Why become a member? ×

What makes a GREAT Bass?

xgsjx

After reading the Fender thread, Happy Jack's P bass thread & a couple of other threads, I thought I'd pose the question that the Mrs asked me last night whilst I was oiling my bass's body (the Mrs wouldn't let me rub Danish oil on her body, so it had to be)...

What makes a high end bass worth the money & where's the difference to justify it over a good sub £1000 (or even a good sub £500) job?
Is a £1300 Fender P 5 stringer as good as a £1300 Dingwall Combustion & is a £2k+ "copy" P bass from the likes of Overwater or Sadowsky any better than a Fender P & actually worth the difference?

& why do I need another bass when I'm happy with my Ibby (other than wanting 5 strings & no frets)?

Well? :)

Hopefully with the right ammo I'll talk her into letting me get a custom made Ritter Raptor :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1237523' date='May 19 2011, 10:35 PM']After reading the Fender thread, Happy Jack's P bass thread & a couple of other threads, I thought I'd pose the question that the Mrs asked me last night whilst I was oiling my bass's body (the Mrs wouldn't let me rub Danish oil on her body, so it had to be)...

What makes a high end bass worth the money & where's the difference to justify it over a good sub £1000 (or even a good sub £500) job?
Is a £1300 Fender P 5 stringer as good as a £1300 Dingwall Combustion & is a £2k+ "copy" P bass from the likes of Overwater or Sadowsky any better than a Fender P & actually worth the difference?

& why do I need another bass when I'm happy with my Ibby (other than wanting 5 strings & no frets)?

Well? :)

Hopefully with the right ammo I'll talk her into letting me get a custom made Ritter Raptor :lol:[/quote]

Just ask her with she needs so many pairs of shoes, always works for me. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1237526' date='May 19 2011, 10:37 PM']do you know penguin is spelt penguin, not pengueng?

justpointingthatout....[/quote]
I know :) So, are you thinking of penguins or basses? :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1237539' date='May 19 2011, 10:45 PM']Just ask her with she needs so many pairs of shoes, always works for me. :lol:[/quote]
I would, but she's only got 3 pairs of shoes & I have 5 pairs :D

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1237523' date='May 19 2011, 10:35 PM']is a £2k+ "copy" P bass from the likes of Overwater or Sadowsky any better than a Fender P & actually worth the difference?[/quote]

I really don't get why there's such a massive market for 'luxury' Fender copies, but there are loads of manufacturers filling that market with instruments. Why not just make something new and better if you're such a good ****ing instrument builder?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1237523' date='May 19 2011, 10:35 PM']& why do I need another bass when I'm happy with my Ibby (other than wanting 5 strings & no frets)?[/quote]

Yeah there's 5 strings, fretlesses, even if you only have two of the same bass you can justify it by stringing one of them with flats, it's easy to find an excuse to have a couple of extra basses.

My missus knows the Thumb bass is the one I always wanted so it's the one I'll never sell, fortunately it's her favourite too, I bought a Jazz bass last week and she suggested that I could sell my other Jazz now, but I think I am going to use the flatwounds / roundwounds gambit - I'll let you know how I get on. :)

how can you justify..or better..how can you describe the smell of the ocean, the deep blue, the sound of the waves and the taste of that salt water to a person
who have never seen the ocean and the only thing this person knows is a river?
how can you justify the detail in punch or lowend to one who probably does not even hear the bass in a song?

it is easy..justify it with your love and passion for it.
as she is loving you..she will understand.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1237600' date='May 19 2011, 11:43 PM']What makes a great bass, to me?

If it plays well, and sounds great in the mix of whichever band I`m in.[/quote]
+1.. ive spent thousands on basses , i worked it out and it was coming up to 10,000 pounds. and after all that ive got an MIJ 62 jazz with an Audere and im happier with this bass than any of the others.. go figure.. thing is although it yes was expensive, but the experience of owning all those basses taught me what i know and want from an instrument.

a good bass really is what makes you happy.. no matter of cost... comes down to playability, looks, and tone.. tone being the most important..IMHO

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1237539' date='May 19 2011, 10:45 PM']Just ask her with she needs so many pairs of shoes, always works for me. :)[/quote]

Or...

Van Gogh expressed his artistic prowess using a paintbrush whilst bass players use bass guitars.

Van Gogh had more than one paint brush...

I think a "great" bass, is one that you connect with. Which is something where i think the price tag doesn't really come into it, though if you find some £200 Made in Korea bass which your [i]really[/i] dig but say some build quality or finishing quality issues show, or its just old and battered and needs to be retired after years of service, a "high end" version with similat to identical specs makes sense, (If that post makes sense!)

But in the end the "greatness" is in the feel, not in the price IMHO

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1237803' date='May 20 2011, 08:55 AM']I think a "great" bass, is one that you connect with. Which is something where i think the price tag doesn't really come into it, though if you find some £200 Made in Korea bass which your [i]really[/i] dig but say some build quality or finishing quality issues show, or its just old and battered and needs to be retired after years of service, a "high end" version with similat to identical specs makes sense, (If that post makes sense!)

But in the end the "greatness" is in the feel, not in the price IMHO[/quote]
+1

Still prefer my 650 quid used spector for sound and feel to all the other basses.

Jazz73, I like your thinking!

The Mrs had said that if she had the money, she'd buy me whatever bass I wanted. She doesn't begrudge it at all.
It's more a case of curiosity.

I had given some examples of what might make a bass dearer, such as the wood used, the electronics, the finish & so on.
Fair enough, I can't add a string onto my bass to make it a 5 (unless I want guitar spacing), but she's said "if you like the way "X" sounds, then why not use the same electronics, pickups & so on that X uses & pop em in Y? Eg, sticking Sadowsky components in a Squire.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1237600' date='May 19 2011, 11:43 PM']What makes a great bass, to me?

If it plays well, and sounds great in the mix of whichever band I`m in.[/quote]
Don't forget looks.

With the choice available these days there's no need to settle for a bass you think is ugly any more than you would settle for a bass that impedes your playing technique or doesn't sound right.

For me, it has to have everything that i want.
My 5 string Jazz has it all for me.The,in no particular order,sound/shape/colour/feel/ finish/hardware/a certain uniqueness to its looks,and it was built by a friend (bass doc) i might add that it has been MY bass for about 10 years,has done near on 1000 gigs,is starting to look a bit "lived in"but thats all down to me,and i love it as much as the day that i picked it up.

My Precision,also built by bass doc,has it all apart from the finish.
Having had literally hundreds of basses,these 2 plus a 1968 Precision,a 60's EB3 and a Hohner 2BA and a bass doc built Jazz are the only ones that ever did it for me.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1237567' date='May 19 2011, 11:08 PM']I really don't get why there's such a massive market for 'luxury' Fender copies, but there are loads of manufacturers filling that market with instruments. Why not just make something new and better if you're such a good ****ing instrument builder?[/quote]
That's because the average bassist has a comfort zone about six inches wide. :)

In a mix of pragmatism and shallowness, playability and looks are at the top of my list. I'd sort of love a Wood & Tronics because of the superb playability, but the reason I haven't sold my soul to the devil again [1] is that the looks do nothing for me. The reason I cashed in my entire bass collection (of two basses) and got a massive (at the time) loan from the bank was that the JD Thumb was the most playable bass I'd ever encountered (still is) and it was oddly attractive to me.

[1] Last time, he got a refund off Paypal. The cheek of it.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1237523' date='May 19 2011, 11:35 PM']What makes a high end bass worth the money & where's the difference to justify it over a good sub £1000 (or even a good sub £500) job?

Hopefully with the right ammo I'll talk her into letting me get a custom made Ritter Raptor :)[/quote]
There's a school of thought that says paying anything over 2k for any Fender clone is money spent on a name rather than wood, electronics & skilled labour, (unless it's inlayed with gold and diamonds of course).

That said, I figure a high end bass, especially one made for you, makes you a happier person, gives you more inspiration than your £99 plywood Encore did and consequently makes you play better regardless of setup, pickups, hardware etc. And surely a happier 'you' would make a happier wife too...

BTW, I find massage oil works better on my wife than danish oil does, just don't try rubbing it into your woodgrain

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1237523' date='May 19 2011, 10:35 PM']After reading the Fender thread, Happy Jack's P bass thread & a couple of other threads, I thought I'd pose the question that the Mrs asked me last night whilst I was oiling my bass's body (the Mrs wouldn't let me rub Danish oil on her body, so it had to be)...

......[/quote]

The ultimate decision will be down to you anyway. If you can't see, feel or hear the difference then don't go down that route.

But just to say that are a fair few basses retailed in the high st over £1000 and you should put them down straight away, IMO.
And there are so many no where near that price that you don't even have to pick up to know it isn't going to work. They just start off all wrong.
A certain budget model turned up at our local music school the other day...which I managed to get a look at it and I can tell you that I was 150% on the money with my initial thoughts about it. I still laugh about that..!!!!!!

But, having said that, it is how you get along with these things.

I've played Smiths and Sadowsky's etc and thought they wanted way too much money for those particular items BUT they did sound great.
If I found one I liked, I would buy one, for sure, though and they do ooze quality, IMO.

I don't really think you can get someone else to justify why you should spend that money..you can either convince yourself or you can't.