might find the desktop format inconvenient
- Needs a special power supply (AC9V)

Review here: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/levelar.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/levelar.shtml[/url]

[quote name='aldude' post='1340309' date='Aug 15 2011, 08:46 AM']I have used the MB Compressore and the EBS Multicomp. Both very, very very good. I'd go for the EBS though as it's a lot simpler to use and also a lot smaller. I also considered the Maxon CP9 Pro+.[/quote]
I've had the BBE opto Stomp twice but ended up with the Maxon CP9 Pro+ and haven't looked back. Great pedal

You're definitely missing off the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics from your list!! It's feature rich and cheaper than some of the pedals in your list, yet features both full range and multi band compression (3 vs EBS's 2) and noise gates too.
The pedal can also be used in full stereo for studio applications OR configured so that two different basses can be plugged in and have their own separate settings. It's a transparent compressor that does exactly what you want without adding it's own colour.

there was one of these in for sale for £80 recently - bargain! This is a cracking pedal somewhat ruined by the Ovnilab/bongomania review that talks about a glitch. Apart from that (which it's not clear whether it's recognised fault or production error or what) he is very very positive about this pedal. he would know.

[quote name='dood' post='1356440' date='Aug 30 2011, 03:55 PM']You're definitely missing off the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics from your list!! It's feature rich and cheaper than some of the pedals in your list, yet features both full range and multi band compression (3 vs EBS's 2) and noise gates too.
The pedal can also be used in full stereo for studio applications OR configured so that two different basses can be plugged in and have their own separate settings. It's a transparent compressor that does exactly what you want without adding it's own colour.[/quote]

Edited by RichF