Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1268989' date='Jun 14 2011, 06:19 PM']ken, im really enjoying you on here, you,ve got balls of steel! :)[/quote]

me too..I'd almost buy a Smith bass on the basis of this thread and no nonsense approach...but only a proper one. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1266852' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:24 AM']Probably the right place for it, tbh. Keep it all 'in-house' and on the QT, so to speak. :)

Ooops. My mistake. Wrong blob. Meant [b]thepurpleblob[/b].

It's all [i]very [/i]confusing. Sorry :lol:[/quote]

the the is very important....... :)

[quote]Well concerned or not, I want to see it. I remember after the last time I had a small order I had to make 3 trips to retrieve the money. It was a royal pain for maybe $35. or so by Money Gram. I just came back from Western Union. It takes time to get these small amount of which we make virtually nothing on the order at best. You might have been on the end of that transaction that took forever so I may have made a policy concerning the trouble we go thur since our bank prefers not to bother with individual foreign credit card sales. Too small of an amount to amortize the time and trouble. Also, in the UK we have a guy you can buy from now anyway. Bass Direct as well as String Busters.[/quote]

I have PM'd you the relevant email. It wasn't me on the end of the transaction as I haven't made any transactions - yet.

S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1269287' date='Jun 14 2011, 04:54 PM']I have PM'd you the relevant email. It wasn't me on the end of the transaction as I haven't made any transactions - yet.

S[/quote]

What I meant was that your request may have been the following one after that one that was so much trouble. I have no idea what you had asked for so I am at a disadvantage to discuss it. I did get your email message and it seems it was the case as mentioned.

There are different subjects here as far as minimums, service and responsibility. They range from someone wanting to 'buy' something 'small. and have it shipped half way around the world for whatever bass or reason or, some used 10-20 old bass came to you 2nd or 3rd hand and you 'think' you know what part will fix it or, you just bought a new bass and something is not right about it. We will treat each circumstance here differently as they are all different levels of want, need and deserved.

What you're saying makes total sense Ken. I agree that there's got to be a limit where a bass is no longer your responsibility, you can't be responsible for basses that have had decades of use and abuse.

I think some complaints are justified though. It's not fair that Bassbluestew gets lumped with a minimum order cost of $300 because someone before him had you running in circles, likewise on the costs of postage on cheap parts, people on here buy strings from the US all the time and the postage is minimal for something that probably weighs and costs more than the parts people have talked about in this thread.

Maybe, since the parts aren't any profit to you, if they're available in europe, you could tell your UK reps what parts they are and they could supply them independantly of you. Obviously it's better if the parts come from you so that they're definitely the right parts, but it sounds like that would cut costs and bother for everyone involved. I don't know if it's possible though.

Thanks for signing up and giving objective views from your side though, it's easy to get carried away with bashing brands and people when they're not around to defend themselves and it's equally easy to get carried away agressively defending yourself when you find out that people have been bashing you without your knowledge.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1269428' date='Jun 14 2011, 06:27 PM']What you're saying makes total sense Ken. I agree that there's got to be a limit where a bass is no longer your responsibility, you can't be responsible for basses that have had decades of use and abuse.

I think some complaints are justified though. It's not fair that Bassbluestew gets lumped with a minimum order cost of $300 because someone before him had you running in circles, likewise on the costs of postage on cheap parts, people on here buy strings from the US all the time and the postage is minimal for something that probably weighs and costs more than the parts people have talked about in this thread.

Maybe, since the parts aren't any profit to you, if they're available in europe, you could tell your UK reps what parts they are and they could supply them independently of you. Obviously it's better if the parts come from you so that they're definitely the right parts, but it sounds like that would cut costs and bother for everyone involved. I don't know if it's possible though.

Thanks for signing up and giving objective views from your side though, it's easy to get carried away with bashing brands and people when they're not around to defend themselves and it's equally easy to get carried away agressively defending yourself when you find out that people have been bashing you without your knowledge.[/quote]

Please understand I mean no disrespect to anyone when I give prices which actually reflect my cost to do business. On the other hand, we are not a retail parts supplier. We are a manufacturer and if someone wants a bottle of Polish or a Strap, it is a fraction of an order of what we would require a company to make it worth all the business steps to go thru. On the other hand, if someone has a broken bass, new or old, that is different. We want the bass back 'on the road' asap but in many cases, bass owners must pay their part as well. As far as sourcing parts, the parts made to fit our circuit boards are made usually special to the exact size and spec we need them. I have no idea the exact make or model of parts that we buy from another supplier here that stocks the extras and who makes our printed circuit boards.

One time we were short on switches in which we wait 4-6 months for each batch we order. Someone mentions his wife distributes that brand of parts where she works. I said ok, here are the specs, threaded shaft length, color of metal and, gold plated contacts. The next day, "oh, that;s custom, they have to make those from scratch"!. Like I didn't already know that.. lol

Most of what is on our basses is made specifically for them from scratch. Did you know I personally ground down every Strap Lock end in the beginning to recess them? I still have the File I used in 1979. Then, my friend got a milling machine so I shipped him batches of the buttons to grind down and save my elbows. Then, 6-7 years later, Dunlop BOUGHT that Product from the company that made them and offered to make for me and market 'The Recessed Strap Lok model'. So, those parts you can buy now. Still, people buy from us when ordering. Selling small orders in the USA is MUCH easier all around. Once you cross the border, we have payment issues and shipping issues not to mention People Issues!!

A girl calls and says, "my ex-boyfriend used my visa card and we are not together now so I want a refund". Who wants to be in the money loosing end of that transaction fighting Visa from some country for the few dollars 'gross' we made which is actually, we lost about $30 in total on the whole deal considering all the time and business work for the transaction?

Edited by Ken Smith

I want to add here that Ken has taken the time and effort to contact me privately which I really appreciate and hopefully we'll have a happy ending.

I was going to keep this info private, as it's a private matter between Ken and I but I feel that in the interest of balance and fairness it should be made public. I hope that's ok with you Ken.

S

We take foreign payments all the time, by paypal, credit card, or bank transfer. If there are any extra charges for processing foreign payments i've never heard of them. Our margins on small items mean that we always make a profit. Quite often this involves shipping something that weighs only a few grams and only worth a couple of quid.

I'm not doubting Ken's business acumen, but something is very wrong there.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1269806' date='Jun 15 2011, 05:55 AM']We take foreign payments all the time, by paypal, credit card, or bank transfer. If there are any extra charges for processing foreign payments i've never heard of them. Our margins on small items mean that we always make a profit. Quite often this involves shipping something that weighs only a few grams and only worth a couple of quid.

I'm not doubting Ken's business acumen, but something is very wrong there.[/quote]

No, I think Ken is right, at least speaking as a private individual in the US, not sure about businesses. PayPal does charge a different amount (e.g., 3.9% for payments under $3K vs. 1.9-2.9%) when handling "crossborder" payments and if I use my credit card to make a foreign, i.e., non-US, purchase there is a fee associated with that purchase related to the currency conversion. Credit card companies have started including that on the printed statement.

[quote name='GeeCee' post='1269889' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:54 AM']No, I think Ken is right, at least speaking as a private individual in the US, not sure about businesses. PayPal does charge a different amount (e.g., 3.9% for payments under $3K vs. 1.9-2.9%) when handling "crossborder" payments and if I use my credit card to make a foreign, i.e., non-US, purchase there is a fee associated with that purchase related to the currency conversion. Credit card companies have started including that on the printed statement.[/quote]

In that case it sounds like you're saying the buyer pays the extra handling fee?

Like I say, there may well be charges, but they don't significantly impact our margin. Say we have a peice of paper that costs us 20p. We might sell it for £1 retail. If someone buys that for £1 from France, we charge them the appropriate amount for airmail (so no profit or loss there) and make our standard 80p. If there's a 3% charge for processing the French card - who cares?

I mean, if your margins are so tight that they're being affected by such small charges, you need to increase your margins.

Perhaps i'm being thick

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1269781' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:43 AM']I want to add here that Ken has taken the time and effort to contact me privately which I really appreciate and hopefully we'll have a happy ending.[/quote]
I appreciate that good customer service is a good idea, but I think giving a customer a "happy ending" with a transaction for music gear may be taking it a bit far :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1267837' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:31 PM']He was rude and arrogant in places.[/quote]
He's from New York - Whadaya gonna do about it??

After wading thru this (very entertaining) thread I do find myself taking a shine to Mr Smith. This is something that pleases me greatly as I bought a s/h KS Burner many years ago (still have it) and out of all the basses that I have ever owned, it is certainly one of my favourites!

If I was ever going to buy a boutique bass I always thought that it might be a Fodera, but after reading this thread I would definitely consider a Ken Smith…!

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1270831' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:21 PM']And you would love it dearly...........................have never played a Burner so no idea what they are like, but my BSR is the poodles plums.

S[/quote]
I got the Burner for just over £500 about 20 years ago - really nice bass for the money, wish that I had come across it 10 years before!

Bumpted into a guy I used to know at a jam session a while ago and got to play his really nice (American) Fodera - he wanted to know if I still had the bright red KS Burner and was talking about what a great bass it was!

Would definitely like to try out one of the top of the range KS basses..........

[quote]QUOTE (chrismuzz @ Jun 16 2011, 12:21 AM)
Ken Smith Ate My Hamster!

You don't know how tempted I am to get that printed on a t-shirt.[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha...........I bet Ken would love that too ( contrary to some opinion, he's really not had a sense of humour bypass ) .........go on Ped, there must be a Basschat Tshirt lurking somewhere that we could have that printed on the back and send it to him as a gift.

S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1271037' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:20 AM']Ha Ha Ha...........I bet Ken would love that too ( contrary to some opinion, he's really not had a sense of humour bypass ) .........go on Ped, there must be a Basschat Tshirt lurking somewhere that we could have that printed on the back and send it to him as a gift.

S[/quote]

Seriously man, he ain't going to give you a free bass.