Why become a member? ×

Mark King charity auction

toneknob

I've never been a fan of L42, but he seems like a nice genuine, down-to-earth guy as well.

Full marks for donating some really good items. More people should take note from what he's doing.

What I really like is that this is the first I've heard of it - how many people make a massive PR song and dance when doing such a thing?

He's really gone up in my book.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1281236' date='Jun 24 2011, 04:59 PM']I've never been a fan of L42, but he seems like a nice genuine, down-to-earth guy as well.

Full marks for donating some really good items. More people should take note from what he's doing.

What I really like is that this is the first I've heard of it - how many people make a massive PR song and dance when doing such a thing?

He's really gone up in my book.[/quote]

:) what he /\ said!

[quote name='spongebob' post='1281236' date='Jun 24 2011, 04:59 PM']What I really like is that this is the first I've heard of it - how many people make a massive PR song and dance when doing such a thing?[/quote]

Maybe not enough PR in this case! I've stuck it on the Bass Player magazine facebook feed.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1281236' date='Jun 24 2011, 04:59 PM']I've never been a fan of L42, but he seems like a nice genuine, down-to-earth guy as well.[/quote]
I met Mark King backstage after a Level 42 gig in Cardiff in 1981. I was a young tongue-tied kid who'd just discovered his playing after growing up listening to pretty much exclusively old school rock music (Purple, Sabbath, ELP etc.)

The rest of the band were great & spent ages talking to me & signing my programme.

Mark actually went & got his basses that had been packed away by the road crew so I could play his red Jaydee & the legendary white "Starchild" Jaydee. He was absolutely bloody fantastic & to this day I don't think I've ever met a nicer person.
I won't hear a bad word said against him - he's a f***ing gem.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1281464' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:22 PM']I met Mark King backstage after a Level 42 gig in Cardiff in 1981. I was a young tongue-tied kid who'd just discovered his playing after growing up listening to pretty much exclusively old school rock music (Purple, Sabbath, ELP etc.)

The rest of the band were great & spent ages talking to me & signing my programme.

Mark actually went & got his basses that had been packed away by the road crew so I could play his red Jaydee & the legendary white "Starchild" Jaydee. He was absolutely bloody fantastic & to this day I don't think I've ever met a nicer person.
I won't hear a bad word said against him - he's a f***ing gem.[/quote]
Same here.

Saw them at Manchester Apollo in the mid 80s, and they spent a lot of time after the gig just sitting around with fans for a fairly long Q&A session, signing all sorts, etc.

Top bloke.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1281464' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:22 PM']I met Mark King backstage after a Level 42 gig in Cardiff in 1981. I was a young tongue-tied kid who'd just discovered his playing after growing up listening to pretty much exclusively old school rock music (Purple, Sabbath, ELP etc.)

Nice anecdote. Good to hear.

He's the reason I started playing bass the first time around! I was a guitarist from about the age of 12, but never felt entirely comfortable with it. Then, at the age of 15, I saw Level 42 on TV, and thought to myself, "THAT'S what I want to do!".

Considering that I was, and have only ever really been, a hard rock/metal musician, this may seem a little odd! But I loved his style, and despite the fact that I never really liked Level 42's music, he got me hooked on the sound of the bass. Within a couple of years, I'd played in several bands, including one which came (iirc) second in an "England Entertains" talent contest, so I must have been reasonably good.

Unfortunately, a few years later, I got into DJing instead, so the bass was exchanged for two turntables lol. but the lure of four strings has never entirely gone away, and now I'm back haha :)

This so cool. I love these home videos Mark keeps doing (the Christmas one was amazing!). It's great that he's selling off loads of top quality kit for charity. Super rare items like the Kingbass and the Ashdown stuff must mean a lot to him so he must be a top bloke to sell it.

It was nice hearing the rare demo track 'Link One' at the end too!

+1. I met him on his One Man tour and he was a lovely bloke.