Why become a member? ×

Something different with pick-up positioning!

warwickhunt

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='143877' date='Feb 20 2008, 05:58 PM']"The pickup can be 'wiped' through an infinite number of positions.."
Hardly infinite!

It would be interesting to hear how this bass sounds.[/quote]

Strictly speaking it is infinite - there is no limit to the smallest movement possible to attain a new position. Sure it won't be noticeable but it is a fair claim.

[quote name='Machines' post='143880' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:06 PM']Strictly speaking it is infinite - there is no limit to the smallest movement possible to attain a new position. Sure it won't be noticeable but it is a fair claim.[/quote]
Being a pedant, that's not infinite. There are still maximum and minimum positions, therefore a finite number of in between positions, even if you're saying a 1 micron movement means a new position! :)

[quote name='Merton' post='143883' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:11 PM']Being a pedant, that's not infinite. There are still maximum and minimum positions, therefore a finite number of in between positions, even if you're saying a 1 micron movement means a new position! :)[/quote]

But then you go smaller than a micron :huh:.

Lol yeah a man will cover you in suds and start giving you a clean! Could get mildly annoying.

I like innovation with pickup placements, but can't help thinking that if I had one of these I would find a position I like and that would be that. Maybe it is a good idea for a pickup company to demonstrate their pickups in different positions - but as a final product I wouldn't move it very often.

But most on-board adjustments are like that. I have the very wonderful ACG filter pre-amp fitted to my Pedulla Buzz, and the only knobs that get adjusted mid gig are the volume and pickup balance, the other 6 might as well be on trim pots. In recording I'd fiddle about with them, but live it's set with two very different sounds on each pickup and the pan is used to blend between them.

More on topic what you really need for a fully adustable pickup system is a cross between this and the Norton mainframe system where the pickup can be slid along the string length and then pivoted about the centre point.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Machines' post='143886' date='Feb 20 2008, 06:16 PM']But then you go smaller than a micron ;).[/quote]

My girlfriend was funny last night when I was testing her patience by watching the Stephen Hawking programme.

"so if the nucleus of an atom is the width of a human hair, the electron is 2 miles away? how can an atom be the width of a human hair? How can it be 2 miles when they're so small?"

:huh: :) ;)

Edited by bigjohn

THREADJACK ALERT - my missus thought white noise is so called because it comes from white goods such as the washing machine & tumble dryer - no word of a lie. :)

Back to the thread though - how about "infinitely variable between 2 points"? And it looks a bit pants.

Edited by johnnylager

I don't think the idea of a moving pickup is particulary innovative - It's been done before, just not as a wiper.

As far as I'm concerned the Lightwave systems are by far and away the most innovative thing in pickup design for years.

Does look kinda nice though

Remembers...

The Westone "Rail" Bass

The early (possibly first after Jack Cassady's [i]Alembicised[/i] Starfire?) Alembic) having brass rails set into the top for the pair of pick-ups to be slid along until the desired placement was achieved.

There's a ROM driven, electrically powered modern equivalent around, too. Rare. Expensive. Ugly. But it just might work. You set the pick-ups using the motors, "save" the positions to memory, and recall them at will.

Leo Fender's G&L "Breadboard Bass" certainly shows the value of such ideas during the development process. It's a flat, rectangular lump of Alder, set low relative to a G&L bridge and L2000 (I think) Maple/Maple neck. It wears strings, and bears many pock-marks from where pick-ups of various kinds have been screwed or [i]nailed[/i](!) into place to experiment with pick-up positons.

Overall, I'm sure most of us would find a preferred setting, and just stick to that, though!

On the Vviper Bass, I presume the pick-up (Bartolini?) has blades for a polepiece/s, or string to pick-up mis-alignment would result in poor or no output.

+1 to the comment on the Lightwave system
And I do wonder how well the Variax system would take to being put in a top quality bass. Or moved off-board altogether and used to enhance a piezo-equipped bass with a dedicated output for it?

Get thee to Big Red X's "Weird and Wonderful Basses" thread on the Bass p0rn section for some other oddities...

I'm with Ped on this one, great idea, I think it looks MUCH better than any other sliding pickup design, but it would be set and forget after a day or two of fiddling. Thinking about it, it may be advantageous to use that in conjunction with fanned frets, that way the effect would be more similar to that of the sliding pickup design.

Thinking about people who use ramps and whatnot, the Line6 variax (in all it's simulated glory) allows you to 'slide' a pickup to achieve 'any' sound you want. That's a pretty nifty feature whilst still being able to have a ramp in your favourite place, if you like the sounds of course.

Mark

[quote name='bigjohn' post='151209' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:13 PM']My girlfriend was funny last night when I was testing her patience by watching the Stephen Hawking programme.

"so if the nucleus of an atom is the width of a human hair, the electron is 2 miles away? how can an atom be the width of a human hair? How can it be 2 miles when they're so small?"

:huh: :) ;)[/quote]

Your girlfriend is Father Dougal!

I think it would be rather fun, with the addition of a windscreen wiper motor. Sort of pickup equivalent of the Leslie speaker.

I can imagine Fender bringing out the Precision version of the Grabber. "Take our revolutionary moveable pickup. Slide it towards the neck for a deep dull thud. Slide it towards the bridge for a bright high dull thud. Or slide it anywhere between for any sound you want, as long as it's a dull thud."

:)