Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1268066' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:09 PM']If one wants someone to simper and giggle and ask about one's holidays, one should f*** off down the hairdressers'. :)[/quote]

Which, as I haven't been on holiday for about ten years, explains the state of my hair... :) :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' post='1268061' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:01 PM']No more so than a lot of the other posters in the thread.[/quote]

Yeah, ive seen much ruder posts over the last few weeks on here. Considering the posts early on in this thread im finding it hard to believe some of the stories of rudeness.
Considering Kens reputation i think he has been very restrained.

number 307!

all over a £2 part you can source anywhere in the world! woooo! Well I enjoyed looking at photos of some of ken's basses, i must say i liked the look of the ash jazz bass type thing best. like the head stocks too

[quote name='Mike' post='1268122' date='Jun 14 2011, 12:34 AM']I think we're all forgetting something here.

And that's that [b]I[/b] was the first to comment on the thread. Do I win some sort of prize?[/quote]

Prize for me? Please..?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1267857' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:45 PM']Why bring Ashdown into this? :)[/quote][quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1267863' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:47 PM']Because of their impeccable customer service.[/quote]
Well, they weren't exactly overwhelmingly helpful when I contacted them about the Freebass wireless I (very briefly) had. I contacted them about some weird noises it was making, said I'd replaced all the leads and even the power supply and still no good, and I was told (twice) that the problem was "either in the receiver or the transmitter". God, really? :) Pretty much all the help I was offered. Although they were very quick in replying to my emails.

311 :lol:

I'm glad a little balance has been restored and hope Ken reads those comments too

Oh and as I said in a previous mail it was I who made the 300 buck minimum overseas order. I have checked back my emails and that is indeed what it said. It was a private email sent to me by Ken himself so I wont be posting it up for general consumption but if you feel you can't live without seeing it I'll pm you a copy on the proviso that you don't post it up. Suffice to say I wasn't mistaken.

Edited by bassbluestew

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1268171' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:01 AM']I'm glad a little balance has been restored and hope Ken reads those comments too

Oh and as I said in a previous mail it was I who made the 300 buck minimum overseas order. I have checked back my emails and that is indeed what it said. It was a private email sent Tony by Ken himself so I wontbe posting it up for general consumption but if you feel you can't live without seeing it I'll pm you a copy on the proviso that you don't post it up. Suffice to say I wasn't mistaken.[/quote]
Will it be accompanied by a receipt stating what you had for your lunch that day?

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1268171' date='Jun 14 2011, 03:01 AM']I'm glad a little balance has been restored and hope Ken reads those comments too

Oh and as I said in a previous mail it was I who made the 300 buck minimum overseas order. I have checked back my emails and that is indeed what it said. It was a private email sent to me by Ken himself so I wont be posting it up for general consumption but if you feel you can't live without seeing it I'll pm you a copy on the proviso that you don't post it up. Suffice to say I wasn't mistaken.[/quote]

If it was a several years ago when we only took bank wires for foreign orders, that might have been our standard minimum. I don't remember. Email me those old emails as well. Maybe then I can read all that was said and not have to dodge blind attacks from old comments with no information to fill out the situation what was.

[quote name='silddx' post='1268174' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:06 AM']Will it be accompanied by a receipt stating what you had for your lunch that day?[/quote]
Had a particularly fine Dover Sole many years ago. Yes, entirely toothsome. Can't remember exactly when. I know Johnny Ludlow was there.

Of course, I was very, [i]very[/i] drunk.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1268358' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:57 AM']Had a particularly fine Dover Sole many years ago. Yes, entirely toothsome. Can't remember exactly when. I know Johnny Ludlow was there.

Of course, I was very, [i]very[/i] drunk.[/quote]

Good to see your old avatar back, Skank; always makes me smile that one :)

[quote]If it was a several years ago when we only took bank wires for foreign orders, that might have been our standard minimum. I don't remember. Email me those old emails as well. Maybe then I can read all that was said and not have to dodge blind attacks from old comments with no information to fill out the situation what was.[/quote]

Hi Ken, it was just a few months back...........I haven't owned my bass for too long. I'll be happy to send you the email, but to be honest I'm really not too concerned. I really just wanted a nice Smith strap to go with my bass ( you know how we bassists can be - wanting everything all matching and all ) and I apologise if this came across as an attack. This was not my intention.

Glad to see your still checking in, I repeat it's good to have a luthier of your reputation and quality on board and hope we can look forward to developing a more mutually enjoyable relationship.

S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1268806' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:02 AM']Hi Ken, it was just a few months back...........I haven't owned my bass for too long. I'll be happy to send you the email, but to be honest I'm really not too concerned. I really just wanted a nice Smith strap to go with my bass ( you know how we bassists can be - wanting everything all matching and all ) and I apologise if this came across as an attack. This was not my intention.

Glad to see your still checking in, I repeat it's good to have a luthier of your reputation and quality on board and hope we can look forward to developing a more mutually enjoyable relationship.

S[/quote]

Well concerned or not, I want to see it. I remember after the last time I had a small order I had to make 3 trips to retrieve the money. It was a royal pain for maybe $35. or so by Money Gram. I just came back from Western Union. It takes time to get these small amount of which we make virtually nothing on the order at best. You might have been on the end of that transaction that took forever so I may have made a policy concerning the trouble we go thur since our bank prefers not to bother with individual foreign credit card sales. Too small of an amount to amortize the time and trouble. Also, in the UK we have a guy you can buy from now anyway. Bass Direct as well as String Busters.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1268936' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:45 PM']Also, in the UK we have a guy you can buy from now anyway. Bass Direct as well as String Busters.[/quote]

Have you considered shipping them a box of the most requested spare parts along with their next shipment of straps?
It'd save you a lot of messing about for a $15 part... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1268963' date='Jun 14 2011, 01:02 PM']Have you considered shipping them a box of the most requested spare parts along with their next shipment of straps?
It'd save you a lot of messing about for a $15 part... :)[/quote]

No. How would we know what who needs and when. The basses do not break under normal use. Also, the dealer would have to buy the parts so maybe ask them. They are new to our basses and they are in the UK. I don't know in Europe who buys from whom. Today I am sending a Truss rod nut (stripped by using the wrong wrench) and a set of strings to Turkey. I am having lunch now and my sandwich costs more than what I will make on that order.

Edited by Ken Smith

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1268976' date='Jun 14 2011, 06:11 PM']No. How would we know what who needs and when. The basses do not break under normal use. Also, the dealer would have to buy the parts so maybe ask them. They are new to our basses and they are in the UK. I don't know in Europe who buys from whom. Today I am sending a Truss rod nut (stripped by using the wrong wrench) and a set of strings to Turkey. I am having lunch now and my sandwich costs more than what I will make on that order.[/quote]

Maybe so but the guy will remember the good service and tell people.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1268976' date='Jun 14 2011, 06:11 PM']No. How would we know what who needs and when. The basses do not break under normal use. Also, the dealer would have to buy the parts so maybe ask them. They are new to our basses and they are in the UK. I don't know in Europe who buys from whom. Today I am sending a Truss rod nut (stripped by using the wrong wrench) and a set of strings to Turkey. I am having lunch now and my sandwich costs more than what I will make on that order.[/quote]

ken, im really enjoying you on here, you,ve got balls of steel! :)

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1268976' date='Jun 14 2011, 06:11 PM']Also, the dealer would have to buy the parts so maybe ask them.[/quote]

It's not up to me to sort out business deals with your dealer network to improve the poor perception that some people have with various parts of your service offering.

It was simply a suggestion given with good intentions.