Why become a member? ×

Feedback

Pete Academy

I find the lack of feedback after a transaction a little rude, but it's not a biggie, won't stop me buying from the same person if the sale went through ok.
As for general posting, I don't usually bother as there are enough opinions and enough advice on here already without any added drivel.
I also noticed that some members seem to suffer from posting fatigue and lay off for a while.

Well that's my quota for the month. :)

[quote name='bartelby' post='1325446' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:42 AM']I'm embarrassed to say I always forget about leaving feedback.

As I've made a few transactions of the last month I must make amends.[/quote]

:)

I didn't say that I left any either, Im as rude as the next man! :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1325087' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:00 AM']It depends.

A ) you get your fill of GAS elsewhere like eBay.
B ) you can afford to buy everything new.

I'd say C ) you don't get GAS, but that'd be absurd. :)[/quote]
:D
No GAS that would be very absurd :lol:

I must admit to getting dreadful attacks of GAS. Unfortunately my wallet won't extend to fund them. The pitfall of having kids, such is life :)

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1325286' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:59 AM']I've bought and sold a whole bunch of things on here and i've met some jolly nice people in the process too.
I don't really have much to add to what the main regulars have to say. There are many people on here who are experts in all fields who usually post before me so i do the on-line equivalent of nodding and raising eyebrows in agreement, i.e. saying nothing.

I could simply post "hmm, i agree" all the time but i'm sure it'd waste everyone's time!!![/quote]

I think this sums up my view, too. I don't have the wealth of experience that others here have to contribute so, unless I have something in particular or relevant to say, don't just post for the sake of seeing myself on the internet.

But I think having a low profile can have it's downside - people seem less inclined to get stuck into a discussion that I try to start or just overlook posts that I make. In a thread recently I added my tuppence-worth, no-one commented. One of the high profile, 'pro' players made much the same observation and it the discussion carried on. Not saying that everyone should have an acknowledgement to every post they make but it does sometimes engender the feeling that there are cliques here.

Either that or I need to up my medication :)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1325795' date='Aug 3 2011, 03:57 PM']One of the high profile, 'pro' players made much the same observation and it the discussion carried on.
Either that or I need to up my medication :)[/quote]

I am sure if anyone was high profile, they would not be posting here... :)

I see you are on the Essex Riveria, i am over on 'that Island' :lol:
Now thats a good reason to up the medication

Garry

[quote name='Paul S' post='1325795' date='Aug 3 2011, 03:57 PM']I think this sums up my view, too. I don't have the wealth of experience that others here have to contribute so, unless I have something in particular or relevant to say, don't just post for the sake of seeing myself on the internet.

But I think having a low profile can have it's downside - people seem less inclined to get stuck into a discussion that I try to start or just overlook posts that I make. In a thread recently I added my tuppence-worth, no-one commented. One of the high profile, 'pro' players made much the same observation and it the discussion carried on. Not saying that everyone should have an acknowledgement to every post they make but it does sometimes engender the feeling that there are cliques here.

Either that or I need to up my medication :)[/quote]
You'll probably find that it was taken on board by a lot more people than you realise.

And I wouldn't let a lack of experience hold you back from contributing. I know absolutely* nothing and it's never stopped me :)

*does anyone remember Absolutely when it was on the telly?

[quote name='lowdown' post='1325821' date='Aug 3 2011, 04:19 PM']I see you are on the Essex Riveria, i am over on 'that Island' :)
Now thats a good reason to up the medication[/quote]

Ah - 'there'. I am a brave boy these days and venture over the border every Tuesday to rehearse. I forgot my passport once and was turned back but usually everything is fine. In fact my next gig is at the Haystack on Saturday - evening slot after the carnival!

[quote]And I wouldn't let a lack of experience hold you back from contributing. I know absolutely* nothing and it's never stopped me smile.gif[/quote]

:)

Notice I didn't disagree....

This forum is mostly older players discussing older players and old music. But I don't know if that's because young players simply have more interesting things to do than work on their bass anorak credentials, or whether they came here, found it was mostly threads about funk or prog bands from the '70s, rolled their eyes and closed their browser.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1326836' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:56 PM']This forum is mostly older players discussing older players and old music. But I don't know if that's because young players simply have more interesting things to do than work on their bass anorak credentials, or whether they came here, found it was mostly threads about funk or prog bands from the '70s, rolled their eyes and closed their browser.[/quote]

I'll admit there's a bunch of threads I stay clear of, though the thread title or first post usually tells me if I'm going to be massively uninterested by the thread. Still I came on here as it's great to have a UK community - I've been on TalkBass a bit recently just to sell my Warwick, some of the mindlessly idiotic posts and threads are unbelievable, and make me glad to be here. I also think that I can learn a lot from the largely older community on here, which is sort of what a forum like this is about.

That said, I remember thinking at my last gig that none of the basses looked like things I'd seen in people's sigs on here, implying chances are that those guys are not members. This made me think how many people even realise the site is here. The reason I found it was because I kept searching for various amp and pedal models and the reviews/for sale items that kept coming up on goggle were on here, had never heard of it before then.

I must admit, I've sold a couple of things on here and not been left feedback (even though I've left the buyer their feedback) and it's left me a little bit miffed.
To me, it's just basic courtesy.

As for newbies being ignored and the clique thing... Aren't you supposed to introduce yourself in the introductions section? I forgot to, and it took a while before anyone commented on my posts, or I started to feel like part of the community.

People may well be contributing without us realising it - don't forget, we need people to read the posts - the stats show a lot more people get involved this way than by actually posting. Not everyone feels comfortable putting their views out there, and some may feel intimidated by some of the responses - I asked once for some help with a song, just couldn't hear the changes properly and said so in the post. First response "listen to the record"! Yeah, thanks!! Fortunately faith was soon restored by a perfect notation by ChrisB. It is a shame that those that use the site but don't post are not seen as participating and therefore remain newbies for years!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326852' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:00 PM']I also think that I can learn a lot from the largely older community on here, which is sort of what a forum like this is about.[/quote]

Oh sure I have picked up a lot of valuable info from asking on here (or occasionally just from browsing), so yeah I agree it's great for that, but it seems to be quite limited in terms of topics for discussion and even more so in variety of opinion.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326852' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:00 PM']That said, I remember thinking at my last gig that none of the basses looked like things I'd seen in people's sigs on here, implying chances are that those guys are not members. This made me think how many people even realise the site is here.[/quote]

Or it could be that most of the guys you see gigging just aren't that interested in knowing a lot about the bass guitar. They are probably more interested in music.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1326945' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:48 PM']Or it could be that most of the guys you see gigging just aren't that interested in knowing a lot about the bass guitar. They are probably more interested in music.[/quote]

I've always thought of bass players as typically being massive gear nerds to be honest.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326947' date='Aug 4 2011, 01:50 PM']I've always thought of bass players as typically being massive gear nerds to be honest.[/quote]

I think for most it's quite the opposite. In the case of most rock gigs they've got the 'casual' role in the band, they don't need to know much or be able to play very well, so they don't really need to practice, and they probably won't be heard anyway, etc. I come across very few bass players who take any real pride in doing a good job of it. Most seem happy to make up the numbers.

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1326511' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:27 AM']Apologies if I havent read every post in the feedback section, but does anyone ever leave bad feedback (a la Ebay)? To me, that would be just as useful as good feedback in some cases, but i guess there is a protocol to take into account.[/quote]

If I had any 'real' problems with a buyer or seller, I would report that, I do rely on user feedback/history and I even PM some past sellers/buyers just to check. So in return, I think the same should be required of myself and others..

I think everyone should donate, as every penny counts

On the contribution side, I think if you have nothing to say, say nothing