Why become a member? ×

I've got the best amp in the world! (but I never get to play it)

gjones

I notice a lot of people who are pro amps are owners of Genz Benz gear. It was that effing Ed freidland who got me hankering after my massive bassman after I saw his bass whisperer review. He sung it's praises to the rafters and went on and on about how great it was.

But does he own one?

NO he does not!

What does he own?

A GENZ BENZ SHUTTLE thats what!

B@ST@RD!!!

Having my Eden rig behind me gives me all the monitoring I need, although I try not to saturate the stage with it (which is easy to do). I D.I out to the desk for the FOH and my drummer's in ears. I haven't really found another viable means for me to monitor on stage and for me to be happy with my level, although I'd like to try in ears in the future. My rig is big so most of the time it lives in our Mercedes Sprinter. Easy.

[quote name='gjones' post='1275704' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:25 AM']I notice a lot of people who are pro amps are owners of Genz Benz gear. It was that effing Ed freidland who got me hankering after my massive bassman after I saw his bass whisperer review. He sung it's praises to the rafters and went on and on about how great it was.

But does he own one?

NO he does not!

What does he own?

A GENZ BENZ SHUTTLE thats what!

B@ST@RD!!![/quote]

Hmmmm, same here with my Streamliner. That'll teach me.

I prefer to use my rig. That way I know roughly what it's gonna sound like prior to the gig & if they want it thru the PA, they can either mic or DI from me.
Other problem I have is a lot of venues either have a PA that won't cope with everything going thru or we have to use our own (which after the drummer is in there, I find there's not enough headroom).

So if you want to use your Bassman, ask the soundy to mic you up (get your own mic, stand & cable to avoid excuses).

So you've got an amp that looks good but is too heavy to take out! What's the point of that?

Most of my bands want the bass flapping their trousers. Small, loud, light black boxes do that and don't break my back. I don't care what it looks like, at the moment I'm using the lightest and most sensible rig I've ever owned.

I've played a good few gigs, and there are not many venues where the monitors could give me what I wanted on stage in terms of bass. This is all originals venues with tiny crowds, so I suppose it all depends on what type of venue you're playing. I'd have nothing against gigging with no rig, but only if I was 100% the monitors could give me what I need.

I agree with the OP. I had a ashdown 500W 410 & 115 and it was a complete waste of effort taking it anywhere. Now I use a pedal board (with amp & cab models in it) and IEM.

There is a part of me which thinks big rigs are about ego and stage presence. That being said, my band has a 3kw PA and I have a smaller 500w PA when that is overkill, both man enough for the bass. Any big rig for me would all be about the ego...

If I do need stage monitoring for the other band members, I use the new superb Peavey IPR PA power amp (3.5kg!!) and a BFB Midget-T. Now my cable box weighs the most out of my whole rig!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1275763' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:00 PM']So you've got an amp that looks good but is too heavy to take out! What's the point of that?[/quote]

Um....a big boy called Ed Friedland told me to get it...................and then he ran away (and bought himself a Genz Benz shuttle).

[quote name='chris_b' post='1275763' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:00 PM']So you've got an amp that looks good but is too heavy to take out! What's the point of that?

Most of my bands want the bass flapping their trousers. Small, loud, light black boxes do that and don't break my back. I don't care what it looks like, at the moment I'm using the lightest and most sensible rig I've ever owned.[/quote]

+1 to that. Even in some large venues that have a decent PA they often only put a smidge of bass through it as the band want the backline pumping and the amp/cabs project so well.

I dont think its unusual for someone to spend (a lot of) money on a rig to get a certain tone and to want to use that tone at gigs.

I sometimes find that while a full PA will get the tone of the bass across (normally it just sounds like a P bass IME) a lot of people need their rig to get their tone. While im sure it still sounds good out front, if you cant play off your tone it can be a bit of a downer, again, IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='silddx' post='1275635' date='Jun 20 2011, 10:31 AM']Sansamp and monitors?[/quote]Did that with a BOD xT Pro but somehow the rest of the band could not get on with the bass through the monitors so I slid back to the MB combo (small light and loud)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1275636' date='Jun 20 2011, 10:32 AM']I've got a 900w amp that weighs next to nowt and has a lovely DI. I have two nice cabs that are an easy lift, but I usually only use one. And I quite often get mic'd up.

More importantly, the amp has a volume knob that goes down as well as up.

I'm a while away from going down the Pod + in-ears route.[/quote]Now got my MB LM Tube and Barefaced Super Twelve which is a bit bigger, and potentially somewhat louder than the combo was (as it uses the full power of the amp @ 4 ohms) but I have had a little less grief about the volume from the boys at gigs since the rig was completed - though sadly not the sound guy on Saturday :) I think that is down to the fact that is is a warmer fundamental that sits a bit better than the combo did (IMO). My main problem now is that both the G&L's and Wal are high output so the input is below 9 o'clock, the master around 9 o'clock and the basses rolled back (the Wal has been down to only 1 or 2 at times.

Still the current rig is [i][b][u]the[/u][/b][/i] one for me (until the next GAS attack :) which may be a Genz Benz - I need a Bass Bash to have a listen/compare)

[quote name='gjones' post='1275775' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:14 PM']Um....a big boy called Ed Friedland told me to get it...................and then he ran away (and bought himself a Genz Benz shuttle).[/quote]
I feel your pain, literally. I put my back out twice lifting my Mesa Boogie cabs.

I think it's time to review your needs. I can't do away with a rig; I play in too many different situations but my weight limits are 30lbs to 40lbs depending on the cab, 10lbs for an amp and 10lbs for a bass. These days there is a fantastic amount of gear to be had within those limits.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1275763' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:00 PM']So you've got an amp that looks good but is too heavy to take out! What's the point of that?

Most of my bands want the bass flapping their trousers. Small, loud, light black boxes do that and don't break my back. I don't care what it looks like, at the moment I'm using the lightest and most sensible rig I've ever owned.[/quote]

Agree with this thinking.

I have pub rig with 2 112's and I have 2 210's for a larger stage. Both push BIG air.
I may add a louder amp but don't really think I need more than 400watts anyway..so it is GAS driving this need fro a DB750.

I pick and choose what rig from a stage and load./carry POV but it all goes in my car.
The 210 option takes a little more space but then I don't carry lights for large stages anyway.

Bass monitoring is iffy on some P.As...and they may not have a mix for it anyway.
The key to monitoring and mix though is to set the levels and keep to them..something that drums and gtrs don't always get..
What is the point of a soundcheck anyway, otherwise..??

[quote name='silddx' post='1275882' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:50 PM']A question for those who get to gigs on public transport and have to take an amp and cab of some sort.

How do you do it? Use a trolley of some sort?[/quote]

Ive only done it once but yes, cab went on one of those lightweight fold up trolleys, amp and leads went in a rucksack strapped to the top of the cab and bass on back.
I only used the tube and im not sure i would use a bus but i can see it working ok, and probably takes less space than a child in a large buggy so its not too bad.

Its great having a lightweight rig. I can make the trek from car to stage in one go, then go back and forth 4-5 times helping the others with all their gear :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

I used to split between 3 rigs, practise and really small gigs (open mic night etc) I'd take a Peavey Basic 60 or a 150 watt Peterson Combo, bigger gigs got the 4x10 and Acoustic head, but it was such a pain choosing and as more big gigs came in, it became a back breaker. Now I've got the Trace rig it's great because I can split it. For small gigs / practise / shows, the cab, head and my pedal flightcase fit nicely in the boot of my Polo, bass in gigbag on back seat. For bigger gigs, drop a seat and the extra cab goes in, basses go in a Hiscox just to play it safe.

It's not too heavy a rig either (compared that that bloody 4x10 anyway :) )

[quote name='silddx' post='1275882' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:50 PM']A question for those who get to gigs on public transport and have to take an amp and cab of some sort.

How do you do it? Use a trolley of some sort?[/quote]

I hire a car when possible for gigs, but if the gig is nearby or the pay does not justify the car hire cost, then I either walk or use public transport, and usually take a 1x10 combo on a trolley. I sometimes use the Glasgow underground while carrying the aforementioned amp, double bass, and rucksack with a foldable stool in it.

It is not an experience I enjoy.

Jennifer

[quote name='chris_b' post='1275873' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:42 PM']I feel your pain, literally. I put my back out twice lifting my Mesa Boogie cabs.

I think it's time to review your needs. I can't do away with a rig; I play in too many different situations but my weight limits are 30lbs to 40lbs depending on the cab, 10lbs for an amp and 10lbs for a bass. These days there is a fantastic amount of gear to be had within those limits.[/quote]

It could well be the time to bite the bullet and wave goodbye to my monster combo and buy something with less character but also less potential to wrench my shoulder out of it's socket.

On another note - I notice you're playing with Robin Bibi's band. Will you be at the Harvest Time Festival in Ireland with the band in Sept? If you are I'll come say hello. My lot are playing there as well.

[quote name='endorka' post='1275891' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:58 PM']I hire a car when possible for gigs, but if the gig is nearby or the pay does not justify the car hire cost, then I either walk or use public transport, and usually take a 1x10 combo on a trolley. I sometimes use the Glasgow underground while carrying the aforementioned amp, double bass, and rucksack with a foldable stool in it.

[b]It is not an experience I enjoy.[/b]
Jennifer[/quote]
I'm not surprised!