Why become a member? ×

A youtube clip with some very nice slapping!

Gwilym

I found this great clip on youtube last night, not sure if it's been posted up before? Anyway, it's a great tune, and a very well done melodic slap bass line, IMO, that fits the song and is not some tedious techinque-fest. This guy should be commended! :)

very cool playing.. right on the money.. i just adore that fender jazz bass tone.. nothing else like it... ok maybe the other ones.. :)

i do hate pigeon holeing of music though.. lift music, Ceefax music. job finder..???. i bet whats gone into it is far and beyond what most of us are capable of.. its just not your style.. sorry that really gets on my wick..

Edited by bubinga5

Nice playing - good feel and technique. Ok, so the tunes not one thats gonna live long in the memory but hats off to the guy who i am sure has some most excellent chops but was more concerned with being sympathetic to the song. Nice bass (except the white pickguard) - love the blocks.

Bubinga is dead right. Why knock that guy. He's a great player. So what if the backing track is 'lift music'? He has great technique and isn't showing it off for technique's sake. His groove is impeccable.

What's wrong with that?

There seems to be a lot of negativity when anyone posts a slap groove.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1291445' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:55 PM']It's merely a backing track. I've heard lots worse.[/quote]
I've heard worse too :)

Still doesn't make it any better! :)

Maybe if he got rid of the crappy keyboard sounds & had an instrument doing something contrary to that riff, it'd sound better.

& then chuck some vocals over it, & maybe change the drums a bit.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1291401' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:20 PM']What about the bass playing? I think the criticism about the backing track is a bit harsh. The guy is obviously very good.[/quote]
Maybe, but I'd like to hear him posting something worth listening to.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1291496' date='Jul 3 2011, 09:44 PM']maybe he could post something playing the style of music you like... we would all be happy?? :)[/quote]
I was clumsily trying to make a point to Pete. Sometimes it's hard to get excited about technical ability if, musically, it ain't ringing your bell.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1291440' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:51 PM']Bubinga is dead right. Why knock that guy. He's a great player. So what if the backing track is 'lift music'? He has great technique and isn't showing it off for technique's sake.[/quote]

Taste is more important than technique, and judging by the majority of responses this man has very poor taste.

Nobody listens to music because the musician has great technique, if the music is rubbish.