Why become a member? ×

DR Strings - Problems and no response from them in over 2 months.

xilddx

We had a similar discussion a while ago and I contacted the owner of DR Strings - his response copied below:

[quote name='Hamster' post='1138044' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:03 AM']I sent off an e-mail to DR Strings in the USA to inform them of our concerns. Here's the reply I got from their president Mark Dronge (used with permission)

[i]"Dear Colin: Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the noted complaints, and concerns your forum writers have communicated to you and the UK world of bass players. First, let me state that any sets of DR strings where there is a "sealed" packet inside the box are, at this time, counterfeit. We have seen examples over the past two years. It is imposssible to trace and stop. As for a reduction in caring, or training, or inspection on the part of DR, or any DR employee, nothing could be further from the truth. We absolutely strive to produce finer strings with more consistency than any other manufacturer in the world. Whether we succeed or not may be open to debate based on personal taste. That is our goal, each and every day. DR is not out to produce the most strings at the lowest cost. Our goal, which I have personally pursued from the first day we began production over 20 years ago, is to offer the best strings it is possible to produce. Which leads to the question is a string produced on a computer assisted winding machine more accurately made than a handmade string? We think NOT, for specific reasons. In the future when and if a serious problem arises with a set of DR HandMade String I would advise your forum contributors to contact First Line Music, the DR distributor for the UK.

Very truly yours,

Mark Dronge,
President, DR HandMade Strings, inc."[/i]

If anyone continues to have an issue with DR Strings, the UK importer is - [url="http://www.firstlinemusic.co.uk/contact.php"]http://www.firstlinemusic.co.uk/contact.php[/url]

I think it would be useful to return any packaging the strings came in as well.[/quote]

I've seen this before. I am not quite sure what a 'sealed' packet inside the box may be... all my Dr string come in a paper envelope/sleeve type packaging which is not 'sealed'

All I can say is that buying a pack of pretty expensive DR strings only to have one out of that batch fail, is as annoying as it is inconvenient. As far as I can trust them, I'd have to have
2 clean sets to put on a bass and it is this factor more than anything else that makes me try another brand.

If my perception of the strings was the same as it was a few years ago, I'd still be using these faithfully as I think they are the best I've found...just that the extra expense is no garauntee anymore, it seems.

I am assuming that DR will replace via their distributor, duff strings, and this is ok, but by that time I have had to make other arrangments..so I'd just as soon as take that uncertainly out of the equation and put my trust elsewhere.

I now carry a few new sets and a few clean sets to cope with this..whereas I never had to accomodate the idea of duffers before...as one clean set was enough.

I have the highest respect for DR as a company, and as stated I love their product when everything is as it should. However, my individual DR experience has been 15+ years of hundreds of perfect sets - not so in the last 12 months. To me it has been a drop in experienced quality, but of course it could all be coincidence. What it isn't in my case is counterfeits or wrong handling of the strings such as not making a right angle bend before cutting them to length.

I'm staying with DR for now but have started trying out different brands. Only one I've found to be of my liking as much as DR so far is Newtone - also handwounds roundcores and really awesome strings.

Love DR and would like nothing more than for the next 12 months to be back on track. Perhaps it's just a statistical phenomenon combined with forum comments always tending to be somewhat out of proportion in that negatives sometimes are broadcast more than positives.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!
I've added myself to the basschat forum family so that we may be able to quickly respond to any issues -and of course any positive feedback :)- you may have encountered with our strings.
Email is usually preferable, as I don't get to log on everyday to the [email protected].
Looking forward to speaking with you soon!
Anthony Corona
DR Strings

[quote name='DR Strings' post='1338084' date='Aug 12 2011, 07:30 PM']Hi all!
I've added myself to the basschat forum family so that we may be able to quickly respond to any issues -and of course any positive feedback :)- you may have encountered with our strings.
Email is usually preferable, as I don't get to log on everyday to the [email protected].
Looking forward to speaking with you soon!
Anthony Corona
DR Strings[/quote]

Great to see you on the forum... Maybe you could respond to a few of the quality control issues mentioned in this thread.

Also, is there a supply issue at the mo. I have been waiting for a set of Black Beauties (6 string set) from Bass Direct for about a month. Each week Mark apologises for the delays and says he is told they will be delivered this week. I was there 2 weeks ago and he made a call to you (??)/the supplier whilst I was there and heard him told that they were sorry about the delay again, but demand has been huge and they'd be with him that week. 2 weeks have passed and he still hasn't received the delivery. I spoke with Mark again at the weekend and he told me that he had arranged for the set to be sent to me direct this week as he was away from Tuesday and had been 'promised' (again) that they would be going out this week.

It's now the end of the week and needless to say, nothing has arrived.

Is there a supply issue? If so, in the interest of customer service, I think being honest to the shops stocking the product is a good start. I know things get delayed, but to say 'this week' and still be saying 'this week' into the 5th week later says somethings gone wrong or someone's just fobbing the stockist off...

I REALLY want to keep using the strings, but I'm not prepared to wait 'another' week.

Hopefully there's some news on supply?

Thanks!

Shep

Personally I think it shows some genuine commitment to Customer satisfaction if they're joining a User website to guage what bassplayers are thinking and saying about their product. Hopefully this will mean that they become more responsive and pick up issues that we highlight here. By putting up a direct Email address we will hopefully have a direct line into the people at the top who are able to make decisions and thus changes in the way they operate. I would like to think that this will lead to improvements in quality and customer satisfaction..

I think this is a positive move on DRs part and hope that we, the consumer, will benefit from that move..

"Pudding" and "proof" and the poignant words here... :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1312242' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:16 AM']the round core status hotwires are a pretty good british (and cheaper) alternative to DR hibeams i've found.

Any problems and you just email dawn and she sorts it out[/quote]

Every time I've tried to buy Hotwires (bar one) Dawn can't find the price list, isn't sure what they've got in, will get back to me (never does), etc etc. I've never had a single good experience with her, sorry.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1338189' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:16 PM']Personally I think it shows some genuine commitment to Customer satisfaction if they're joining a User website to guage what bassplayers are thinking and saying about their product. Hopefully this will mean that they become more responsive and pick up issues that we highlight here. By putting up a direct Email address we will hopefully have a direct line into the people at the top who are able to make decisions and thus changes in the way they operate. I would like to think that this will lead to improvements in quality and customer satisfaction..

I think this is a positive move on DRs part and hope that we, the consumer, will benefit from that move..

"Pudding" and "proof" and the poignant words here... :)[/quote]

Agree.

I've been using them ever since the Gallery opened and first stocked them, and they were, IMO, by far and away the best string
out there.
I can't hand on heart, say that is still true today, IME.

I have ordered custom winds elsewhere and await the wind manufacture of 3-4 weeks..which is longer than I expected, and then I will make a decision about which brand I use thereafter.

I watch this space as DR had given me such stirling service over the years.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1338118' date='Aug 12 2011, 07:55 PM']Great to see you on the forum... Maybe you could respond to a few of the quality control issues mentioned in this thread.

Also, is there a supply issue at the mo. I have been waiting for a set of Black Beauties (6 string set) from Bass Direct for about a month. Each week Mark apologises for the delays and says he is told they will be delivered this week. I was there 2 weeks ago and he made a call to you (??)/the supplier whilst I was there and heard him told that they were sorry about the delay again, but demand has been huge and they'd be with him that week. 2 weeks have passed and he still hasn't received the delivery. I spoke with Mark again at the weekend and he told me that he had arranged for the set to be sent to me direct this week as he was away from Tuesday and had been 'promised' (again) that they would be going out this week.

It's now the end of the week and needless to say, nothing has arrived.

Is there a supply issue? If so, in the interest of customer service, I think being honest to the shops stocking the product is a good start. I know things get delayed, but to say 'this week' and still be saying 'this week' into the 5th week later says somethings gone wrong or someone's just fobbing the stockist off...

I REALLY want to keep using the strings, but I'm not prepared to wait 'another' week.

Hopefully there's some news on supply?

Thanks!

Shep[/quote]

I've been waiting about 4 weeks for 2 packs of 45-100 hi beams... Same as you Mark can only apologise and say what he has web told which is this week or next week blah blah.
I had to email firstline as I had a duff E in a 40-100 set I had to buy(I was desperate and couldn't get my usual sets due to supply issue). The reply apologised and asked for my address and my replacement would be out this week.... That was a good 2 weeks ago. I also asked him about my order, and I got the same "this week" crap.

Really frustrated now, how can the distribution not know whn they are getting stock?

Just seen this thread. I switched to DR about 18 months ago. I get my Black Beauties from String Busters. I had one set with a duff G. It was just dead as a dodo. I emailed them late afternoon and had a replacement string delivered next morning. All they asked was that I send the duff one back when I could.

I ordered my last batch of Hi Beams from Thomann- €36 for a 5 string set.

I progressed to DR strings from Rotosound to D'Addario to Elites to Manson's strings. When I first tried DRs the difference was tangible and audible- a bit like using better quality hi-fi leads and connects. Not a huge Eureka moment- more of an "oh yeah" and a smile.

Since the £ weakened against the $ and € I change my strings less often TBH.

I switched to DR Black Beauties about a year ago and have bought around 5 or 6 sets since to fit on all my basses. I get them from an eBay seller in the USA and they work out at pretty well bang on £20 a set including postage. They usually take about a week and I haven't had a single problem with the strings or HMC&E. I think they are brilliant.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1341758' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:16 PM']I switched to DR Black Beauties about a year ago and have bought around 5 or 6 sets since to fit on all my basses. I get them from an eBay seller in the USA and they work out at pretty well bang on £20 a set including postage. They usually take about a week and I haven't had a single problem with the strings or HMC&E. I think they are brilliant.[/quote]

Paul, which USA seller do you use?

Thanks,
John

I only have one pack of Sunbeams in my draw. I doubt Id use DR them for anything else at the moment.

To be honest, and yes I am a big fan of Ernie Ball, but their strings work very well for me. Not one complaint (so far).

I don't use stainless strings anymore. Its either flats or nickel rounds.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1342762' date='Aug 17 2011, 09:33 AM']Paul, which USA seller do you use?

Thanks,
John[/quote]

Hi John

I missed your question, sorry! Guitarsuperhero. I just had a look and he actually isn't listing them at the moment.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1344225' date='Aug 18 2011, 12:06 PM']Hi John

I missed your question, sorry! Guitarsuperhero. I just had a look and he actually isn't listing them at the moment.[/quote]

Ok, thanks for that Paul.
I'll see if there in stock next week.
John

I had 2 sets od D'addario ProSteel XL's that had issues with the E string, in the first set the E was dead straight out the packet, the second set was fine at first but the E died after one gig, the A,D and G were still bright but the E was completely shot. I just put it down to a blip in their QC but decided i'd drop them an email today anyway. Had a reply from George within an hour, gave him the serial no's from the bags and got 2 complimentary new sets on the way. Can't complain about that sort of customer service!