Why become a member? ×

Single-Cut: fad or future?

Roland Rock

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1274966' date='Jun 19 2011, 05:18 PM']

Blame that guy if you don't like the Warwick thumb SC, he designed it with his friend :) Pretty good tone though, (even though i sense many won't care for what he plays haha)[/quote]

Oh no, bloke sitting in his bedroom tapping on a singlecut, this isn't good for the stereotype! :)

All the same, that Thumb singlecut...yuck. I can't believe it took two people to make that!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1275067' date='Jun 19 2011, 06:27 PM']All the same, that Thumb singlecut...yuck. I can't believe it took two people to make that![/quote]

I can - one to design the upper half, and one to design the lower half. Trouble is, they didn't talk to eachother :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1274953' date='Jun 19 2011, 05:08 PM']Despite being not agreeing with some of what Chris says, I really enjoy his posts, especially when he's being Fenderist. Chris, you may be into 80's tat, but your forthright opinions make BC a more fun place to hang out. :)[/quote]

Oh I love Chris I wouldn't want him to change :)

So, did we come to the conclusion that a Les Paul bass is a single cut? :)

I like the Les Paul, but I'm not keen on the "boutique" single cuts out there. Even the curviest ones look bloated and top heavy (visually). They may be the most balanced thing on a strap, but they look totally out of step visually.

If you like 'em then good for you and if you're lucky enough to own one then play the hell out of it wherever and however you like. They're just not for me.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1275067' date='Jun 19 2011, 06:27 PM']Oh no, bloke sitting in his bedroom tapping on a singlecut, this isn't good for the stereotype! :)

All the same, that Thumb singlecut...yuck. I can't believe it took two people to make that![/quote]

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1275072' date='Jun 19 2011, 06:32 PM']I can - one to design the upper half, and one to design the lower half. Trouble is, they didn't talk to eachother :)[/quote]

Or one to draw it, one to hold the bucket. :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1274399' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:14 AM']Love em or loathe them; I would take my Bolin over virtually any other bass but I also love my Streamer, so I guess I have best of both worlds!
[/quote]
That Bolin is lovely!
(The Sonus is pretty hot too.... :) )

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1274536' date='Jun 19 2011, 03:11 AM']I think there is an arguement for SC having less twisting possible so they really do feel like one big instrument rather than a necland body, I like them.[/quote]That could be true but there's also the argument that since one side of the neck is extremely rigid and the other side isn't that any normal flexing or simple truss rod adjustments will impart a twist since only one side of the neck can move. If the truss rod is active between the 12th and 24th fret it can only twist the neck in that area.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1275462' date='Jun 20 2011, 12:55 AM']That was my original point when I posted that :) You just changed it back to the original that I was pointing out had another side.[/quote]

*Cough* [i]Arsenal!!![/i]*Cough*

Yesterday I had a pub gig and I brought my Adamovic singlecut along (amplified it with a Bergantino AE2X12 and an Epifani amp) and used it on the standard pub-repertoire (from Pretty woman-Roy Orbison to Use Somebody (KOL), from I'm a Believer to Wonderful tonight) and it sounded just great..
It's the lightest bass I have ever played (apart from my purple bass, which was made of plywood), the action is ridiculously low without any rattle, it has easy controls and lots of punch...
I simply adore it and it's one of the best basses I have ever owned (nearly 120 after 25 years).
I don't actually care if it's a singlecut or not : it brings out the best in me, it is a good friend of my back (you can play it for hours on stage) and I love the looks..

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1274259' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:32 PM']I agree that they are not in every pub gig, but they seem to be an option with all of the luthiers now, more so than in the past, suggesting that more and more people are asking for them. Reading Bass mags, there seems to be an increase in players using them, such as Damian Erskine, Dave Swift, Matt Garrison etc.

edit: obviously the attachment is a crap mockup done by me on a saturday night - God, I miss gigging![/quote]

Wow! I'm amazed at the discussion the single cut has generated yet again! - I wonder what the discussion would have been like if Leo had never designed the 'double cut' and pushed the telecaster look for guitars and basses instead?

Can I suggest a series of threads to keep BC alive for the next millennium or two?

5-strings: fad or future?
Frets: fad or future?
Fretless: fad or future?
Roundwounds: fad or future?
Solid-colour finishes: fad or future?
Lungs: fad or future?
Active basses: fad or future?
6-strings: fad or future?
Personal preference: fad or future?
Les Dennis: fad or future?
Web forums: fad or future?
Loud sighing: fad or future?
7-strings: fad or future?
Moist toilet tissue: fad or future?

and so on, and so on... we can even do each one repeatedly, maybe every few weeks, just to keep things fresh.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1275324' date='Jun 19 2011, 10:06 PM']that's not too bad to my eyes...i think the slimness of the body offsets the extra wood for the singlecut.[/quote]
That's what I like about it, even with the extra wood, it's still slinky and streamlined.