Why become a member? ×

HELP! I've just received a £1,200 bonus from work.

thebrig

Just over an hour ago, the postman delivered my wage slip, and to my delight, I have been given a £1,200 bonus which I was not expecting.

I know that I should put it away for a rainy day, but I'm gassing like mad, even though I really don't need any more basses.

Maybe I should just put another "bitsa" together on the cheap, and put the rest away.

What do you think guys/gals?

By the way, the missus doesn't know yet, should I tell her?

Help please!

Edited by thebrig

By something 2nd hand that you like the look at and is worth double should it be bought new. You'll get a bass you love the look off, own something that's already of 2nd hand value (unlikely to loose anymore if you re-sell) and get to be the envy of your bass playing friends.

£1200 will get you a bass worth 2k in the for sale section....

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1305530' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:06 AM']By something 2nd hand that you like the look at and is worth double should it be bought new. You'll get a bass you love the look off, own something that's already of 2nd hand value (unlikely to loose anymore if you re-sell) and get to be the envy of your bass playing friends.

£1200 will get you a bass worth 2k in the for sale section....[/quote]

Get an Overwater Perception and you're looking at a £3k bass for about £1k.

I'd be looking at something about half that and put the rest away if I were in your shoes. Many good basses can be got for £6-800.

find a shop that will do a 'wife receipt'

there used to be a hi-fi shop in chatham that would do you a genuine receipt at the retail price and also a 'wife receipt' at a fraction of the retail price the latter for you to show 'she who must be obeyed' and trot out the predictable line of ..... but darling it only cost £xxx.00 look ive got the receipt here :)

Yeah, ask a bass forum if you should buy a new bass or not. That'll be a balanced discussion. :)

Honest opinion: I think you've already got some very nice basses that cover a lot of ground style and sound wise, and you say yourself you don't need anything, so I'd rule out any serious purchases (ie >c£250) unless you're shifting one out first. A bitsa perhaps, or something around that area, or how about an effects pedal or two?

Personally, if that kind of money dropped in my lap right now I'd consider either a holiday or even just a nice meal and save the rest. Hey, I like good food.

Edited by Maverick

Don't tell the missus, she'll want to buy a holiday or some new double glazing, something sensible.
Go buy a jetski, or a really unrealiable sports car, or a hot tub. And beer, lots of beer.

Resist the gas, it's a slipperly slope.

If the missus is your wife/partner and you live together, and have a joint account, I can`t see how it`s possible that she wouldn`t find out, so come clean.

If however, you don`t live together, or have a joint account, tell her about the £200 bonus you got, and suggest a nice weekend away somewhere.

Then on the Monday afterwards, spend the leftover grand on something you really want.

Oh sod that, nice bunch of flowers, a bottle of wine and dvd "Oh my time with you is all precious my dear" blah blah blah, all that romantic stuff.
Then blow the £1170 you have left on something you really want.
(And yes I am that little red guy on your shoulder)

After speaking to so many of my mates dads it's become clear that as soon as you get married you see less of your money, as soon as you have kids you see none of it.
So seize the oppurtunity.

Edited by Ross

[quote name='thebrig' post='1305526' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:02 AM']Just over an hour ago, the postman delivered my wage slip, and to my delight, I have been given a £1,200 bonus which I was not expecting.

I know that I should put it away for a rainy day, but I'm gassing like mad, even though I really don't need any more basses.

Maybe I should just put another "bitsa" together on the cheap, and put the rest away.

What do you think guys/gals?

By the way, the missus doesn't know yet, should I tell her?

Help please![/quote]

buy a nice envelope filter pedal, or one of those Shine Telecaster basses (cheap!) and put the rest away. Then, I am sure in a not very distant future you'll come across something you really want... bingo! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1305866' date='Jul 16 2011, 03:02 PM']Just got to get the right gal :)[/quote]

+1000

My only restriction is I cannot jeopardise holidays because I spent the money on toys. But as long as we can go on holidays... and they fit in my music room, then it's ok :)