Why become a member? ×

Instrument Frequency Map

alexclaber

[quote name='SJA' post='145063' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:10 PM']so the harmonics for guitar and bass peter out at about the same freq- around 5k?[/quote]

Guitar amps have fairly limited bandwidth, restricted to ~200-5000Hz due to the nature of a single speaker in an small sealed or open back cab. DI'd bass guitar can go higher than 5kHz but there's not really any harmonic content above there.

Alex

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='146336' date='Feb 25 2008, 08:14 AM']That is a fabulous piece of work. Thanks Alex.

Just to confirm, do the descriptions 'guitar' and 'bass' in that chart apply equally to acoustic and to electric?[/quote]

I'd have thought electric guitar harmonics go higher than an acoustic...but then again the 12" speakers that most guitarists use would limit anything above 5-6kHz.

[quote name='SJA' post='145063' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:10 PM']so the harmonics for guitar and bass peter out at about the same freq- around 5k?[/quote]

And
[quote name='Happy Jack' post='146336' date='Feb 25 2008, 08:14 AM']That is a fabulous piece of work. Thanks Alex.

Just to confirm, do the descriptions 'guitar' and 'bass' in that chart apply equally to acoustic and to electric?[/quote]

I think we should be careful here. Going by the rest of the instruments listed I would have assumed that they are talking double bass and classical guitar, and Im pretty sure that the harmonic content of these would be quite different to a bass and electric guitars.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

[quote name='bremen' post='146488' date='Feb 25 2008, 12:11 PM']I'd have thought electric guitar harmonics go higher than an acoustic...but then again the 12" speakers that most guitarists use would limit anything above 5-6kHz.[/quote]

Exactly - amp colouration is part of 99.99% of guitar sounds.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='146561' date='Feb 25 2008, 01:25 PM']I think we should be careful here. Going by the rest of the instruments listed I would have assumed that they are talking double bass and classical guitar, and Im pretty sure that the harmonic content of these would be quite different to a bass and electric guitars.[/quote]

Except in the instrument data window they have a photo of an electric bass guitar and an electric guitar respectively and they do refer to the difference in acoustic and electric guitar sounds. Also in a purely acoustic setting there is very little sub 100Hz output from any double bass, the body is far too small to have much output down in the low fundamentals.

It would be really interesting to see some analysis of how different mixes are divided amongst the various instruments in a band - it's a very complex issue with a lot of masking going on but it would nicely demonstrate how the different sounds slot around each other. When mixing our last EP I found that subtle cuts and boosts of only a dB or so could open up space for each instrument to be heard better, a great example being rolling ~10kHz and up off on the guitar made the cymbals sound brighter and clearer.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='146653' date='Feb 25 2008, 03:30 PM']Except in the instrument data window they have a photo of an electric bass guitar and an electric guitar,
Alex[/quote]

Ah, I stand corrected - I didn't even notice that panel on the right hand side, just went on the fact that the all the other instruments tended to be orchestral in nature. That'll teach me to read it all before commenting.

Clive.