Why become a member? ×

Single-Cut: fad or future?

Roland Rock

As somewhat of a SC fan I must point out a few things:
1. Because a SC bass has a longer upper (non)horn, usually the balance is often better. Especially with a bass like a Warwick Thumb, the SC variant actually is well balanced, where the normal Thumb is not imo.
2. More wood equals more mass, which does make a difference sound wise. Not saying it is better, but it is different (just like creating cavities changes the tonal character).
3. A SC bass can have a deeper cutaway to enable better access to higher registers. Try reaching the 21st fret on a Precision...... it's hard.
4. It's just a different shape, not all basses need to look like a JB. If it's been acceptable for years on Guitars (LES PAUL ANYONE?), why not on Basses?

Need I go on? For the SC hater, I must admit that some examples are FUGLY as.....

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.[/quote]
Just a quick question, as I'm genuinely interested to know.
Yes he's certainly looking at the neck, but what is it about the pic that convinces you he's [i]staring[/i] at it? For all we know, that could quite easily have been the first time he looked at it all night.

[quote name='urb' post='1278597' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:02 PM']Honestly who cares if they are a fad or not?[/quote]

People who don't own them. People who do own them don't care, they just play them.

Edited by Mark Latimour

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1278606' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:12 PM']People who don't own them. People who do own them don't care, they just play them.[/quote]

Exactly my feelings on the subject - thanks Mark

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277181' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:30 PM']1) He's [i]staring[/i] at the neck. This, to me, equates to self-indulgence, and to heck with the audience.[/quote]

I stare at the neck, a lot, well the lines on the side of it anyway, still terrified of hitting wrong notes since I went fretless... :) Nowt to do with self-indulgence, more to do with wanting to get it right.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1277215' date='Jun 21 2011, 03:51 PM']Nothing silly about having an opinion - [i]not[/i] a prejudice. I've been to see some of the 'truly great bass players' and became bored at the self-indulgence rather quickly. I don't intend wasting any more of my money to pander to the slightly elitist attitude you show in your post. :lol:
If you simply attack another person's views as silly, without trying to understand their preferences, how are you going to convert them to your point of view. Your loss. :)[/quote]

Chill mate, there is no need to get wound up here. The world needs people thumping root notes and playing Mustang Sally. So you're not cut out for the fusion elite, no need to feel bad about it.

By the way, as Bilbo pointed out, you were completely wrong about AJ back there, I mean, come on - [i]slapping[/i]? This is Anthony Jackson we're talking about here. A bloke who, when not flexing in fusion and Latin jazz bands plays for massive artists and probably recorded half the basslines you hear pub cover bands knocking out! :)

[quote name='Rich' post='1278564' date='Jun 22 2011, 02:30 PM']Just a quick question, as I'm genuinely interested to know.
Yes he's certainly looking at the neck, but what is it about the pic that convinces you he's [i]staring[/i] at it? For all we know, that could quite easily have been the first time he looked at it all night.[/quote]

Keep watching, he's not moving at all. :)

[quote name='HazBeen' post='1278514' date='Jun 22 2011, 05:51 AM']As somewhat of a SC fan I must point out a few things:
1. Because a SC bass has a longer upper (non)horn, usually the balance is often better. Especially with a bass like a Warwick Thumb, the SC variant actually is well balanced, where the normal Thumb is not imo.
3. A SC bass can have a deeper cutaway to enable better access to higher registers. Try reaching the 21st fret on a Precision...... it's hard.

Need I go on? For the SC hater, I must admit that some examples are FUGLY as.....[/quote]
1. The horn on a pbass goes to the 12th fret, SC horns are not longer. Some of the shortest horns are SC, for example the ASAT or Les Paul style basses.
3. The two things are unrelated, the Zon Hyperbass or Curbow are good examples.

SC hater :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1279293' date='Jun 23 2011, 02:01 AM']Except for the owners who care and are posting in this thread trying to defend their choices and pretend they don't care at the same time :)[/quote]

I doubt they even really care. Haters will hate. I suspect they are just posting to rile up the feeble minded! :)

I wasn't a great fan when I first saw one, but they have definitely grown on me. I asked the question about the balance on a previous post a couple of years ago, & most people said it was the same as a normal EB with horns.

If had a spare few grand to commission one, I'd have one.

Cheers,
louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1281422' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:49 PM']I wasn't a great fan when I first saw one, but they have definitely grown on me. I asked the question about the balance on a previous post a couple of years ago, & most people said it was the same as a normal EB with horns.

If had a spare few grand to commission one, I'd have one.

Cheers,
louisthebass[/quote]
I can only speak for my Bolin (which has a strap button extension on the top bout so isn't a likely fair assessment of all SCs) but it has perfect balance. Oddly enough I can switch between my Bolin, Sterling or Warwicks and the last thing that I consider is whether the bass is a SC or DC... they are just 'basses'!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1281494' date='Jun 24 2011, 08:47 PM']Oddly enough I can switch between my Bolin, Sterling or Warwicks and the last thing that I consider is whether the bass is a SC or DC... they are just 'basses'![/quote]
+1 to that, sound wins over style

I do wish I could like the look of SCs, but I just don't. I've played urb's Sei at a Northampton bass bash, and it was jolly nice, and I've played mcgraham's W&T Cronos 5, and that was extremely jolly nice (the nicest 5-string neck I've encountered) but I can't afford one anyway, but I just don't like the looks.

Ah, forgot to say this - I think the Les Paul shape works better than other singlecuts because it started with a symmetrical body and then a chunk got cut out of it, rather than starting with an asymmetrical body and sticking a chunk back into it.

Edited by tauzero